To FOD or not to FOD?

I'm nearing the end of a build of GWH's MiG-29 9-12, and I'm soliciting opinions on whether or not to use FOD covers. I've got Quickboost covers for the intakes and exhausts, and the Eduard Brassin A-27 Archer missiles I'm using provide for covered or uncovered ends. I keep changing my mind on which way to go. Aesthetically, I think the plane looks more businesslike uncovered, but the covers add some splashes of color. I'm also thinking that if I go with the covers, I should also be covering the pitot tube, angle of attack sensors, and other pointy-outy things, and I don't really want to do that. I know that the GWH intake interiors are not terribly well detailed, but that doesn't bother me much because it's pretty hard to see inside them from any normal viewing angle. What do people think?

I would go with at least the intake and exhaust covers. On most aircraft at shut down we will throw on, at the least, the intake and exhaust covers. Now if we are storing the aircraft for an extended period of time that when we place all of the fod covers on. That's just my two cents and how we do it.

Dave Fassett 

It depends on the artistic statement you want to make. Once you add covers to the aircraft, it adds a story to it - it stops being instance of airplane and starts being airplane in a particular state (like, say, in a hanger awaiting its next flight).

Some people see them as a cop out for not doing intakes.  I very much disagree with that thought process and think they add a new skill level to the build, especially if they are hand made.  The splash of colour can add a lot to bland modern jets.  You can cover as much or as little as you like because at some stage the jet is partially covered/uncovered etc. Same goes for RBF streamers.  Don't overthink it.

I think it depends on what you are going for.   If you're making a diorama of a parked aircraft, then definitely do the FOD covers.   If you are just displaying the aircraft as it may be displayed in a museum (indoors), then they maybe better to leave them off.   That's my take on it.    

I don't have them on any of my models at the moment, but my models are also just showcasing the aircraft and nothing else... for the time being.  At some point, I would like to do a few full on dioramas, but, I don't have the space for that at the moment. 

In the end, the most important thing is what you want.  Nothing else matters.  If you like the FOD covers, then get the FOD covers!   

5 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

I think it depends on what you are going for.   If you're making a diorama of a parked aircraft, then definitely do the FOD covers.   If you are just displaying the aircraft as it may be displayed in a museum (indoors), then they maybe better to leave them off.   That's my take on it.    

I don't have them on any of my models at the moment, but my models are also just showcasing the aircraft and nothing else... for the time being.  At some point, I would like to do a few full on dioramas, but, I don't have the space for that at the moment. 

In the end, the most important thing is what you want.  Nothing else matters.  If you like the FOD covers, then get the FOD covers!   

Very helpful answer, B.R., thanks!  I've got the FOD covers all painted and ready to go, but I'm trapped squarely on the fence. One minute I decide I want to use them; five minutes later I think no. Right now I'm leaning toward not using them.

Yes, that's definitely a possibility. I could use something like Micro Liquitape, which is a reasonably strong yet temporary bond. However, I've made the decision not to have the missiles covered and have begun attaching the clear seeker heads to the Brassin A-27s, so that die is cast for better or worse.

You may even be able to get away with some bluetac. That's what I use to keep my canopies closed when they, ehh, are not open.  This may not work in some instances, but I suppose I've lucked out so far because it's completely out of sight on my models. 

I look at my finished model as if it were a snapshot of that plane on that day at that exact moment.  Canopy up or down, wheel chocks, fod covers in or out...it's up to you based on the story in your head that your expressing in the finished piece.  I create the scenario and that's the way I display it.