Italian/Saudi Tornados

Thanks for that.  I see on the Italian tornado that the tail fin lacks the two small horizontal fins that appear on the RAF tornado.  So the reason I ask is should I buy the Revell ECR version or the Revell GR1 version.  Because externally the Italian Tornado looks like the ECR version

The Saudi Tornados are to the same standard as the RAF GR.4 currently, they didn't have a dedicated ECR version . The Italian Air Force do use the ECR . If you want to build an ECR then get the ECR version , if you want to make a Saudi Tornado then purchase the GR1 although do bear in mind that they were upgraded over the years parallel with the RAF so it would depend on the timeframe .

Thanks Stephen.  Most appreciated.  While on the subject, have you used or has anyone used the flightpath slats and flaps set?  Its made of brass and its recommended to solder it together but my soldering skills are non existant.  Has anyone used them and super glued them together?  To my knowledge these flaps and slats are the only ones on the market as paragon did make them but are now long OOP

Edited by Modelkeenfan

I used Mk83 bombs from the Hasegawa US weapons set for my Italian Tornado build.

What time frame are you building?   Aside from different antennas, the Italian Tornado has different fuselage pylons.

here's my Saudi build https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/builds/ben_tornadoids_760.html

and Italian https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/builds/ben_tornadoids_mm7038.html

Edited by Benner

Italian Tornadoes in Desert Storm normally carried 5 Mk.83 slicks as they were not (and still aren't) equipped for laser self spotting.

Their normal load was 5 M.83s on the STANDARD belly pylons, two tanks (but not the Hindenburg ones), two AIM-9L on the shoulder stations and two BOZ-107 chaff/flare dispensers.

The Brits used Paveway kits adapted to heir own bombs.

Beware that the ECR was a dedicated SEAD upgrade that was developed with the Germans much later than the Gulf War I.

For what you are asking, the best boxes are the Revell ECR and for the Saudi use Revell's GR.1 as they are much better than Hasegawa's.

By the way, anyone who's got spare ALARMS feel free to offer.

The dropped flaps wings are from Airwaves, they are one piece resin.

23 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Thanks Stephen.  Most appreciated.  While on the subject, have you used or has anyone used the flightpath slats and flaps set?  Its made of brass and its recommended to solder it together but my soldering skills are non existant.  Has anyone used them and super glued them together?  To my knowledge these flaps and slats are the only ones on the market as paragon did make them but are now long OOP

You haven't said what scale you're building, in 1/48 the latest Revell kits have dropped flaps/slats out of the box.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, Modelkeenfan said:

Did the Italians use British mk 83 or the US Mk 83?  I'm building a gulf war 1/32 scale Italian tornado.  I have 3sets of CAM ALARM missiles _ 9 in total.  If you want them, you can make me an offer.

Cheers

What scale.

Thanks guys for the input.  I'm doing 1.32 scale so will use the Revell kit.  As I said I want to do a gulf war Italian tornado.  So which kit has the correct pylons?  If any?  From what I read, the Italian tornado crews were very gutsy yet little is said about them

1 hour ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Thanks guys for the input.  I'm doing 1.32 scale so will use the Revell kit.  As I said I want to do a gulf war Italian tornado.  So which kit has the correct pylons?  If any?  From what I read, the Italian tornado crews were very gutsy yet little is said about them

I don't know about 1/32, in 1/72 the pylons of Revell kit are those for Luftwaffe variants with extra bits to disguise them as RAF pylons

https://www.tornadosig.com/variants.html

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

Thanks for the info.  I think I can alter the pylons easy enough if I have too.  Also thanks for the link showing the differences in the variants.

Another problem is does anyone do 1/32 Mk 83 slicks?  I see wolfpack did a set but are US navy ones so will have the anti-cook off coating on them.  I need US air force ones.  Any clues?

15 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Thanks for the info.  I think I can alter the pylons easy enough if I have too.  Also thanks for the link showing the differences in the variants.

Another problem is does anyone do 1/32 Mk 83 slicks?  I see wolfpack did a set but are US navy ones so will have the anti-cook off coating on them.  I need US air force ones.  Any clues?

You welcome 😄

http://www.videoaviation.com/accessories/132-mk83-bombs-slick-body/

if you are planning to build something related to Desert Storm be aware that AMI Tornado also used standard body Mk83 with (possibly) a different tail and a different fuse.Check dstorm.eu for pictures and loadout charts, fuse and tail references were possibly posted here in the jet section forums, if pictures are dead due photobucket apocalypse I'll try to scavenge some from my unfriendly to searches hard drive 

Greetings

Luigi