Another new arrival on the slips - the 1/350 scale injection-moulded kit of USS Growler from Mikro-Mir......

Box art...

spacer.png

History and paint guide......

spacer.png

Instructions for the hull.......

spacer.png

Regulus I Missile and conning tower.....

spacer.png

Final assembly....

spacer.png

Vertically split hull - with excellent engraved detail.....

spacer.png

Conning tower, decking and one half of the missile.....

spacer.png

Minor parts, missile half, decals and etched-brass.....

spacer.png

I already have her sister-boat (USS Grayback) in my collection.......

spacer.png

So this new kit from MikroMir should make for an interesting comparison....

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going in.....

MikroMir provide a hangar for the Regulus I missile - so I plan to have one side closed with the missile on its launcher, and the other side open. showing the hangar bay...

Here are the kit parts.... consisting of a UU shaped 'floor', a rear section, a dividing wall and a 'roof' (which is also the forward decking)....

spacer.png

The instructions would have you fit the UU floor (part 31) and rear section (part 29) into the port hull half ........

spacer.png

... then you fit the dividing wall (part 28), followed by the roof/decking (part 37) - but the location isn't very precise, so I ignored the instructions and made the hangar as a separate sub-assembly...

spacer.png

spacer.png

This sub-assembly is then fitted inside the port hull half - with the upper decking giving a more precise fit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some filler needed....

Then the starboard hull half is cemented in place....

spacer.png

Once the gaps are filled and cleaned up it should look OK..... (the bow section is not yet cemented together...)

Ken

For a new kit, there is a lot of flash to remove - and the fit of parts isn't brilliant - but if you want a 1/350th USS Growler........

I want to display my model with one missle hangar open, the other closed (as she is on display in NY)...

The domed covers don't fit very well - they kept 'falling' inside the hangar - so I added a disc of thin plastic card to cover the hole...

spacer.png

....then glued the dome in place...

spacer.png

The port side panel is then fitted (again fit is a bit 'iffy').......

spacer.png

Some filler (and a wash!) needed....

spacer.png

Finally the starboard panel is added...

spacer.png

I'm off now to buy shares in Squadron Signal White Putty.... :whistle:

Ken

Progress....

The ill-fitting side panels had their gaps filled.........

spacer.png

....followed by sanding and a coat of grey primer.... which revealed the need for more filler/sanding/primer etc....

Until I was happy that the join was hidden......

spacer.png

Nine tiny bollards were added and a final primer coat..... happy so far.

spacer.png

MikroMir quote Ocean Grey as the top colour - I'm going with the Halfords Grey Plastic Primer - which looks OK to me...

Ken

More....

MikroMir provide an etched handrail to go around the sail/bridge/conning tower - but the part is tiny and there are no locating holes.

Far beyond my capabilities to fit - and anyway, the etched part pinged off into the ether when I attempted for use it.... :wall: - so I used a thin piece of plastic rod instead...

spacer.png

Note the small step cut into the bottom of the sail - this is to get a better fit into the recess in the deck.

The missile launch rail is made up from nine parts (two not yet fitted).

The Regulus I Cruise Missile comprises five parts - with a mould mis-match on the rocket boosters that needs to be cleaned up.... (they're 7mm long)

spacer.png

The fuselage is just 27mm long - more Micro-surgery than scale modelling !!!! - those wings are wafer-thin and trying to clean up that vertical fin...... (with my fat fingers and failing eyesight)

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on what looks to be a challenging kit :thumbsup:. Such a unique looking sub to add alongside its sister in your cabinet.

I'm just getting back into sub kits after a few years away. Currently on Zevzda's 1/350 project 955 "Borey" with the early directional rudders and diving planes.

I'll follow along on your build.

Happy modeling!