Packaging for model kits

Just been watching a review video on youtube about an airfix kit and the reviewer complaining about the fact that Airfix only use one plastic bag to put all the parts in and protect it during shipping.

It made me think that in this modern age isnt it time we as plastic modellers started to insist the kit manufacturers to stop wasting plastics on things like packaging because there are so many other sustainable materials we could be using to protect the parts in shipping.

What do you guys think... Do you think we would step into the now and get the manufacturers to step the packaging game up?
Would you be willing to pay another £5-£10 because of the change of packaging?

Actually, it is time for plastic models to be eliminated totally, they serve no actual necessary purpose to society, they and their consumption of paper and of various toxic solvents are a frivolous waste of resources which by their very existence are toxic and damaging to the environment.

20 minutes ago, southwestforests said:

Actually, it is time for plastic models to be eliminated totally, they serve no actual necessary purpose to society, they and their consumption of paper and of various toxic solvents are a frivolous waste of resources which by their very existence are toxic and damaging to the environment.

Well that’s quite a refreshing viewpoint 

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Just been watching a review video on youtube about an airfix kit and the reviewer complaining about the fact that Airfix only use one plastic bag to put all the parts in and protect it during shipping.

It made me think that in this modern age isnt it time we as plastic modellers started to insist the kit manufacturers to stop wasting plastics on things like packaging because there are so many other sustainable materials we could be using to protect the parts in shipping.

What do you guys think... Do you think we would step into the now and get the manufacturers to step the packaging game up?
Would you be willing to pay another £5-£10 because of the change of packaging?

I would not be willing to pay extra. If I had my choice every sprue would get their own plastic bag and the box would be double thick cardboard🤷🏻‍♂️

22 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

I would not be willing to pay extra. If I had my choice every sprue would get their own plastic bag and the box would be double thick cardboard🤷🏻‍♂️

So you would be willing to pay extra to have plastic bags but not for something that protects them more?

4 hours ago, southwestforests said:

4 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

Well that’s quite a refreshing viewpoint 

I would guess southwestforests' comment was a sarcastic one that if you want to go to the extreme, many/most "hobby" activities are not necessary for human 'survival', and thus could be argued to be a waste of resources.  I for one would not go to that extreme.....the enjoyment of model building is worth the 'damage' 😀

Everything wrapped in one bag is essentially having everything wrapped in no bag, so what would really be the difference.  I’m for the most part,  completely happy with the condition of the kits I buy as they are.  I can see having a separate wrapping for the clear parts, but as long as the box is sealed good, and no loose part can sneak out, what would really be the difference?  I’m a tree hugger, but also a realist.   There is no way we can ever live without plastic in the modern age, but there are countless ways to cut down its usage and abusage.  I take reusable shopping bags with me everywhere, even mesh bags for vegetables.  We put our trash can on the curb once for every four times we put our recycle bin out.

3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So you would be willing to pay extra to have plastic bags but not for something that protects them more?

No, I'm not willing to pay anything extra. My expectation is that the clear parts will be in their own bag and if it is a premium kit with nice decals, then those too. 

I think models should be double packaged in plastic bags lined with baby seal skin. The box should be made of exotic inlaid woods and each side should be carved from a single tree trunk. The seal skin lined bags should be then be placed in the wooden boxes on a bed of California Condor feathers and the boxes should be painted in lacquer based paint and flown first class and then delivered to my local hobby shop by a chain smoker driving a diesel truck with a huge oil leak. But maybe I'm alone on that.:whistle:

I don’t want to spend extra $$$ on those environmentally unfriendly plastic bags because I’m saving for a paint booth with a big exhaust fan so I can blow all those annoying paint fumes out the window. 

😎

If you are in the US, one can find a recycling location that not only takes plastic bags but sprue as well here

I assume other locations around the globe do the same. 

At least one manufacturer (academy) asks modelers to inspect the parts BEFORE opening the bags, for them to honor any warranty, so a separate bag per sprue seems appropriate. 

For me, I feel just fine making the small effort taking my modeling plastic waste to the recycling center once a year or so.  

Niart17, too funny!

5 minutes ago, ytsejam87 said:

If you are in the US, one can find a recycling location that not only takes plastic bags but sprue as well here

I assume other locations around the globe do the same. 

At least one manufacturer (academy) asks modelers to inspect the parts BEFORE opening the bags, for them to honor any warranty, so a separate bag per sprue seems appropriate. 

For me, I feel just fine making the small effort taking my modeling plastic waste to the recycling center once a year or so.  

Niart17, too funny!

