Sharkmouth Typhoon mouth color?

Has it ever been determined what color was used inside the mouth of the sharkmouthed Hawker Typhoon?  I don't know of any color photos that exist and, when doing an internet search, all I can find are either red or airframe camo color inside the mouth.  What's the general consensus?  I know that artist profiles are not to be trusted.  It's interesting to note how even the airframe camo colors are different in the attached image.  I guess that then makes me wonder what the correct camo colors should be on MR*U.  Oh man!  Now I just noticed that even the spinners are different colors!!!  

Thanks!

Eric

typhoons.jpg

Aviaeology decals has some pretty extensive discussion on this aircraft on their instruction sheet.  Six pages worth.  Reference is made to an article Model Aircraft Monthly, July, 2009 covering the shark mouth colors.  The conclusion is non-conclusive.  Could be red, could be the camo color.  The decal sheet gives decals for both versions, leaving it up to the modeler to decide.  Personally, I would put in the red just cause it looks good and no one can prove right or wrong.  As to the camo colors, they are the standard RAF day fighter scheme with yellow wing id markings.  Note that the blue spinner and checked fuselage band are post war markings.  2nd TAF schemes for this time period would have the sky tail band painted over and a black spinner.  HTH, Dave.

Dave, that helps A LOT!  With the exception of the Typhoon, pretty much all other British planes bore me to tears.  The Typhoon has always looked like a bad-*** fighter to me.  Slap a sharkmouth on it and the coolness factor goes up exponentially for me!  LOL!  I know next to nothing about British planes and even less about their wartime and post-war markings.  So I thank you for educating me on that.  I do enjoy learning new things.

You're so right about "no one can prove right or wrong" line of thinking.  With that being the case, I'm STILL having a hard time deciding which one I like the most:  The one with the red inside or the one without.  Red is my favorite color so maybe I'll go that route.  At the same time, my kids would like it if I put the checkerboard pattern around the tail.

Eric

On 1/15/2020 at 8:01 AM, echolmberg said:

Dave, that helps A LOT!  With the exception of the Typhoon, pretty much all other British planes bore me to tears.  The Typhoon has always looked like a bad-*** fighter to me.  Slap a sharkmouth on it and the coolness factor goes up exponentially for me!  LOL!  I know next to nothing about British planes and even less about their wartime and post-war markings.  So I thank you for educating me on that.  I do enjoy learning new things.

You're so right about "no one can prove right or wrong" line of thinking.  With that being the case, I'm STILL having a hard time deciding which one I like the most:  The one with the red inside or the one without.  Red is my favorite color so maybe I'll go that route.  At the same time, my kids would like it if I put the checkerboard pattern around the tail.

Eric

Well at the end pf the build it is still your model. So unless you need a "dead on accurate" model of a Typhoon for some historically accurate display, at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Then let your personal preferences (or the kids)  be your guide