Hello, I begin a 2020's first build with the Tamiya's excellent F-16  with some aftermarket things. Ok I know the F-16 isn't a very exiting topic because I know everyone of you already build one or more because this aircraft has a pure amazing design, but this time I wanna build one with opening panels for the maintenance and I found the Black Dog's F-16 complete set, the decoraion will be the 144th FW in Fresno so let build it 🙂

Edited by salomon

there's a little work to fit the plastic but nothing so serious, but the annoying thing is; there's no any paper instruction into the kit box, I use to understand by my self how to build and where to cut, already send an e mail to black dog but no any respond from the compagny.

Some parts are also breaking but I can repair those.

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by salomon

I also close the air intake and replace the front engine part with the one from Eduard.

IMG-20200110-163712.jpg
IMG-20200110-163643.jpg

This is the camo scene color of this build, the aircraft looks truely clean and the painting is blend new.

87-0301-002.jpg
2886517216-e3e6ce54be-k.jpg

Edited by salomon

Huh, I've never actually built a Tamiya F-16. Got around to glueing vertical stab and fuel tanks before withdrawing from anything 1/48, but I'm pretty sure that's not the standard construction sequence.

I'd be quite scared of trying something like this tbh. Your build looks awesome though - nice, clean joints and everything. Looks awesome!

On 1/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, salomon said:

<...> Ok I know the F-16 isn't a very exiting topic <...>

Ain't no such thing as a boring F-16!

Your highly detailed build looks exciting already at this bare plastic/bare resin stage. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with you, the desire to build another f-16 started with the acquisition of the Black Dog full kit. Yesterday I made those easier parts, no any surgery, just made some minor fitting, the resine part fit perfecty by removing some plastic of the plastic tail.

DSC-0804.jpg
DSC-0803.jpg
DSC-0802.jpg
DSC-0801.jpg

On 1/15/2020 at 2:51 AM, weirich1 said:

Looks great so far, keep us updated!

You can never build enough Vipers! Take this from a guy who sees them everyday at work.

If you could share with us the images that you could publish on the internet, (yes I know there are things that we could not show on a combat aircraft in service.) You are the only one among us to certify on the authenticity of the black Dog kit. Your help will be precious.

Painting the base colors as the FS 36118, I use Gunze's H305, the tail is black but I think it isn't truely black and I use the H77 Tire black.

DSC-0804.jpg
DSC-0803.jpg
DSC-0802.jpg
DSC-0801.jpg

Thank you Falconxlvi, I'd try to do my best and the Black Dog's detail looks fine, maybe I use to add some wires  in the ending build, I forgot to mention the removed panels are not present in the BG kit, but I can handle that later.

Edited by salomon

Today is a sanding day :), the lower part requires a lot of dry fitting, the BG resine has amost 1mm gap and I used plastique card to fill the missing mm. I use Edouard's AN/APG-68 radar also the mastermodel pilot tube add to the Edouard's resine nose, everything fit perfectly.

DSC-0805.jpg
DSC-0806.jpg
DSC-0807.jpg
DSC-0808.jpg
DSC-0809.jpg

It's worth to get this set and it will change the static look of the F-16 in my point of view.

The trouble begins, I have to make a decision to fill the missing space with the plastic card or change the curve of the location of the air intake. Ok let take a break of this build.

DSC-0809.jpg
DSC-0805.jpg
DSC-0806.jpg
DSC-0807.jpg
DSC-0808.jpg

The simplest solution would be to fill the missing space, in reality the plane will be 48/50 mm more and the alignment will distort by 0.5 ° / 1 °, I think that nobody will see that once the model is finished. We all try to be as close as possible to the real plane, but a model would always remain a model and I am happy to assemble the beautiful models of the market, the next will be an F-14 from AMK

Edited by salomon