A tale of three little F-16's

Hi there,

So there I was, sitting in my chair, thinking, what could I build, annoyed a bit with my 72 scale Academy Phantom decals. I figured, I could have an F-16 for dinner.

After quick stroll I found three little houses, with three little 1/48 F-16's. One lived in a straw house, one lived in stick house and one lived in brick house. Now the question was, which one was where.

So I huffed and I puffed and I blew this one in:

PGBF0LDK4GpKz9ughEZcDM0hK3rM433rJZaOuPEq

Not having enough, I huffed and I puffed once more, and blew this one in:

QcuOe7DBjfuWCJ-OQ1f3LcMT-ILpmHk6SPUrOjD7

Still not enough for a wolf like me, I huffed and I puffed, and blew this one in:

kNgT95Uu1ADYztYizSAjgG1gCvaaO2go8un8JEjd

Hopefully, by the end of this build I'm going to find out, which one of them piggies F-16's lived in which house. Muahahahaa! Muahahahaaaaa!

Edited by Thadeus
Some pic swapping ;)
2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Sorry, your pics are not showing up for me....  ☹️

Hopefully, everything is sorted now 🙂 Not much to see right now though 😉

Thanks for stopping by!

Ok, after a bit of fiddling with the builds, I do have an idea which piggie might live in a straw house. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Let's begin with a bit of complaining:

I've no real problems with Hasegawa, which I expect will be the easiest build. Italeri will probably have some simplifications, fake details and such, which I will have to either correct or leave as they are. Kinetic, if the reports are true will fight me, I truly fear the nose assembly.

But the first surprise came from Hasegawa. A missing part. Unfortunatly it's quite an important part, that goes under the canopy. I'm probably going to have to make it form scratch. There's also one more part missing, that goes on the spine, but it's just a flat plate. Still, a bit annoying.

qrCNnk-rtptjWinb-GlHY5aHHeqGYJTa27Iv2tJu

What I love about new Italeri kits is their decals. Nice options, good quality decals. Just don't trust the paint diagrams. Sometimes there's some color problem with the decals themselves. But I've noticed it can be traced to different lighnting conditions and such of reference photos. Usually nothing major. And there's this kit. I'm going for the Oregon ANG option. My very first F-16, an Italeri 1/72 B wore similar decals. Quite fitting to use something similar for my first F-16 in 1/48. Just the color of the lighter parts of the eagle are off. More in terms of 36270 used on the tail. Should be much lighter gray. So I either have to mask the tail, or forget it. Masking the eagle would be easy. But the Oregon legend is going to be tricky. I've had some bad experience trying to cut out letters. So that's a minus for the Italeri Kit.

-HbM3JguyGTzX47S6EyzhixkDoXoLVbzz-3xW2rg

Oh look. Italeri again. That was expected. Panel lines on the spine insert don't line up.

aEnfVPTxRuxbamfvpS-vX6RjVjLkjHGZe-qhe0qw

Yes. Much better now. Gap should be easy to fill with plastic card.

N-HDCOlqBy1yDBohOA5XZ58W2BHI81f1RwcmmvM3

But there will be a problem with the canopy. It would probably disturb the shape of a model. So I guess rescribing is the way to go. BTW. Notice how nice the panel lines are? A bit soft, but nice.

b_pM67Xjl4snw9sbEL25YXx-IpjCqhswA8rhjXDc

Funny thing is, the Italeri kit, in my neck of the woods is a little more expensive than Hasegawa F-16CJ. About 3$ or such. Hasegawa F-16F I bought for about 10$ more than Hasegawa F-16CJ. I wonder if the more expesive Deser Falcons would have all the parts 😉 Kinetic I managed to get for 1,5$ less than Tamiya, which was again, about 10$ more than the F-16F from Hasegawa. So I guess I should've gotten the Tamiya kits. Not much of a showdown would that be though 😉

Next up, cocpkits. Thanks for stopping by.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for having this GB. I really like comparing what's out there. Different kits might have a lot of common ideas, and yet still be totally different. Italeri and Heller 1/72 Mirage 2000 come to mind. Or Italeri and Hasegawa Kfirs. Sometimes one can be quite surprised with the outcome of such comparison.