I prefer the system we have here in the UK. You just put them in the plastics bin you are given by the local council for home refuse.
Recycling isnt really my point, I would like to see a move aware from using plastics to package them.
Sprue wrapped in recycled and recyclable paper would protect them just as well and may well be cheaper.

I'm pretty sure paper bags that would be strong enough to bag plastic sprue and take the punishment of the packaging process would have to be plastic coated for strength and would not really be recyclable. True, the process could start with recycled paper but once it's been run through the coating process it's likely just as harmful to the environment and much more expensive then the clear thin plastic we currently have. I'm not saying there isn't a better solution, but I don't think paper is it. 

edit, and to add to this, the amount of raw plastic in the bags for a kit is likely less than a few of the parts of the kit itself. The packaging is not really the "problem".

Edited by niart17
3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I prefer the system we have here in the UK. You just put them in the plastics bin you are given by the local council for home refuse.
Recycling isnt really my point, I would like to see a move aware from using plastics to package them.
Sprue wrapped in recycled and recyclable paper would protect them just as well and may well be cheaper.

You are luckier than I.  Our town's refuse directs us to not recycle type 6.  so, for some items (in this example styrene), we are threatened with fines for "contaminating" the single stream recycling! 

This "contamination" is the reason we are told that Chinese recycling firms are rejecting the recycled materials.  So, for me, it's off to those folks who will actually recycle it.

So much for going green.  

On to the paper bags:  I would think that this would adversely affect the packaging QA by slowing it down tremendously, as the QA folks would have to open the paper bag to look inside to ensure what those contents are, Increasing the costs even more than the possible increase by using paper.

Guess we will have to wait for Scotty to give us that formula for 100% transparent aluminum paper.

Interesting topic. I for one don't really want to pay for more packaging. I already recycle my box and plastic wrap on the sprues if they comes wrapped.

All I care about is that they wrap the clear pieces and the decals. I have many boxes from manufacturers that never wrapped anything. Lots of scratched clear pieces. Scratches on the plastic itself is not an issue as I put a scouring pad to the kit before I paint anyway.

I was thinking about this thread when I was making a stop at Walmart and it reminded me, I remember when I was growing up and everything was bagged in paper. And then the push came through that everyone had to start using plastic bags because the use of paper bags was killing the forest. I remember how everyone hated having to use plastic because they were so much messier to store and ended up being more of a pain than anything. My how things have changed. Just a funny memory I had.

Edited by niart17
29 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I was thinking about this thread when I was making a stop at Walmart and it reminded me, I remember when I was growing up and everything was bagged in paper. And then the push came through that everyone had to start using plastic bags because the use of paper bags was killing the forest. I remember how everyone hated having to use plastic because they were so much messier to store and ended up being more of a pain than anything. My how things have changed. Just a funny memory I had.

They used to make straws out of paper as well. Never understood why some people are upset about ditching plastic ones.

1 hour ago, WymanV said:

They used to make straws out of paper as well. Never understood why some people are upset about ditching plastic ones.

Indeed, I remember paper straws. Many places have stopped using plastic ones. You can get reusable plastic straws that come with a cleaning brush for the inside, for those that refuse to give them up.

As far as kit sprues, I was wondering if instead of a plastic bag for each sprue, use just one bag but separate the sprues with thin paper to protect them. Just thinking.

Why don't the manufacturers replace plastic bags with the new starch based ones? If starch based bags are strong enough to use on magazines sent through the post, they should be strong enough to use in plastic kit boxes.

And on environmental subjects, do you think modellers should do away with oil based and laquer paints and just use water based acrylics?

14 hours ago, ytsejam87 said:

You are luckier than I.  Our town's refuse directs us to not recycle type 6.  so, for some items (in this example styrene), we are threatened with fines for "contaminating" the single stream recycling! 

This "contamination" is the reason we are told that Chinese recycling firms are rejecting the recycled materials.  So, for me, it's off to those folks who will actually recycle it.

So much for going green.  

On to the paper bags:  I would think that this would adversely affect the packaging QA by slowing it down tremendously, as the QA folks would have to open the paper bag to look inside to ensure what those contents are, Increasing the costs even more than the possible increase by using paper.

Guess we will have to wait for Scotty to give us that formula for 100% transparent aluminum paper.

We have local council run sorting centers. All gets put in the plastics bin taken to be sorted out and then directed to the correct stream.

One day the oil will run out, plastic kits will be a thing of the past and those kits that cost £100 because they are so rare will be £1000 because plastic kits are so rare.

13 hours ago, WymanV said:

Personally I hate paper straws. They melt halfway through a drink and leave a bad taste. If the area I live in ever does do away with plastic straws I suppose I will get a re-usable metal straw or something.