ARC Discussion Forums

Thommo

First Foray into Sci-Fi

I did Art at school in Years 9&10.  We were big fans of Frank Frazetta's fantasy art.  Some of the kids were really good at replicating his style.  I was shoot-house at it 😁.  But when I revisited some of his pics lately, I got  an idea.

I'll probably not include the hot looking naked fairy girl unless I can find a suitable 1/48 figure 😉  & the other bits in the air!

ReMbCAx.jpg

I'm using some old Tamiya WW2 groundcrew figures and some spare pilots for the spaceman.  I've made a little progress on this, but need to add more detail with Epoxy then sand very carefully to shape.  

GAsWUKM.jpg

qEh1Ie8.jpg

ylZu2V8.jpg

PiM8KC4.jpg

Lots more fiddly stuff to do on this guy!

I'll probably use the spare transparent fuselage parts from a 1/48 Fouga Magister for his spacecraft.

Giving him some muscles & a space helmet.

Still looks like he's had a few too many trips to Macca's though.

3UpNT7b.jpg

A few touch ups and he'll be done.  Not as smooth as I'd planned, but in 1/48, it's pretty tricky to scratch build a figure and with the naked eye it looks OK.

yYfL6Gt.jpg

p4R9gLM.jpg

Starting on his spaceship fuselage frame.

Was hoping to use parts of a 1/48 jet fuselage, but it is the wrong shape so will have to scratch the lot.

I've since added Araldite to the plastic-brass wire joins to strengthen as Superglue is too weak.

tKWXul6.jpg

Now trying to figure out how to add wings.  Just trail & error, no blueprint/measurements to go on.

Been looking at radio control aircraft building websites to get some basic ideas.  A few spars & formers is the current plan, then skin with either drink can aluminium or maybe thin styrene sheet.

9L6p2ma.jpg

Some basic cockpit details scratched up.  Who knows what this spaceship cockpit looks like 🤷‍♂️, all you can see in the pic is part of a brown seat & console, so artistic licence rules eh!

fznoxLs.jpg