P-47D Bubble Top "Oh Johnnie" Color question.

Your welcome.

The 350th FG had some colorful P-47D's . I know you are working on a 1/48 scale kit but if you ever get interested in doing 1/72 Tamiya kit here is some other 350th FG P-47D's decals from DKDecals.

72073%20350thFG%20ZS.jpg

53 minutes ago, rpeck said:

Your welcome.

The 350th FG had some colorful P-47D's . I know you are working on a 1/48 scale kit but if you ever get interested in doing 1/72 Tamiya kit here is some other 350th FG P-47D's decals from DKDecals.

72073%20350thFG%20ZS.jpg

You're not kidding, those are really nice.  I'm especially drawn to that Hurricane in US markings with the sharks mouth!  Thats sweet!  I might have to plan some more projects...Sigh...better check the bank account.

Brett

1 hour ago, Hammerhead11 said:

You're not kidding, those are really nice.  I'm especially drawn to that Hurricane in US markings with the sharks mouth!  Thats sweet!  I might have to plan some more projects...Sigh...better check the bank account.

Brett

Even more so as it is a field

modified twin seat hurricane. Don’t see too many of those!

Sean

The 350th FG had a couple 2-seat Hurricane's for hacks.

I just finished a 1/72 Revel Hurricane in those markings seen in the decal sheet for a friend. I used two vac canopies as seen in the drawings.

The decal maker did a very good job I think on the drawings.

Rick

18 hours ago, rpeck said:

The 350th FG had a couple 2-seat Hurricane's for hacks.

I just finished a 1/72 Revel Hurricane in those markings seen in the decal sheet for a friend. I used two vac canopies as seen in the drawings.

The decal maker did a very good job I think on the drawings.

Rick

Very nice, that’s really unique.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Hammerhead11 said:

The story of the pilot is just as interesting.  One of the last recipients of the Medal of Honor in the US Army Air Force in WWII.  Unfortunately he earned it posthumously.  He had a knack for taking out ground targets and claimed multiple aircraft destroyed on the ground.  I want to try end replicate the picture.  I have some old monogram figures that I will try to modify to resemble Lieutenant Knight and his crew chief.

Brett

Brett,

I just purchased an old editon of the American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS) Journal, Vol 30, No3, Fall 1985 with a two page article on 1stLt Raymond Knight and the events leading up to the last flight, which I just happened to read this past weekend.  Then I stumbled on this thread.  The Journal includes a color artist renditon on the back cover depicting the last moments of 1stLt Knight before loosing control and crashing.  It shows both port & stbd wing as OD green, though I doubt it is accurate.  I would go with your original photo.  The article states that in the days leading up to his last mission, he had attcked numerous ground targets and his plane recevied flak damage on each flight.  So a replacement wing from another more severely shot up aircraft is entirely plausible and probable.  The fact that Lt Knight opted to fly back to base to try and save his aircraft due to the lack of available aircraft shows the state of combat repairs under field conditions.  I will see if I can scan the article for you.  The article gives details of the markings, but states that the aricraft was overall OD/gray, making no mention of a possible replacement stbd wing, though it does mention that the canopy framing was sliver.  It also includes a photo of Lt Kngiht next to his flak damaged aircraft (stbd fuselage), though no serial number is visible.  Another photos shows details fo the squadron badge on the port fuselage.  Lastly, a port side view of P-47D-27RE s/n 42-26785, though much smaller and less distinct than the photo at the top of the page above. 

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

The 346th FS late winter /early spring was a busy time with losses and damaged P-47D's. Here is a video of one after returning home with damaged wings.

There is 5 more videos on you tube just do a search. There is no number 3 .

Rick

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Brett,

I just purchased an old editon of the American Aviation Historical Society (AAHS) Journal, Vol 30, No3, Fall 1985 with a two page article on 1stLt Raymond Knight and the events leading up to the last flight, which I just happened to read this past weekend.  Then I stumbled on this thread.  The Journal includes a color artist renditon on the back cover showing his last moments of 1stLt Knight's last flight before loosing control and crashing.  It shows both port & stbd wing as OD green, though I doubt it is accurate.  I would go with your original photo.  The article states that in the days leading up to his last mission, he had attcked numerous ground targets and his plane recevied flak damage on each flight.  So a replacement wing from another more severely shot up aircraft is entirely plausible and probable.  The fact that Lt Knight opted to fly back to base to try and save his aircraft due to the lack of available aircraft shows the state of combat repairs under field conditions.  I will see if I can scan the article for you.  The article gives details of the markings, but states that the aricraft was overall OD/gray, making no mention of a possible replacement stbd wing, though it does mention that the canopy framing was sliver.  It also includes a photo of Lt Kngiht next to his flak damaged aircraft (stbd fuselage), though no serial number is visible.  Another photos shows details fo the squadron badge on the port fuselage.  Lastly, a port side view of P-47D-27RE s/n 42-26785, though much smaller and less distinct than the photo at the top of the page above. 

HTH,

Dutch

Dutch, If you could get a scan of that article that would be amazing!  Yeah, it's really unfortunate that he was so close to base when he crashed, within 25 miles if I recall.  He almost made it.  I suppose this all speaks well to the ruggedness of the P-47.  If he was taking multiple hits from flak and ground fire each mission and taking the same plane back out the next day, it was well built.  

-Brett

• 4 weeks later...