I've been doing a lot of on-off modeling, at least by my current standards. So what mysteries are there in my favourite place in the aircraft - the cockpit?

First the Hasegawa one. This one, quite surprisingly required the most work. Front IP is OK-ish for an "C" - not really for any block 60's though. The aft IP doesn't even cut it for anything other than "B".

04N9wp756iRBqxHACXDf_SiRtZeHI_kxDSjV--UO

After a bit of work, I made up something vaguely resembling the cockpit of block 60's. That's actually pretty good by my standards.

0Wbabv6RWKS_4gN4heNF3a-usu36-vaPhRG56Kov

Both the tubs feature nice raised details. I hope to pick them up after painting. The aft bulkhead is inaccurate at least for the front office. I don't really know about the aft one. There are probably some other inaccuracies in the buttons and such. I can't seem to find a picture of block 60 rear cockpit.

lKY-xV5FMlHJXhEqwXTueR4zoCt62p2lshvs1dna

And here's the front office with seat in place. That's not a lot of space for the pilot.

1M6NKESknQdEWTkOaw02s9a7NyfmZbst-EWMQkkC

Hasegawa seat consists of four parts. It's quite basic but acceptable by my standards.

69da3DteRv41ISMS-LYMxSFvKLnqxIbAIKG4O6fO

With Kinetic kit, You get a nice, Tamiya'esque cockpit tub, with separate side consoles. Fit is quite good. Way better than I've heard.

GDtnCIsm-Ber6708E_3Hn7oJtT1-OULFW5j-Vo5K

Seat is a bit better detailed than Hasegawa, save for the aft part which is just a blank wall.

oSzrd37NZgBDLFBNRS7mUy3SDjFVE1Cz8iFipfIT

Italeri. Well. I gotta say I like that cockpit. Detail seems nice, there are some omissions such as lack of radar screen on the lower middle console, simplified dials, hud control panel strangelly lowered. Still,

gIhsvjdH7TxPKXnsQ7GwTPYK8gMYSfJCeRgB60yM

And look at that seat. If it wasn't for the ejector pin markings.

zYRwOglWzQsrGnb3sXhVIZSXYPu3-9jOYIVCnsuy

All three seats are a little different. There is significant difference in height with Hasegawa being the biggest one. I placed them, as I rate any other ejection seats, with seat cushion on the one level. It lets me check how high the seat is regarding the side consoles. Usually, it is more or less levell with the side consoles, so with adding or removing material from the lower part of the seat I could adjust it's height.

Oh, its Italeri to the left, Kinetic in the middle, and the Hasegawa to the right.

y-KchDlYRuC6ar472856PoxzMqFUl2GFx_lyXDEl

But frankly, each of the seats have something that annoys me. Italeri has too short headrest and weird back cushion - too thin.

Kinetic is fiddly, and the headrest looks weird, flat or something. There's no portruding part on the aft plate, which is present on two other seats.

Hasegawa is just huge. I'll have to compare it to some other seats in 1/48. It could also use a proper flight data recorder (?) box on the side, as the one in the kit looks like a dimple.

oZxzPahHXl5-rEMZCRBFE1hp3k59mZ5E6KNGR4A9

I've added some sidewall details to the models, totally made up. But at least it's there, right? 😉

I've been doing a lot of subassemblies. One such I was very anxious about was mating the forward and aft portions of the upper fuselage of Kinetic kit. Gotta say. WOW! Nice fit with almost no step. Great! BTW check out that details.

Ywyd8xpElF3KtsU0rpwEhhDg1wdcGIVuiyPUlLld

Curious thing about the wingtip launchers. From top to bottom Kinetic, Italeri, Hasegawa. Obviously, I'm not using Hasegawa launchers. I'll replace them with LAU-127's from the kit. Kinetic will also get their appropriate -127's. But Italeri? I separated the kit launchers and I'm planning on using the Kinetic ones even though the look "a bit" too skinny.

0Ez-DqyIWYDEHDm_NEYWydAZkYBQSfhoaGXYkw4T

I've a bit of a plan regarding the stores. While I know exactly what I'll hang under the Kinetic and Italeri ones, I've not yet decided what will hang under the wings of the Hasegawa one.

