Riveting the Academy CH/MH-53E?

I got ahold of an Academy MH-53E and would like to try my hand at riveting. My google-fu yielded old threads but with the expected Photobucket issues. Is there a good source for a how-to out there that still has good pics available?

On 1/16/2020 at 2:39 AM, Loach Driver said:

Do you plan to use those rivet decals or use a riveting tool that creates indentations in the plastic to represent rivets?

LD.

Not sure... which would yield a better result?

I have built 5 of the Academy CH-53Es with another two in the planning stage. I riveted all of them with the Rivet-R riveting tool. it creates intents that you can feel on the surface of the model when done. It is tedious and I end up using a lot of Dymotape to keep things straight, but I like the look. 

I have thought about trying the decal route, it would be more forgiving, but could be expensive, some of those decal sheets are not cheap. 

mason

On 1/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, doupnik said:

I have built 5 of the Academy CH-53Es with another two in the planning stage. I riveted all of them with the Rivet-R riveting tool. it creates intents that you can feel on the surface of the model when done. It is tedious and I end up using a lot of Dymotape to keep things straight, but I like the look. 

I have thought about trying the decal route, it would be more forgiving, but could be expensive, some of those decal sheets are not cheap. 

mason

@doupnik, what do you use for references to outline your rivet pattern?

On 1/19/2020 at 8:02 AM, picknpluck said:

@doupnik, what do you use for references to outline your rivet pattern?

I have a ton of pics, but the model actually has barely visible lines for where most of them go. It looks like they had planned to do recessed lines where rivets would be and then they filled them in. If you look really closely you can see the lines.

mason

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2020‎/‎01‎/‎22 at 5:03 PM, doupnik said:

I have a ton of pics, but the model actually has barely visible lines for where most of them go. It looks like they had planned to do recessed lines where rivets would be and then they filled them in. If you look really closely you can see the lines.

mason

Hey Mason, following up on this conversation...I'm looking at riveting tools now (Rosie the Riveter) and the 1/48 scale wheels come in three sizes: .50, .55, and .60. Which size would you recommend?

3 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Hey Mason, following up on this conversation...I'm looking at riveting tools now (Rosie the Riveter) and the 1/48 scale wheels come in three sizes: .50, .55, and .60. Which size would you recommend?

I suppose it would be entirely subjective and what ‘looks right’.

Real-time rivet spacing is usually around 1 inch depending on diameter of the rivet used so in actuality replicating that would be impossible.

I’d prolly roll with the .50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, see what I did there?

On 2/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, picknpluck said:

I am pretty sure I use the .55.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, Hooker169 said:

I suppose it would be entirely subjective and what ‘looks right’.

Real-time rivet spacing is usually around 1 inch depending on diameter of the rivet used so in actuality replicating that would be impossible.

I’d prolly roll with the .50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, see what I did there?

When I have done it, the spacing changes when I go back over the row, I usually make two or three passes, so the spacing is probably smaller than .55. I am not worried about getting it perfect, just capturing the feel of the rivets. 

Roll with the 50. lol

mason