Hello every one,

I am new to this forum but have been building sci fi models since before Yoda was a boy, here are a few of my scratch built sci fi models,please let me know what you think,these are ones I have built but there are some on the work bench to,

regards Old guy 

DSCF0744.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

Just now, old guy said:

Hello every one,

I am new to this forum but have been building sci fi models since before Yoda was a boy, here are a few of my scratch built sci fi models,please let me know what you think,these are ones I have built but there are some on the work bench to,

regards Old guy 

DSCF0744.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF9511.jpg

49 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Whoa! You built the Falcon from scratch and that big?!

YES all from flat plastic sheet and a few or should I say a lot of bits from my spares box, it took me three months to build and I was lucky enough to sell it at my local hobby store where the owner likes to put my models hanging from the ceiling and has been a great help and gives me inspiration for quite a few of my builds.I will post a photo of some of my models in the shop here.  I have tried to post more than two images at a time but have not been able to is this because I am new to the site or just one of those things. I will try to shrink my images down more and try to see if I can get more than one or two posted.

thank you for the good comments

regards the old guy   

DSCF9036.jpg

45 minutes ago, old guy said:

YES all from flat plastic sheet and a few or should I say a lot of bits from my spares box, it took me three months to build and I was lucky enough to sell it at my local hobby store where the owner likes to put my models hanging from the ceiling and has been a great help and gives me inspiration for quite a few of my builds.I will post a photo of some of my models in the shop here.  I have tried to post more than two images at a time but have not been able to is this because I am new to the site or just one of those things. I will try to shrink my images down more and try to see if I can get more than one or two posted.

thank you for the good comments

regards the old guy   

DSCF9036.jpg

15.jpg

13.jpg

DSCF9052.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

DSCF9759.jpg

GORDON ONE.jpg

15 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Good lord! Where does one have to go to visit that model shop and admire your handiwork?

I am afraid you will have to cross the pond ( Atlantic ocean ) to see the shop it is in England Called Transport models, it is in my home City  of  Preston in the county of Lancashire.

Here are a coupld more models I have built and been lucky enough to sell over the last few years.

regards the Old guy

DSCF2128.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF0889.jpg

Ohhh love the Nautilus!! My kids just watched the 1954 Disney movie for the first time yesterday! Well if I'm ever able to travel the world again and am in your neck of the woods, I know where to go! Keep up the great work!

4 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

Amazing work!!!  I built the 31" Nautilus from the Masterpiece Models kit and it was tough enough.  Can't imagine scratch building it.

Hello Scott,

the Nautilus in the photo was my first scratch build of the craft, it was six feet long and took over 4 months to build. I did at one point try to keep a score of how many hand cut slices of evergreen rod there were to represent the rivets but I gave up counting at around a thousand. I have since built two more small er versions of the craft one about 42 inches long the other 32 inches long and I have a guy who wants me to build another one but as yet he can not make up his mind how big. I have been lucky enough to havd sold all three of the craft. Here are a couple more photos of other models I have built, by the way I AM an OLD guy at 65, but thats only a number right ?.

regards  Barrie ( the old guy )    the  small model on my angel model wing is 1/72 scale so you can see how much bigger my scratch build is.

DSCF4408.jpg

DSCF6360.jpg

DSCF6370.jpg

Scratch built!  Wow!

I'm about to take my first journey into Sci Fi modelling trying to replicate this Frank Frazetta pic in a diorama in 1/48 scale.  It will be all scratch built, using spare bits where I can.

h7EZqoR.png

19 hours ago, Thommo said:

Scratch built!  Wow!

I'm about to take my first journey into Sci Fi modelling trying to replicate this Frank Frazetta pic in a diorama in 1/48 scale.  It will be all scratch built, using spare bits where I can.

h7EZqoR.png

That looks like quite a challenge is the picture your only source of reference ?,  I hope that you will post the build so I can see how you went on,,,good luck  what figure are you going to use ?

regards  the old guy 

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

That tracked launcher thing looks like it's about to hurl a Space Shuttle booster down range hahaha! Amazing work.