Italeri will have 4x aim-9L's with centerline tank, Kinetic will have 9x and 120 combo, with centerline tanks. Hasegawa will 100% have the centerline tank. The rest is still in the unknown.

Well. I'd be hesitant to use the Italeri or Kinetic wing tanks. Italeri are just weird and too skinny. Kinetic has too bulbous tanks which look weird. They do however have the best detail and correct fins.

XuRRM0R1mvxqkRWnzb7DUUbq317ERTJWWM_sujQK

And so I figured, why not experiment with magnets. Out came the drills and 1x1mm neodymium magnets.

CDJV0nct7FMuUMYejXKYrkcUhot6-6FUHxXKH0mA

8LQjY_8xhHJRmkL6eXheIUEXjcJaOp9xw1jSjh95

kc06AIbEX3YojbX-rIFQnrW25JgL7o1XO-PndN-0

And voila! In the hindsight, I probably should've used 2x1 mm magnets. Might be stronger. I'm not 100% confident small ones will hold the fuel tank with pylon. Plus drilling so many holes and then fitting the magnets the correct side was annoying. Note to self, if I ever do this again, reverse the polarity on the wings, so I  won't be able to mix the right pylons with left ones.

_RlTMVrPcSRmPt5yqmuaZBvQ9_HqecOdIGLelyS3

Oh, I've cut the flaps on the Hasegawa one. Will do the same on the Italeri.

Thanks for stopping by! Stay tuned for the intakes, that's where the fun starts!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for the kind words. I've contemplated adding Tamiya to the mix. But frankly I suppose this would not be too fair. Neither Hasegawa nor Kinetic have all the stuff Tamiya Viper has - details, fit and such.

I've done some minor work on the Italeri kit. Right now my Hornets take up most of the time.

8FGYmyrTY3kTeBnkoXXl47fT1uVVTWE0xvqCUu_G

After filling most of the panel lines on the insert, I put a bit of black paint to check the work.

35_Mwlw_rIup-5_kvh5Ot5tVhSX23kfSS-3_I3FR

Some rescribing work. I HATE rescribing rectangles. Lots of mistakes.

JC6P1eq3Nz9gseppOw2yfyPULN4igiXhaMbVCVS1

I'm a bit scared to put some paint on. It will probably look like it was carved with a finger nail.

Thanks for stopping by!

• 4 months later...

So how about some update? I've managed to complete the cockpits. Even glue them in, but that's another story.

From left to right: Italeri, Kinetic, Hasegawa.

ACtC-3cJiDtqFRih7_24JQ94hN3oF3lCt8QCjt4d

I painted the ejection seats black, as a base. They're nowhere near finished.

ACtC-3civ1esGSLyaM6KpNNWIJiol8WmbAUNBThw

ACtC-3czoaZJ-xW8nDBrRmO6NzJPJMgE-Hqc15fG

ACtC-3enrGRbcd7uLuME6xQHSQ6ThG29wuIIgbYf

ACtC-3dWlpqkViEhRCeEpTLj3Bx8Mmouni37Rr7A

Love the details on both the Kinetic and Hasegawa cockpits. Italeri is slightly behind.

I also fitted the wings to the upper fuselage of the Hasegawa Viper. I found this the preffered solution for the 1/72 version. Works so so for the 1/48.

Next time I hope to have the main fuselage assembly of all three Vipers.

Cheers!

ACtC-3fuBgBSdlwezM5yrcenu6HLOokmpdcCGXd7

On 8/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, Kurt H. said:

That is very nice detail painting on the cockpits. I had to double check and verify it was 1/72 scale... very tiny details cleanly painted. 

Thanks. They're actually 1/48 😉 I'd love to get that much detail in 1/72.

My current work setup (the kitchen island) is not optimised for modelling. No good light source, as the MoD (Ministry of Decorations) prefers the dimmed lights there. Gotta get myself a portable lamp that'd make painting small details easier. Or at least that's my excuse for the shaky hand painting for now 😉

On 8/15/2020 at 7:47 AM, Thadeus said:

Thanks. They're actually 1/48 😉 I'd love to get that much detail in 1/72.

