1/72 P-3 decal request

New member here Kursad. I see your website shows a decal sheet coming soon for 1/72 scale P-3. Can I put in a request for a rendering of Patron 48? The VP-48 Boomerangers was the squadron I was in back in the early 1980s and I’d like to build a replica of an Orion in their colors. 

CCE0F1AE-2038-4FE7-B7FB-2333190A7718.jpeg

Edited by Skyraider0609
Added image

@Skyraider0609, P-3C 158223 was delivered new from the factory on 17 Dec 1971 to VP-48 as SF-3 and remained with the unit until transfer to VP-40 on 08 May 1984.  I assume that these were the bicentennial markings circa 1976-77.

I joined VP-48 in early 1980 and was discharged from active duty in late 1982. The Orion markings looked like that when I was with the squadron and were essentially unchanged from the time when they flew the P5M, so I’m thinking not related to the bicentennial. 

Thanks Dutch for the info about SF3 btw. I spent many hours at the radar station on that airplane. 

Thanks for posting that image Dutch.

I can date that pic to the 1980-82 timeframe or before, because the airplane still has the nose camera installed underneath the radome. During my time with VP-48 that camera was removed and replaced with an infrared detection system in it’s place. 
Instead of the remote camera taking pictures of surface ships, the crew ordnanceman used a hand held camera through an optically flat porthole in the center of the emergency hatch behind the left cockpit side window. 

The infrared system was a neat gadget to use both day and night. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another to toss in the idea pile...check out these cool cats! I've never seen these markings before. VP-91 with the Pink Panther:

96850618-2949552868471314-14250016011347

96832104-2949552848471316-50765647143816

Edited by 82Whitey51

The Pink Panther and Roadrunner art will require licenses from United Artists (Pink Panther) and Warner Brothers (Roadrunner). We looked into doing the Project Magnet and Project Seascan birds a couple years ago, and the licensing costs from Warner Bros were prohibitive, to say the least. What they quoted me for a license was almost triple the estimated print cost for the sheet.

Thanks for the Arctic Fox version Kursad. That's great! Guess who's going to have to buy another Orion kit now....😀

It never occurred to me to think about the licensing issues with the cartoon characters on a decal sheet. Oh well, the sheet will be excellent regardless and I'm looking forward to ordering it. Thanks again Kursad for being receptive to suggestions.