1/72 P-3 decal request

Roadrunner, El Coyote and the Arctic Fox were all covered by a baby-seal-killing competitor on one single sheet. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt though if all of them were freshly done. No idea about royalties however, and how that other company handled this matter.

52 minutes ago, TomTheCat said:

Roadrunner, El Coyote and the Arctic Fox were all covered by a baby-seal-killing competitor on one single sheet. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt though if all of them were freshly done. No idea about royalties however, and how that other company handled this matter.

Those sheets were done more than a couple dozen generations of baby seals ago - so long ago that I highly doubt that the seal species had even completed its evolution at the time.

There is no doubt that we can do much better with the references and technology available today; and I think you will like the modern rendition of Arctic Fox on the new sheet. And if that does not pique your interest, there will be 11 other options to choose from; ranging from several colorful ones from the 1980s to the most recent markings of units like VP-30 and VP-46. 

Edited by KursadA
17 hours ago, arg said:

Kursad -

Any chance these markings eventually make it to 1/144?  The LS/ARII kit decals are in desperate need of replacement...

I second arg's request for 1/144 P-3 decals.  I have ~50 ARII/LS Orion kits, many begging for new markings. See my other thread request here

K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

50 ?!?!?!?!?!

I thought I was lucky to have one !

I also have one 1/72 P-3 kit, the Revell boxing I picked up at a Squadron open house a few years ago for $10 🙂

Do you have any interest in doing other sheets, maybe a special ops Orion sheet or/and foreign operators? 

I ask as I'm interested in doing 9175, being an EP-3 from the JMSDF. There are really no aftermarket Japanese decals, even stencilling in 1/72 and as I have the USN VP-47 edition. 

On the other hand regarding foreign operators, the most fancy would be the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy with their Orions. The Dutch and Argentine follow close if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Do you have any interest in doing other sheets, maybe a special ops Orion sheet or/and foreign operators? 

I ask as I'm interested in doing 9175, being an EP-3 from the JMSDF. There are really no aftermarket Japanese decals, even stencilling in 1/72 and as I have the USN VP-47 edition. 

On the other hand regarding foreign operators, the most fancy would be the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy with their Orions. The Dutch and Argentine follow close if you ask me. 

This has been my argument to kit manufacturers forever in regards to producing a 1/48 scale (...or even a NEW TOOL!) P-3 Orion. There are so many different operators, so many marking options, and so many different versions over the last nearly 60 YEARS of operations. A World Wide seller!

Someday 😩...

4 hours ago, Fiddler said:

An international sheet is a possibility, but it will have to be a limited (250pcs) run printed by Microscale while the US Navy sheet will be by Cartograf. It's too bad, because many foreign Orions are adorned with excellent unit insignia and intricate markings that would have really looked great with Cartograf's level of printing.

As much as I like doing international sheets; let's face the truth: Only European customers buy these sheets - my main audience in the US is primarily only interested in American subjects. I am really grateful to folks from Europe who make my international subjects possible and will keep releasing sheets catering to their interests; but the market  demand really limits what I can design and release.

Understandable @KursadA, 

Is there a limitation to microscale decals compared to Cartograf's then?

Then maybe a special version with a couple EP-3Es and a Japanese EP-3C would do the sale trick? 

I don't know how the US citizen thinks about Iran, but regardless of politics, their camo paterns on Orions and (no pun intended) their CH-53Ds are pure art to me 😉

On 5/18/2020 at 12:16 PM, KursadA said:

An international sheet is a possibility, but it will have to be a limited (250pcs) run printed by Microscale while the US Navy sheet will be by Cartograf. It's too bad, because many foreign Orions are adorned with excellent unit insignia and intricate markings that would have really looked great with Cartograf's level of printing.

As much as I like doing international sheets; let's face the truth: Only European customers buy these sheets - my main audience in the US is primarily only interested in American subjects. I am really grateful to folks from Europe who make my international subjects possible and will keep releasing sheets catering to their interests; but the market  demand really limits what I can design and release.

@KursadA,

I beg to differ with you here with respect to the P-3 Orion.  I do not have your US sales statistics on your other international sheets, but I believe that there is enough interest for a limited amount of international markings for the Orion.  On my thread in the Prop Forum, I have chronicled the currently available 1/144 [though I suspect the same holds true for 1/72], P-3 markings options and the "markings gap," many of which are international.  Some international options like Austrlaia, Canada*, Japan** and the Netherlands are well covered by kit manufacturers or after market decal makers in 1/72 scale.  What is amazing is the vast dearth of US markings for the ubiquitous Hasegawa 1/72 Orion kit and the LS/ARII 1/144 Orion kit.

Here is what is lacking in 1/144 (Many also in 1/72): Brazil, Chile, Germany, Iran***, Netherlands***, Norway***, Pakistan, Portugal (early), Spain***, NOAA, NASA***, US Customs, and most of the 30 or so US Navy*** squadrons and test directorates.

