Monogram 1/72 F-16XL correction article

3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

So the Monogram kit isnt a good representation of the XL?

Since it is the only kit available in 1/72 it is both the best and worst kit available in that scale.

If the inaccuracies outlined above don't bother you then it is fine I guess.  It is certainly better than any of the 1/32 offerings.

The Kinetic/Skunkworks kits are the best XL kits available in any scale, and the only 2-seater XL available OOB.

Yeah. I got one of the Monogram kits, I think Ive got a conversion from the Hasegawa kit for both single and two seat versions in the stash somewhere.

The F-16 was never the top of my build list so havent looked at it for years now. All I remember is picking them up from Japan and it cost a fair bit.

I believe the resin conversion sets ElectroSoldier mentioned for both the single and two-seat -XLs were from Lone Star in Japan.  Homemade conversions that included the fuselage/wings as one unit, and then other bits.  Was intended to be used with the Hasegawa kit:

http://lonestars.web.fc2.com/LSR7201.htm

He released sets for both aircraft, sold out of both, then re-released the single-seat set, and has now sold out of it.  I managed to miss out on all of the releases, so am also now in the camp of cheering for Kinetic to scale down their 1/48 kits.  Would love to have a two-seater or two.

Edited by 757flyer

You might have to cut the conformals and insert/build-up a plug to account for the stretch of the -XL, but I think it could work...  I had the same thought myself for a bombed-up What-If model, combined with an enlarged avionics spine.

Mike

Edited by 757flyer
23 hours ago, 757flyer said:

I believe the resin conversion sets ElectroSoldier mentioned for both the single and two-seat -XLs were from Lone Star in Japan.  Homemade conversions that included the fuselage/wings as one unit, and then other bits.  Was intended to be used with the Hasegawa kit:

http://lonestars.web.fc2.com/LSR7201.htm

He released sets for both aircraft, sold out of both, then re-released the single-seat set, and has now sold out of it.  I managed to miss out on all of the releases, so am also now in the camp of cheering for Kinetic to scale down their 1/48 kits.  Would love to have a two-seater or two.

Yeah thaey are the ones.

I bought them years ago after the F-16XL subject came up here on arc.

It just uses a couple of bits from the Hasegawa kit but otherwise its a full kit.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, Dutch said:

What about the LS 1/144 F-16XL? Anyone care to comment on its accuracy?

001.JPG.5cbc5ecfc0025838981cc24d75dd768e.JPG

I have one buried somewhere in my stash, haven’t looked at it in a long long (long) time...