First Foray into Sci-Fi

I did Art at school in Years 9&10.  We were big fans of Frank Frazetta's fantasy art.  Some of the kids were really good at replicating his style.  I was shoot-house at it 😁.  But when I revisited some of his pics lately, I got  an idea.

I'll probably not include the hot looking naked fairy girl unless I can find a suitable 1/48 figure 😉  & the other bits in the air!

ReMbCAx.jpg

I'm using some old Tamiya WW2 groundcrew figures and some spare pilots for the spaceman.  I've made a little progress on this, but need to add more detail with Epoxy then sand very carefully to shape.  

GAsWUKM.jpg

qEh1Ie8.jpg

ylZu2V8.jpg

PiM8KC4.jpg

Lots more fiddly stuff to do on this guy!

I'll probably use the spare transparent fuselage parts from a 1/48 Fouga Magister for his spacecraft.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting on his spaceship fuselage frame.

Was hoping to use parts of a 1/48 jet fuselage, but it is the wrong shape so will have to scratch the lot.

I've since added Araldite to the plastic-brass wire joins to strengthen as Superglue is too weak.

tKWXul6.jpg

Now trying to figure out how to add wings.  Just trail & error, no blueprint/measurements to go on.

Been looking at radio control aircraft building websites to get some basic ideas.  A few spars & formers is the current plan, then skin with either drink can aluminium or maybe thin styrene sheet.

9L6p2ma.jpg

Some basic cockpit details scratched up.  Who knows what this spaceship cockpit looks like 🤷‍♂️, all you can see in the pic is part of a brown seat & console, so artistic licence rules eh!

fznoxLs.jpg

I abandoned my attempt to make the fuselage panels from drink can aluminium (may still use it on the wings?), and went for styrene sheet instead - much easier to work with and more forgiving.

XfNGosF.jpg

d2FFfO2.jpg

CKzBKIC.jpg

O150qS6.jpg

kTLhfR2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's coming along.  Not as smooth as I'd planned, but scratching everything is a learning curve. I tried to vac-form the canopies but failed, so ended up cutting down some spares to fit.

I've decided I will add the naked fairy girl 😁 I can buy a 6 pack of scantily dressed 1/35 WW2 pinup girls & cut & paste with some anatomical modifications 😉

A friend in making a circular wooden base for me.  I'll buy some of that AK carving foam (never used it before) to make the rock scenery.

dwZNTkm.jpg

GDJ44tX.jpg

J51YbiX.jpg

UFayapN.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks gents.  I'm really happy with the base & spacecraft, but think I could have done a bit better on the figures.  In the end, the pilot was 1/48, but the fairy 1/35 & I had to put her further to the left than in the Frazetta painting.  And she was too scrawny, so I had to fatten her up a bit with Epoxy (a Botticelli style girl).  Her butt is still a bit small though!

The rocks on the base are made from AK-Interactive carving foam.  This stuff is absolutely the ducks nuts, so easy to work with.  But make sure you wear a dust mask, else you'll think you are coming down with Corona, esp. when sanding it.  Lots of small particles are liberated.

My wife & I watched Bladerunner 2049 this arvo which gave me a few ideas for another Sci-Fi theme.

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

My wife & I watched Bladerunner 2049 this arvo which gave me a few ideas for another Sci-Fi theme.

Great Movie. I recently watched the original and sequel back to back. They did a really good job continuing the story so many years later.

That's a really cool vignette.  I love that 60's/70's pop-sci vibe.  Really nice job.  The figures look great to me.  Impressive job on the fairy.

Thommo,

I was caught off-guard as I read your introduction, because I thought you were building a

ready-made kit. Wow, what a pleasant surprise in what you've been able to accomplish.

Just my opinion, the Fairy Girl is a must have and would complete the diorama! Excellent

modeling skills creating such a model from scratch.