My current work setup (the kitchen island) is not optimised for modelling. No good light source, as the MoD (Ministry of Decorations) prefers the dimmed lights there. Gotta get myself a portable lamp that'd make painting small details easier. Or at least that's my excuse for the shaky hand painting for now 😉

My fault.  I was pretty tired when trying to catch up with this thread and I thought these were 1/72, and I figured you used a microscope to paint them. They look really good.

• 4 months later...

Oooh little pig... ekhem Vipers where are You.

Here we are here we are, You won't catch Us.

I'm still at it. And plan to finish the job. Though my attention is shifting nowadays to other projects.

Here's the both newest and oldest one. Hasegawa. The one I have the least problems with I'm dead set on markings (not much else to do with a block 60. Right?), decals are ok-ish for the build. Basicly what's left is to paint, glosscoat, decal, glosscoat, weather, flatcoat and do the final assembly. 

ACtC-3cy_Zrvmftt1wZVmXyMJ5FTZxS-a0jq4CPA

ACtC-3e4Ty_3pdzuUdOvsSjzAcDSDe5ZLoXlcyWI

Some filling was needed but I expected that from a kit of such age.

This is how it looked yesterday. Apparently I can no longer make fine lines with my airbrush.

ACtC-3fLnldBS1-hILeoGZq56ne311EcHkuvoDG7

The biggest problem I had was with that damned radome. Here's the better side.

ACtC-3csY_92ZSb-Kvm2wThVsIyBZZsJbh5KqTqT

Kinetic will take some more time, as I have to do some more assembly. I'm having slight problem choosing markings. Either I'll go with the box markings with decorated fin, or for just a plain gray bird. I'm not yet sure if I'll blackbase this scheme or do a preshade. Or perhaps just postshading. That'd be interesting. All 3 Vipers with different painting techniques. I'll think about it.

ACtC-3dN97OBtVmstho6SqvI_luC1NKJM0O92zaa

And Italeri. This one will get color first. Here's all made up.

ACtC-3dbZLK0vTQc3fd1uQINOz83R6JnlE3oBitd

And with some ultra stealth black paint.

ACtC-3cX0ckgb5DXvwyy-rz6U3OLI_L-qur0k8pG

Apparently the rescribing job came out not that bad. Obviously that's the better side. There's still some filling to do around the aft part of the canopy.

ACtC-3eXFFQ9-bJnQ2yJkY3Kh2eP_e18WOYQwqq-

Well. But there are some significant problems with this build. I really dig the Oregon ANG scheme. Both on F-16's and F-15's. I really like the Italeri decals. Their choice is pretty nice despite kits being so-so. Decals are thin and apply nicely. There are often some problems with the actual decals, color. This time it's the light gray on the eagle. It's very dark. The OREGON legend is of the wrong font. Shame really.

ACtC-3dwvquYp9-o-e1UGWC-Ac_C5WPSh5d20ssx

The color scheme is most definatly wrong for the decals. 1. It's the early scheme of the F-16's. 2. the OREGON font is of the different (and correct!) type. 3. Eagle light gray is of the different gray (much more proper-ish). The upper drawing (without the inscription "City of Sweet Home") is pretty much correct for this bird as it appeared sometime before 1994. Frankly, this verision of the scheme appeals to me much more.

See? : https://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album68/81-0691

Decals however (and boxart) seem to be based on this version / picture. I doubt the eagle head and legs were really that dark, but they seem close to the fin color.

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/15583/L/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-16A-ADF-Fighting-Falcon/81-0691/

It looks as if the jet was repainted in 1994. Oh. There are no ejection seat triangles for this scheme. Isnt this fun? It might be that my eyes are playing tricks on me, or the decal itself will come out much lighter once applied (i'm not counting on it). I might have to go and get some f-16 decals just for the stencils. Or rob the Hasegawa or Tamiya kits of some stencil. That seems like a waste of good decals.

Whatever the case, I'll huff, and I'll puff and we're off to paint barn to paint it the way I want.

Thanks for stopping by!

So I slapped some paint on the Italeri F-16.

ACtC-3ewQhMffiw8c7oeOZdXVFvER7DVVOPljJ84

There's still some touching up to do. Mainly on the Neutral gray area of the nose and the intake. I've lightened the 36118 a tiny bit. I'm not too happy with the 36375 shade on the underside. Very little contrast between this and neutral gray.

