1/48 Tamiya F-14A VF-142

Here are the final pics of my latest build. There is some nostalgia surrounding these markings; my first serious model at the age of 13 was the Italeri Tomcat in the same decals!

italeritomcat.jpeg

I remember building it over one night. This is still one of the most vivid memories of my childhood.

So when the Tamiya Tomcat came out, I told myself that my first real 48th Tomcat will be in these markings. The kit is excellent. I still chose to deepen all the panel lines and rivets to make sure the oil wash appears consistent in the details. Steel Beach tail braces, Wheelliant wheels, Quichboost TCS pod, Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya acrylics, MM metalizer paints for airbrushing, Vallejo for hand brushing, Furball decals. Overall, it was a lot of fun. 

WIP: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/305805-148-tamiya-f-14a-vf-142/

As always, I welcome all your critiques. 

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

Edited by Janissary

Thank you very much all! I really enjoyed the kit, what a marvel. There is still a lot I wish a had done more carefully and also with more confidence, but there is always a next build (hopefully). I appreciate everyone's comments and critiques, and also the feedback and support in the WIP. 

7 hours ago, Janissary said:

I haven't firmly decided yet, but I am thinking about AMK 1/48 KFIR C7. 

Just picked up that kit as well, still trying to decide the finish: standard IAF green/tan camo, or the grey on grey scheme. 

Cheers

Collin

6 hours ago, Collin said:

Just picked up that kit as well, still trying to decide the finish: standard IAF green/tan camo, or the grey on grey scheme. 

Cheers

Collin

if you can find the decals, I think these look pretty cool too:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/DN-ST-85-08601.jpg

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-right-side-view-of-a-fighter-squadron-43-vf-43-f-21a-kfir-aircraft-preparing-68942b

Edited by Janissary
5 hours ago, Janissary said:

Ahhh....the F-21. I knew a few folks waaaay back when in VFC-12 that flew them in VF-43 while on active duty. They said it was sporty.   

Cheers

Collin

On 1/25/2020 at 4:59 PM, Aigore said:

Absolutely gorgeous build! Like how the light weathering comes together.

Great work!

On 1/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, sheppsea said:

Absolutely stunning build, congratulations

I think I have been inspired on the markings to use on my Tamiya F-14A...

Thank you very much! It took a little more time than I expected going in, but it is a gorgeous kit.

• 4 weeks later...