Fading WWII pacific theater planes?

Ok, question... fading the paint... I want to give the paint scheme and decals an overall “faded” look. I read that you can lightly wet down a model, sprinkle it liberally with rock salt, then spray a “filter layer” lightly over that. Brush away the salt when it dries and it gives a faded look. Has anyone tried this? Is there a better way?

4AD251DA-7AA1-48CA-B2F3-8AC413DCB4D9.jpeg

E6C97685-6B44-4837-A1C7-861119874954.jpeg

I think the technique you mention is for creating a chipped paint effect, not so much for faded paint.  For the chipped effect you would need a coat of paint, whether primer or nat metal underneath the salt layer to bring out the chips.  

Geoff M

You can use the salt technique for fading paint.  It gives you a more random "pattern" than just following the panel lines.  I tried it on my PV-1 build.  It's hard to see in the photos, but I like the affect.  It really shows up nicely on white.  

Check out Kkarlsen's PBY on LSP.  He uses the technique with stunning results.  

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/64724-pby-5a-catalina-cutaway/page/22/

I’d go easy on fading later War GSB painted aircraft.    That paint was pretty resistant to chipping and fading, plus most of the carrier based aircraft had very few hours on them, unlike the aircraft earlier in the war.    

Well I’ve gone and done it. I glued the wing hinges on the trumpeter model together so they’re not moveable. While this isn’t a deal killer, I was really looking to have it folded. Don’t ask how it happened. Any ideas? I’m lost. Does anyone sell 1:32 scale Corsair wing hinges?