Ilyushin Il-102 - the last Sturmovik (update 20/04/2020)

New year, new project.

A&A released a 1:72 model of this very unique looking aircraft last year. Having its roots basically in WW2 era Il-2 Sturmovik attack aircraft, it is so much more bizzare, that this aircraft of archaic looking design was still marketed in early 1990s. Only one flying prototype was made, which made around 250 flights in period between 1982 and 1984 when engines livese expired. The aircraft can now be seen as one of the gate guards at Gromov Research Center at Zhukovski, Russia.

The aircraft being of quite a modular design, I've decided to skip the usual assembly flow of starting with the cockpit and tackled the engine nacelles first. The engines are designed to include the full length intakes and exhausts.

il102wip-1-XL.jpg

While the turbine blades look convincing enough, I was less impressed by the intake itself. Composed of two halves, the plastic was too wide to fit around the curvature of the turbine. I ended up shaving away around 1mm of plastic on each mating surface to achieve a fit. However this worsens the seam itself which will have to be carefully puttied and sanded from the inside. A job I am not really looking forward.

il102wip-2-XL.jpg

While turbine blades are normally of a darker metallic colour, I normally paint them in a much brighter aluminum and put on a black wash to accenuate the shadows. The reason is, that these parts are sitting deep in the intakes where little light reaches them and are thus more visible.

il102wip-3-XL.jpg

The whole engine assembly dryfitted to the interior of the engine nacelle half. While the intake parts itself had a more serious fitting issue, the middle connecting tube and the exhaust itself were much better fit. Especially the latter with a single piece outside part helps to hide any seams on the inside.

Edited by Sebastijan

Does "if it looks right, it flies right" work in the opposite direction too? Definitely a unique subject.  Looks like you're off to a good start.

With all those angles, I wonder how it would look in digital camo that's fashionable east of Poland these days.

22 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

The aircraft can now be seen as one of the gate guards at Gromov Research Center at Zhukovski, Russia.

In a totally ficticious colour scheme..... when I photographed it in 2012.....

day1_001.JPG

....and in 2011.....

day1_003.JPG

I've made the Il-102's predecessor - the Il-40 - both versions kitted by Amodel  plus the Anigrand resin Il-102 ...

I have the A&A Models Il-102 in the stash, so I'll be following your build with interest Seb.... :thumbsup:

Ken

Here is the Anigrand Il-102, flanked by both versions of its progenitor - the Il-40 (both kitted by Amodel)........

il-40-102.jpg

Ilyushin stuck with the outmoded concept of a "Jet Stormovik" - building the Il-40 in the 1950's - and dusting off the plans in the 1980's with the Il-102

The requirement was finally fulfilled by the 'Private Venture' Sukhoi Su-25.....

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the interest! Ken, I've seen the Il-102 again in August when visiting MAKS - the grey is now quite weathered compared to your photos where it appears quite recently repainted.

Anyhow, time for a small update.

il102wip-4-XL.jpg

Il-102 main landing gear was stowed in such gondolas. Multipiece affair but it goes together rather well and fits perfectly into the wings. Also nicely detailed with combination of raised rivets, engraved lines and delicate interior frame work.

il102wip-6-XL.jpg

So, if you wish to pose open bomb bays, you have to cut the doors out of the lower wing half; Just carefully follow the engraved line with a scriber and you'll be fine.

il102wip-7-XL.jpg

The result of the cut bomb bay doors. Pretty neat result with the help of that engraved line on the inner side.

il102wip-5-XL.jpg

You have an option to either build the aircraft with closed or open bomb bays. If you choose the later, you have to install the bomb bay sidewalls onto the inner side of upper wing half. Again like MLG gondola, nice interior detail and perfect fit.

• 3 weeks later...

il102wip-8-XL.jpg

il102wip-9-XL.jpg

The cockpit and gunners position are reasonably detailed for the scale and the decals nicely printed to bring out all the little details.

il102wip-10-XL.jpg

The rear gun assembled and painted and waiting for installation into the rear turret.

il102wip-11-XL.jpg

And the infamous K-36 seat. Anyone that built recent Modelsvit kits have come across one of these. 23 parts for a seat in 1:72!

il102wip-12-XL.jpg

You may have asked 23? He must have made a mistake! No, here's a sprue photo next to a completed one. All those parts go into one seat! But it looks damn fine out of the box.

• 1 month later...

With some time off, being on home readiness every second week, but parenting still taking a considerable chunk of it, I managed to move forward with my Il-102 build.

il102wip-13-XL.jpg

K-36s painted up and ready for installation.

il102wip-14-XL.jpg

Il-102s heavy wings and tail design scream of a tailseater. Combination of lead fishing weights and Uschi van der Rosten Three Green in the nose will hopefully do the trick.

il102wip-15-XL.jpg

Instead of adding engine pods after the fuselage is closed, I'd rather install them before that, thus easily pressing them together against the fuselage surface and minimize the possible gaps.

il102wip-16-XL.jpg

The fuselage is together and cleaned, and I am now working on smoothing out the tail connection to the fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...

Model is now primed and almost ready for painting. Why almost? Because during the photo shoot, I noticed a small crack appeared in the nose, which I have to fix first!

il102wip-17-XL.jpg

il102wip-18-XL.jpg

The aircraft is a real behemoth. Compared to the MiG-21, it looks like it’s a bigger scale. I imagine its size wouldn’t be an advantage over the battlefield either.

il102wip-19-XL.jpg

Armament to be mounted on the aircraft.

il102wip-20-XL.jpg

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

That's really nice Seb... :worship:

Those colours look absolutely spot on - are they as recommended in the kit - or did you mix your own ??

Stay safe

Ken

Thanks Ken!

Glad you like my work so far. I've spent quite some time trying to figure out the colours. The instructions suggest Humbrol codes but I don't use enamels anymore. As I am painting exclusively with Mr.Paint lacquers now, I was searching their catalog. Blue shouldn't be a problem as I have a bunch for different Flanker variants - in the end, AMT-7 WW2 underside blue seemed a good match. Black was no brainer, dark Green I've decided on SEA Dark Green. Sand, I was searching in their catalog and found a good match - will write it down when I finish the kit in the article. Mid green I used Swedish AF one for the Viggen camo.