ACtC-3fw_tnpj1bT2Q0ZkFlYJTm8CwX2OkE7jH62

With touch ups done I gloss coated this little piggie. I experimented with polishing the surface after gloss for more even finish 2000 grit wet sandpaper was used. The surface was indeed smoothed out. I polish every matt coat with paper towel and it works like a charm. Gloss color and gloss coat I can't. This I hope will eliminate any silvering problems.

ACtC-3f405py3AvRp24UsmYhLBOfow-TpOqzjpXC

Now, the first decal to go was obviously the Oregon ANG Eagle. And success! Great! There's a lot of color difference between the head of the Eagle and tail of the jet. Only the font is wrong. I still feel the light gray on the Eagle should be a bit lighter, but it's ok.  This is right after application.

ACtC-3cb-oEdK32pVLsgdzEU90rBjl38dA9beEJG

As predicted/suspected the warning triangles were ehkem... Yes, that. For a boxart scheme, they'd do. For my version or the instruction version they do not. Wooohooo! As I'm pretty new to 1/48 I don't have spare decals. Luckilly, I have two more F-16, one of which has 4 warning triangles. They are significantly larger though.

ACtC-3csDrgvs8NWIqCXOIf0gAL7daXg-PmTK-F3

Here's the "darker" triangle on.

ACtC-3fWpS8or5COI83AgaETXIjdisqW4kCnFO41

One more fun fact. My light ghost gray is perfect match for the underside national insignia. That's good to know! I might have read somewhere, or seen, the lower stars and bars should be much darker, like 36118. Ok I might have to check what I can rob of other kits. I do have the F-16CJ's from Hasegawa and Tamiya. I might have the Authentic decal sheet for F-16. It might have the proper insignia. I'll have to dig it out. As a matter of fact, the gloss coat significantly darkened the Light Ghost Gray (way more than I'm used to). I'm hoping the final matt coat will make it lighter.

ACtC-3e9NcMK3OAduG_3e1MSN6GxSl4q-Oh4HfIs

See - all dressed up. Notice the Kinetic warning triangles. They are a bit too large IMO.

ACtC-3fCDKBn6iR1DqlNpvJ6aC8NXnNXEd9FhUj0

ACtC-3cLfXiDz53cM921K0QAwZzDHwuN1ofq4Fj6

Frankly I kind of regret swapping the wing rails for the Kinetic ones. When I dry fitted intended missiles they look thicker than the rail. I guess I'll have to figure something out. Perhaps use the 9m's from Kinetic. But they're too nice for this kit. I could take the ones from Block60, rob two from the Hasegawa block50 in the stash. I'll think about it.

Thanks for stopping by!

• 1 month later...

I seem to be painting nowadays everytime I have some workbench time. This time I painted the F-16F. Gotta say, while the 36495 went on pretty smoothly, the 36320 was a paaaaain(t).

ACtC-3drfi8frfn2J8rLNhfwxHgj7kVp4UANHDD2

Frankly, I'm not really happy with the freehand job I've done. I might have to go in and do a repaint.

ACtC-3ddpIbvrF9t-2HK1J6zrqyZoKFSqwEiqXFW

IRL it's waaaay more blue that that. I used Model Master dark ghost gray instead of gunze or pactra. I find it to have a nice blueish tint. Probably the nicest one I've seen. The paint itself is a tad too dark for 1/48 though.

Thanks for stopping by.

Looking good. It is hard to translate a paint pattern to an F-16... I lost my mind trying to draw the pattern on an F-16 I painted. It looks like you did pretty well with the freehand camo.

Glad to see you are sticking with it... The group build goes ever onward.

• 1 year later...

I hate leaving a thread unfinished said the Wolf. Even if it takes me a lot of time - he added.

Officially, on 27 april 2022 the Wolf finished all the work on these three little Vipers.

So a quick recap:

The Italeri piggy. Yes, I kind of knew it from the start, this piggy lived in the straw house. It's not a bad kit - I keep telling this all the time, apparently. There are some cool features, such as both double and single seater options. Some Mistercraft repacks have all the parts, even the spine for the Israeli version. The detail is ok-ish, with a nice, albeit a bit fictous cockpit. In hindsight, I shouldn't have replaced the missile launchers.