The tracked launcher is the mole from thunderbirds a popular puppet tv show the early sixties, the booster does lift of the launcher....

regards the old guy 

19 minutes ago, old guy said:

That looks like quite a challenge is the picture your only source of reference ?,  I hope that you will post the build so I can see how you went on,,,good luck  what figure are you going to use ?

regards  the old guy 

I only have one more ref pic, but I'll probably not include the hot looking fairy girl unless I can find a suitable 1/48 figure 😉  & the other bits in the air!

ReMbCAx.jpg

I'm using some old Tamiya WW2 groundcrew figures and some spare pilots for the spaceman.  I've made a little progress on this already, but need to add more detail with Epoxy then sand very carefully to shape.  

GAsWUKM.jpg

qEh1Ie8.jpg

ylZu2V8.jpg

PiM8KC4.jpg

Lots more fiddly stuff to do on this guy!

14 hours ago, Thommo said:

I only have one more ref pic, but I'll probably not include the hot looking fairy girl unless I can find a suitable 1/48 figure 😉  & the other bits in the air!

ReMbCAx.jpg

I'm using some old Tamiya WW2 groundcrew figures and some spare pilots for the spaceman.  I've made a little progress on this already, but need to add more detail with Epoxy then sand very carefully to shape.  

GAsWUKM.jpg

qEh1Ie8.jpg

ylZu2V8.jpg

PiM8KC4.jpg

Lots more fiddly stuff to do on this guy!

looks like a great start to your project, you have far more patience than I have I find small models much harder to build and admire those that can, and those that can also add a great paint job to bring a model to life, I myself am terrible at painting, a base coat is the most I usually do.

regards the old guy 

13 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I know what the Thunderbirds are. I may be younger but I remember watching Nick at Nite😉.

Sorry Mr Whiskey I was not sure if the tv series was shown all over the states, I should have know that it is a world wide thing. I am sure there are many sci fi shows that are shown in America which never reach over here to England and vice versa.

regards the old guy

Wow! and WOW!!!

Man I wish I had skills like yours. I laughed when you said it took 3 whole months for that one model. I can't complete an out of box kit in three months!

I would love to see more of that Battlestar.

Also I am a huge Thunderbirds fan and love your TB-3. I recognized that unfinished Mole right away and my jaw dropped. I have most all of the old Imai and Bandai kits from the series and those would take some work to make an acceptable model.

I can only imagine what (and how big and awesome) a Fireflash and three elevator cars would be...

Cheers

Max Bryant

20 hours ago, mightymax said:

Wow! and WOW!!!

Man I wish I had skills like yours. I laughed when you said it took 3 whole months for that one model. I can't complete an out of box kit in three months!

I would love to see more of that Battlestar.

Also I am a huge Thunderbirds fan and love your TB-3. I recognized that unfinished Mole right away and my jaw dropped. I have most all of the old Imai and Bandai kits from the series and those would take some work to make an acceptable model.

I can only imagine what (and how big and awesome) a Fireflash and three elevator cars would be...

Cheers

Max Bryant

Hello Max, 

I am so glad you like the models, as an old guy  (65 ) I have been model making a long time but since taking retirement  or as my partner Carol calls it retardment, I have had the chance to build even more models and with good fortune and help from my local hobby store have been able to sell some of my models. The battle star was bought a few year ago by  a friend in Greece for his collection he has since asked me to build a further 8 or 9 models for him. The latest being a 4 feet wing span bat wing pics of which I will try to post here along with build pics of the battle star.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

DSCF4967.jpg

DSCF5733.jpg

1 minute ago, old guy said:

Hello Max, 

I am so glad you like the models, as an old guy  (65 ) I have been model making a long time but since taking retirement  or as my partner Carol calls it retardment, I have had the chance to build even more models and with good fortune and help from my local hobby store have been able to sell some of my models. The battle star was bought a few year ago by  a friend in Greece for his collection he has since asked me to build a further 8 or 9 models for him. The latest being a 4 feet wing span bat wing pics of which I will try to post here along with build pics of the battle star.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

DSCF4967.jpg

DSCF5733.jpg

more pics

DSCF5735.jpg

DSCF5402.jpg