Packaging for model kits

2 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

Crutchfield uses biodegradable packing peanuts for shipping, they dissolve in water, perhaps that same material, whatever it is, could be used to make something to enclose the parts trees.

I actually have seen a few companies do this with small portions of a sprue. Last one I recall seeing if I recall correctly I believe was the Hobby Boss F-16 kit. It had a small piece of foam wrapped around the canopy. That's actually a pretty good way to keep them from getting scratches but I'm sure the manual process of doing that adds some amount of cost and time to the packaging process. Sleeving an entire sprue could possibly work.

16 hours ago, niart17 said:

Personally I hate paper straws. They melt halfway through a drink and leave a bad taste. If the area I live in ever does do away with plastic straws I suppose I will get a re-usable metal straw or something. 

I don't remember the melting of straws during the '70's.  perhaps the new paper straws are missing a coating that was used "way back when".