Hello everyone!

My name is John Matthews.  I guess I've been modeling since I was around eight, with my first kit being Revell's 1/72 "Air Commando" F-105D.  After a long hiatus I'm now back into the hobby with my 14 year old son.  While we build models of the plastic variety, I also create them in digital form for original artwork.  Such as this F-105D:

Memphis Belle Ii (60-504)

Republic Aviation F-105D Thunderchief, S/N 60-504

I generally work on whatever I'm interested in at the moment, but I've taken commissioned work as well, such as the following...

Badger ASW Patrol

A Tu-116 Badger created for a novelist who was interested in illustrations for his work.

Reverse Camouflage Republic F-105D

A reverse camouflage Republic F-105D for an aviation artwork collector.

I've started a thread in "Aviation Art" where I wanted to share some of my works-in-progress and finished work.  If you want to take a look, it's right here.

Cheers!

-John

So, here's what I'm working on now...

ebde33_36d4b690a6ef425fae1154fd493c5eb8~

Well, actually I'm finished with it.  It's rendering now.  Should "only" take another 16 days to finish rendering, then I'll be uploading it to my website's F-101 gallery.

In the mean time, I'm working on this...

ebde33_bfcabf3518df49c984aee8eb64ddac30~

I have a friend who was a crew chief on the Stratosaurus, and I promised I'd start some B-52 focused artwork.  I haven't spent too much time on this 3D model.  Just put the beak on her this evening and roughed-in the area of the flight deck.  Possibly engine pods tomorrow.  Either that, or the tail guns.

ebde33_d18c35088a884b7facf30d517aed4ca3~

Thanks again for the warm reception, guys!  More posts to follow!

Have a great weekend!

~John

1 hour ago, SBARC said:

I love what you are doing.

Thanks Steve!  I've bee playing with 3D artwork since around 2002.  It's only been within the past five years that I've really learned, practiced, and developed my own 3D modeling techniques.  I've been fortunate to gain the attention of a couple aviation artwork collectors who have bought some of my commissioned work.  I've also been selling pieces to others through my website.  The best is when every once in a while someone will see something and tell me it brought back a fond memory of their military service.  So, I'm getting to live out one of my life's ambitions-making people happy through artwork, which is a great feeling.

Hello all!  I was able to sit down today long enough to create one generic engine pod on my B-52...

ebde33_9703a41e3f4d4c22833b50642a7da917~

That doesn't look like much, but it's a one piece extrusion from the wing of the plane from which (after several more extrusions and sculpting) we have an entire engine pod.  No detail work yet, just the basic shape. 

ebde33_83386f57dfdb436bb88c07f35d172602~

I'm very happy everything is turning out so clean, without a lot of botched-up mesh that will have to be edited later.  Some more work on this one tomorrow and then it'll be time to tackle the inboard pod.

Have a great evening!

~John