KC-135 Paint Question

Hi,

There was 58-0062, KC-135Q from Dyess AFB (with a DY tailcode). She's on page 109 of Robert Hopkins' book "The Boeing KC135 Stratotanker- more tha  Tanker".

It's a photograph by Stephen Miller there, taken at the Andrews AFB Open House in 1993.

I also saw her in 1993, she attended the IAT in Fairford.

Cheers, Stefan. 

2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

There was 58-0062, KC-135Q from Dyess AFB (with a DY tailcode). She's on page 109 of Robert Hopkins' book "The Boeing KC135 Stratotanker- more tha  Tanker".

It's a photograph by Stephen Miller there, taken at the Andrews AFB Open House in 1993.

I also saw her in 1993, she attended the IAT in Fairford.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Really?
ACC painted their J57 powered KC-135Q FS36320 ?

I believe it was FS36173... (I have a feeling, that it was pretty rare to have an "A" or "Q" painted this way though...)  The new paint was coming online as the J57s were still being swapped out for TF33s and CFM56s... early 1990s.  Still looking though.... anyone have anymore?

10 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Seen a photo of the Dyess AMC-gray A model at Fairford...it jumped out at me as I’d come to believe that no As or Qs ever got the overall 36173. 

Jonah

Thats an interesting one, I thought they were all reengined before they were painted.
Something new.

I know huh...??!! I thought I had seen a photo in a book many years ago, but then could never find it again... now, I’ve found a few..!  It was apparently very rare, and I think all that wore the AMC Grey were “Q”s (no “A”s)... And I don't think one ever got painted more than once, as all were eventually re-engined or retired before they needed paint again... so they only existed in that color, with J57 engines, for 4-5 years max...