Red Iron 1/35 Vostok

I'm just starting the Vostok with interior, and I'd like to show Gagarin in the capsule. Shapeways has a 1/35 Gagarin with ejection seat:

Yuri Gagarin Vostok Ejection Seat

Has anyone used this seat in the Red Iron Vostok? I'd hate to buy it and find out it doesn't fit properly. I tried contacting the designer via Shapeways several months ago to see if he makes just the Gagarin figure, but he did not respond.

Thanks!

Peter

It looks like you're gonna be the first to try this!   :thumbsup:

It you're willing to cut the seat off, I know it's a waste of dollars, but that's the solution. Or you may be very pleasantly surprised, and the entire assembly fits with just a little sanding ...

Pete

Yes, I thought about cutting the seat off, but I just can't bring myself to spend $38 plus shipping for just the figure. I can always add him later if I change my mind.

There's one other guy from the (former Yahoo) groups.io Space Modelers Group who is building it also. I've only started removing pieces from their pour stubs and test fitting, but so far I'm very pleased with the fit of the sharik quadrants and the fit of the interior shell into the sharik. The interior needed some thinning on the foot end to fit properly, but nothing out of the ordinary. The quality of the casting and level of detail are excellent also.

I've decided I need to add the New Ware Vostok launcher to my 1/144 rocket garden, so I'll start on that once I get it from New Ware. (That's why I can't afford the figure!)

Now if only Red Iron would release a Voskhod 2...

Peter

Just go and ask them on Facebook. They have a presence there, and they might like the idea. 

It's a great idea, and I'd love to find out so I can give it a go myself. 

But if both are at the correct scale and dimensions, it should fit basically. You may have to make some room inside the capsule. Go for it, be our ginea pig! 😉

I went ahead and ordered the Shapeways ejection seat, but unfortunately it's a fail. The entire seat is a much larger diameter than the kit's seat. It's so large that it won't fit through the hatch opening. Looking at it, it's apparent that the designer used Reheat Models' 120mm kit as a reference, which was made before there were reliable Vostok references, so it only bears a passing resemblance to the real seat.

(I wanted to attach photos, but I'm only allowed a total of 100kb of photos per post, so that's useless.)

The Shapeways seat is offered in 1/24 scale also, which probably fits the Revell Vostok.

Now I'll try removing Gagarin from the seat and see if he fits the kit's seat. It looks like he will. However, much of his helmet is combined with the headrest, so I'll have to fill that in. I've never worked with 3D parts before, so it will be interesting.

It's a very expensive lesson learned ☹️

Peter

Edited by petero

Here are comparison images of the white resin kit seat and the translucent Shapeways seat.

Kit seat side view:

qYFrhAo.jpg

Shapeways seat side view:

Wa0wUWC.jpg

Kit seat top view:

2IUTv05.jpg

Shapeways seat top view:

VlUoFWa.jpg

It does appear that the Shapeways seat is supposed to be 1/35, since the length fits into the cabin, and the cosmonaut looks like he'll fit into the kit's seat. I think it's just a case of the Shapeways designer using outdated information for the size and details of the seat.

Peter

Edited by petero
Finally got the photos to display properly!