Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Flankerman

USS Albacore AGSS-569 from MikroMir

Recommended Posts

Another new addition to the slipway - the Mikro-Mir injection-moulded kit of the experimental submarine USS Albacore... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albacore_(AGSS-569)

 

Box art....

 

spacer.png

 

Instructions.....

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

The hull is split horizontally - with excellent engraved detail.....

 

spacer.png

 

A second sprue contains the conning tower and dive planes etc...

 

spacer.png

 

The package is finished off with a small decal sheet, etched brass propellers and a clear 'windscreen'....

 

spacer.png

 

This is another very welcome kit from Mikro-Mir's growing range of 1/350 scale subs.

 

Having already built the Blue Ridge resin kit of the Albacore :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_350_scale.html#USS_Albacore_AGSS-569

I may try and 'convert' the Mikro-Mir kit into an earlier configuration with vertical rudders and horizontal dive planes - as shown in the first drawing here....

 

spacer.png

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making a start.... the upper and lower hulls are cemented together - with the join filled and sanded down.

 

Note the filled-in holes for the X-shaped rear dive planes....

 

spacer.png

 

Mikro-Mir's model is of a later version - with a moveable 'rudder' at the rear of the saill......

 

spacer.png

 

As I am building an earlier version, the rudder was cemented in place.....

 

spacer.png

 

... and blended in with filler.......

 

spacer.png

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All assembled and ready for a coat of primer......

 

spacer.png

 

The early variant had + shaped rear dive planes - so I used the kit-supplied X planes cut down to size and mounted appropriately.

 

spacer.png

 

I decided to use Halfords White Plastic Primer instead of my normal grey as a better base for the topside orange.....

 

spacer.png

 

Ken

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's painted.....

 

spacer.png

 

As she was painted in primer orange whilst afloat - I assume only the hull above the waterline would have been painted......

 

and.... I'm guessing that the pennant numbers and other deck markings weren't re-applied until after the topsides were re-painted black?

 

Thoughts anyone????

 

spacer.png

 

This is what I'm trying to re-create......

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Comments - and links to any other images - welcome.

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...