AMP 1/144 KC-10

Jonah,

I have a couple AMP 1/144 KC-10s ordered since late October.  I expect them any day now!  They are based on the new Eastern Express DC-10-30 (late) kits which feature all the latest mods on the DC-10, including the forward wing to fuselage bulge that is missing from the Revell KC-10 kit.   I'll post photos when they arrive, unless someone else beats me to it.

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Received my AMP KC-10 today.  I'm happy with it.  Panel lines are appropriate for the scale and appear to be consistent.  There is a complete flight deck and for those wanting to put the gear down it looks nice and detailed.  Also included are underwing refueling pods.  The engines have nice detail also and I think they will look good once completed.   The decals are in register and appear useable.  Also included are masks for the windscreen and wheels.  There is no flash on any of the parts.  In my opinion the only negative which is typical for short run kits is the sprue gates interfere with the mating surfaces but it should not be a major problem.  Also there are no alignment pins for the fuselage but for your average modeler I don't think that will be a major problem.  The flap actuators and engines have location holes.  Overall appears to be a good kit.  Picked mine up off of Ebay from a place in Illinois.

Terry

Bought the last one that Amodel on eBay had in stock (located in IL, I’m guessing same retailer efd327 bought his from) on Saturday. It was delivered Tuesday while I was on a trip.   Finally I had time to look in the box last night. I’ll echo what the others have said. It test fit a few parts and fit was good. Decals are okay but I plan to get the Caracal sheet because I know the Cartograph decals will perform flawlessly. My two complaints about the kit are these; since it based on the DC-10 airliner there are panel lines above and below where the windows go and there is no cargo door molded in the left fuselage side.  The panel lines are easily filled. Scribing a cargo door will be a challenge because my scribing skills are poor.  The alternative would be to just build the KLU KDC-10 version. 

Overall a good kit kit and I think it will build up into a good representation of the

KC-10. 

@okthree, The AMP / MikroKir KC-10 kit is the Easter Express kit plastic depicting a very late DC-10-30 passenger jet with all the latest mods. McDonnell Douglas kept adding improvements to the DC-10 as it was in production.  So, even though an operator may have two similar model airframes,  i.e. DC-10-30CF, depending on what line number they were, one may have certain aerodynamic mods versus the other one.  Some simple mods were retrofitted to earlier examples, such as the small fillet atop engine No 2 in front of the vertical stabilizer, but many were not retrofitted.  For a decent run-down of the DC-10/MD-11, see Dave Hingten's excellent article on AirlinerCafe. The USAF KC-10s were some of the last DC-10s to be produced, so they had all the aerodynamic mods built in, along with the military refueling mods.  Dutch KDC-10-30CFs were early to mid prodcution DC-10s from the Martinair batch that received some retrofit mods.  To depict a Dutch KDC-10-30CF, at a minimum you will need to remove the forward fuselage-wing bulge. Check photos online. HTH, Dutch 

002.JPG.217879b17eb09c3819b15ab5ea2fa395.JPG

Edited by Dutch
additonal detail
  • 3 weeks later...