* Unfortunately all three Canadian decal makers (CanMilAir, Canuck Models, & J-Bot) are all out of business as of late 2019.

** Hasegawa seems to have issued just about every P-3C Orion scheme used by the JMSDF and a few USN with each new re-issue of their Orion kit.  

***  Yes, I know that Microscale/Superscale covered these schemes in 1/72. 

If you slip one or two international markings in with several US markings, I think that you would sell alot more sheets.  My preference is 1/144, of course.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Another reality is that P-3 kit availability is limited.  The only kits I know of are the 1/72 Hasegawa and the 1/144 LS kits (and reboxes), neither are readily available.  I think the release of a new kit would definitely benefit sales of aftermarket decal sheets.

Not sure that the Hasegawa P-3 kit has limited availability. It is repopped every year or so with either generic USN VP-40 Marlins and CP-140 schemes or a JASDF option.

Just google Hasegawa P-3C and you will get plenty of seller hits.

8 hours ago, Dutch said:

@KursadA,

I beg to differ with you here with respect to the P-3 Orion.  I do not have your US sales statistics on your other international sheets, but I believe that there is enough interest for a limited amount of international markings for the Orion.  On my thread in the Prop Forum, I have chronicled the currently available 1/144 [though I suspect the same holds true for 1/72], P-3 markings options and the "markings gap," many of which are international.  Some international options like Austrlaia, Canada*, Japan** and the Netherlands are well covered by kit manufacturers or after market decal makers in 1/72 scale.  What is amazing is the vast dearth of US markings for the ubiquitous Hasegawa 1/72 Orion kit and the LS/ARII 1/144 Orion kit.

Here is what is lacking in 1/144 (Many also in 1/72): Brazil, Chile, Germany, Iran***, Netherlands***, Norway***, Pakistan, Portugal (early), Spain***, NOAA, NASA***, US Customs, and most of the 30 or so US Navy*** squadrons and test directorates.

* Unfortunately all three Canadian decal makers (CanMilAir, Canuck Models, & J-Bot) are all out of business as of late 2019.

** Hasegawa seems to have issued just about every P-3C Orion scheme used by the JMSDF and a few USN with each new re-issue of their Orion kit.  

***  Yes, I know that Microscale/Superscale covered these schemes. 

If you slip one or two international markings in with several US markings, I think that you would sell alot more sheets.  My preference is 1/144, of course.

K/r,

Dutch

The only 1/72 decal sheet that is worthwhile at all (from  a P-3 Flight Engineer's perspective anyway...🙃) are the sheets in the re-popped Revell boxing and the more recent Hasegawa kit sheets; proper stenciling, and data markings, correct size national insignia. All those old Microscale and SuperScale sheets from 80s are way oversized (RESCUE arrows, U.S. insignia). The Canuck sheets were/are pretty nice too, glad I got them while they were available.

There are few to no decal sheets out there at all covering the P-3s last 10 or so years in USN service, WolfPak covered VP-46 and VP-10...none have ever been done for VP-26, VP-8 had some cool tail markings over their last few years of service.

Too true Andy.  I only have two 1/72 Orions, one Minicraft release with the CAF hi-viz scheme and one Revel issue with Cartograf decals and they are waaaaaay better than any Hasegawa release.  At least Minicraft had Scalemaster decals, but again, many errors in font and marking sizes on that sheet.  So, the world is wide open for Kursad for whatever markings he wishes to produce.  

Edited by Dutch
52 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Too true Andy.  I only have two 1/72 Orions, one Minicraft release withe the CAF hi-viz scheme and one Revel issue with Cartograf decals and they are waaaaaay better than any Hasegawa release.  At least Minicraft had Scalemaster decals, but again, many errors in font and marking sizes on that sheet.  So, the world is wide open for Kursad for whatever markigns he wishes to produce.  

I made my own for VP-26 markings, pretty simple to find the logo and print out on white decal paper...sourcing, and then placing the  the 17 individual  stars for the tail tip though is a bit of a PItA. When I was in the squadron, guys would ask me all the time to build them one but when I told them what I'd charge them for it they'd balk. I built "777" (foreground) for a good friend of mine because his wife wanted to give him one for a retirement gift and I didn't charge quite as much:

p3s.png

Ahhh...but someday!

revell1-48catalina-1-zpsdm6txh89.jpg

On 5/19/2020 at 5:39 AM, Trojan Thunder said:

Not sure that the Hasegawa P-3 kit has limited availability. It is repopped every year or so with either generic USN VP-40 Marlins and CP-140 schemes or a JASDF option.

Just google Hasegawa P-3C and you will get plenty of seller hits.

I agree. The US & Japanese versions pop up quite frequently at reasonable prices:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10197844

And Kursad?  Might this Pakistani one be of some interest?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6410057

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6352685