It took me 30 hours and 59 minutes to finish, which is a good time. The only real problem I have with it is that spine insert. Otherwise, the wings are tiny bit thick, the leading edge is not sharp, and the exhaust nozzle is better replaced with, say, Hasegawa one. The wing tanks seem odd too.

One important factor for me, is the price. And frankly, it it overpriced. The thing that has most going for it are very nice decals. I just wish Italeri would really do more research on the colours of the decals.

AM-JKLVpd8Axd4vNuOEGjRosH1aVvBhSjSr1TgPt

Second piggy lives in a stick house. And it's the Hasegawa one.

It took me 43 hours and 4 minutes to finish, which makes it the longest build. The overall detail is well known, and quite ok. It's not really a block 60 airframe, but hey, nobody's perfect. The kit includes all the stuff You need for an advanced Viper, yet the cockpit and the upper main fuselage are from a B model. Kit goes together pretty good. There really isn't much bad to tell about this kit. The model could've had upgraded main landing gear. There is no full intake. That's probably it for me. Some would want to replace the landing gear bays, as they are quite bare. Oh, I'd put a single complaint, the ejection seats are too large. But that's easilly amended.

So why not brick house?  Good question. But the answer is in the next chapter.

AM-JKLV64yxVycI6A6EkCB_UxUH-MYwtgcwc9sx2

The third piggy lives in the stick house too. Well, perhaps with brick foundation.

Just to be clear, there are no additional points for the markings. Even if these are my favourite.

What can I say, I like how it turned out - the real pig of a kit by many, and the main reason behind the three little piggies analogy. I've heard so much bad stuff about this kit that I didn't want to build one untill I felt I was ready. It is significantly harder to build than Hasegawa. There are traps waiting for ignorant builders. There are hard parts to get right, there are suspicious elements in the instructions, which themselves don't really do much instructing, sometimes leading builders astray. I mean, what is the difference between the F-16C and F-16D nosewheel? Is there any? And the engine nozzle? Why would there be need for two? That's just weird, or I'm too ignorant to know.

All that is indeed challenging. But I don't feel there is anything average modeller has to fear. And if You like removing ejector pin marks, this is indeed a kit for You.

The surface details is heavy, but then it makes the wash stick better. The multitude of options is very nice, and You get a lot of spares, and there are a lot of different boxings of this kit. The biggest issues I have are the humongous attachment points of some parts and the two nose inserts which really fit bad.

And for all that, I managed to pull it of in whooping 36 hours and 22 minutes. That is pretty good time for all the fus this kit is supposed to be.

Now I see the real trouble with not building a Tamiya F-16. I had one, built it partially and then I withdrew from 1/48 for a long time. So I'll take everybody's word this one is 'worse' than Tamiya. But frankly, I don't 'feel' this kit is much worse than Hasegawa or much better. Frankly, I don't even feel either Hasegawa or Kinetic kit gets an edge over the other. In Kinetic there is more detail, there are additional, nice features, such as separate flaps. Better detailed nozzle, better cockpit oob. Hasegawa goes together easier while still having acceptable level of detail. The biggest difference is in cockpit and the intake. I've no idea if there is an aftermarked intake, but the cockpits are aplenty. And, for the most part, the Hasegawa kit is cheaper than Kinetic, even with resin cockpit.

So this means both kits - Hasegawa and Kinetic - get the stick house. There is indeed possibility, they will be blown away by the big bad wolf. Each of them can put up a decent fight, but victory is anything but certain.

AM-JKLWfW8TjTOIl3w5g8mk_d3pdgudW8W_GK4rb

Now for the last part of my verdict... would I build any of these kits again? Yes. All three of them. It just feels the Italeri kit is waste of time and money if I can get the Hasegawa kit for it's price, or anywhere near it. So will I build any of these again? For Italeri, probably not. For Hasegawa, I've one more in my stash, and it's not going anywhere. Kinetic will be built again, of that I'm certain. But first, I'll have to build that legendary Tamiya Viper.

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Thadeus
forgot the build time on the Kinetic kit.