US Apaches Getting Spike

19 minutes ago, Sarathi S. said:

Right because Apaches totally needed more stuff strapped to them.

That being said, integration of Spike will be interesting.

I’m guessing the current Hellfires and their upcoming replacement may leave a bit to be desired in the range dept.   Isn't Spike already flying with Israeli Apaches?   If so, I would think it wouldn’t be that hard to integrate into US -64’s.  

Wonder if the Marines might have similar interest in this weapon?  

IDF started integrating the Spike during the last years of their AH-1 Cobra's service. If you see a picture with the Cobra's 20mm removed and a blue thing in it's place, it was modded for the Spike. After that then they started installing them on the AH-64's. I imagine the US Army is looking at it for the same reasons, more precise and less collateral damage. I'm interested to see it on ours for sure. 

9 hours ago, achterkirch said:

they are getting spike NLOS (not line of sight) Basically the can hide behind a hill or some other thing and shoot a target while being safely hidden. 

Wouldn't the data link between missile and Apache be vulnerable to jamming by a tech-savy adversary?    On the plus side the Spike has nearly twice the range of the Hellfire and JAGM.      Sounds like a good weapon for picking off air defense systems, coincidentally- the target used for the recent test shot was a mock-up of a Russian Pantsir mobile air defense system.  

Edited by 11bee
On 1/12/2020 at 8:34 AM, 11bee said:

Wouldn't the data link between missile and Apache be vulnerable to jamming by a tech-savy adversary?    On the plus side the Spike has nearly twice the range of the Hellfire and JAGM.      Sounds like a good weapon for picking off air defense systems, coincidentally- the target used for the recent test shot was a mock-up of a Russian Pantsir mobile air defense system.  

Here's an article that better explains the bi-directional RF and IDM data link IO between the operator and missile and yes, the IDF are active with this system on their AH-64 

https://theaviationist.com/2017/07/26/photos-of-ah-64d-apache-armed-with-spike-missiles-proves-that-the-weapon-is-operational-for-the-israeli-attack-helicopters/

IAF-AH-64-Spike-NLOS-top.jpg?ssl=1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

Looks like DIRCM or equivalent.

That's what I thought but I don't see any turrets.  In another thread in this forum, there was a post about a newer version of DIRCM getting installed on AF HH-60's.   It was a much neater installation that did away with the big, bulky turrets.   I wonder if that system is now being installed on Apaches?

Here you go Tim!

Gotta go down to the bottom of the page.   The system is DAIRCM.  No turrets, the lasers are built into the sensor heads (as I understand it).   Pretty slick bit of kit (assuming it works as advertised).

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Raptor - that looks fantastic.   So is that what the US Army Apaches will look like?

Why is one of the missiles not in it's square housing?   Is it a different type?

John

This is the system used on the Israeli Apache Saraf and is the same system used as the US Army Apache test. This launcher can carry 4 spike missiles of three different types (Spike NLOS Non Line Of Sight, Spike-ER  Extended Range and Spike-LR  Long Range) I made the Spike NLOS launcher for the 1/48 and 1/72 Apache and ER plus the antenna (will be printed in 3d). At the moment I understand that the US Army is testing only the long-range NLOS Spike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPvchdf3s0w

-Simon

Edited by Raptor71
On 3/14/2020 at 5:14 PM, Raptor71 said:

My Spike system for Apache. If all goes well ... I'll install it on my Apache HAS in 1/48 next week. I hope you like it. The missile in green is a Spike ER, I was able to use the launch tube and sensor of my AW-129D Mangusta project , the guide instead is different.

IMG_5543-2 IMG_5542-2 IMG_5540-2 IMG_5541-2 IMG_5548-2

Edited by Raptor71
  • 3 weeks later...

@Raptor71

How's the Spike's coming along? 

Something that I caught while doing some research earlier is that the Army has stopped everything regarding the APKWS. Probably makes sense of why they are pursuing the Spike now.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/02/army-kills-apkws-rockets-mystery-missile-mirm/

Edited by Whiskey
2 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

Not really, APKWS and Spike are two completely different range brackets.  

Sorry I will clarify. I mean it makes sense as far as budgeting goes because they have more funds to pursue it now.