Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash.

Tragic.  It is interesting to hear so many recollections from folks tonight and how he positively impacted so many around him.  There’s a lot to be said for committing yourself wholeheartedly to be the best at something and the legacy it creates.  RIP Kobe.  

Steve 

8 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Sounds like VFR flight into IFR conditions.

'Githomeitis'!!

This affliction has taken far too many lives!!

News said this was Kobe's helicopter and I ASSUME the pilot was employed by Kobe as well???

Shoulda taken a Limo or Taxi!!

Sad.

Bo

3 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Is it just me or does it seem like private aircraft are falling out of the sky on a much higher rate than ever before? I mean there has been a lot just since the new year began.

It's just you.  GA is safer than it has ever been.  If you look at the statistics, in the past 20 years the frequency of GA aircraft accidents has decreased by 50%, and fatalities have decreased by nearly 70%.   That's pretty damn good.  

Doesn't take away from the tragedy, but it is noteworthy. 

May all of the victims rest easy. 

2 minutes ago, BaconRaygun said:

It's just you.  GA is safer than it has ever been.  If you look at the statistics, in the past 20 years the frequency of GA aircraft accidents has decreased by 50%, and fatalities have decreased by nearly 70%.   That's pretty damn good.  

Doesn't take away from the tragedy, but it is noteworthy. 

May all of the victims rest easy. 

Thanks. I should have made my initial statement more clearly as it should be obvious that it is safe than ever before. Maybe I could have clarified that perhaps private aviation aircraft involved in fatal accidents are getting more publicity than before?

I suppose you can argue that.  That's just a symptom of how connected we all are due to the prevalence of the internet.  Twenty years ago, I probably would not have heard about a private plane crash outside of my locale (unless there was a VIP involved, or there was something unique about the accident)... but these days, I'll hear about accidents all over the country right in my news feeds.  

It's all media spin.  They love to sensationalize things for the sake of selling a story.  Really, a sad state of affairs. 

Hard to tell at this point if it was controlled flight into terrain, or collision with wires, or mechanical failure. They were supposed to turn west when they got to the 101, but they kept going and in the final moments of the flight their vertical speed was something like -5000 fpm. 1400 feet of altitude in that area isn’t enough...

With the loss of Kobe and his 13 year old daughter, we also should remember the others onboard. One of the best base ball coaches was also there. Plus, I think he had a son with him. The whole thing is just traumatic!

Gary

Edited by ChesshireCat
Can't seem to spell my own name right!
8 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Hard to tell at this point if it was controlled flight into terrain, or collision with wires, or mechanical failure. They were supposed to turn west when they got to the 101, but they kept going and in the final moments of the flight their vertical speed was something like -5000 fpm. 1400 feet of altitude in that area isn’t enough...

Apparently somebody posted a video from a year ago that shows a helicopter losing its tail rotor when flying into a zip line. This did not seem to happen here. Two more enlightening videos:

18 hours ago, jabow said:

Thanks for update.   Mamba Sports Academy have an Instrument Landing System???? Doubt it.

Bo

From the latest blancolirio video I posted, it seems that the pilot opted for Special VFR instead of IFR. He then probably tried to turn away from the fog in an almost hover, which is very dangerous when disoriented. Had it been IFR, they would very likely have been fine, but they were too low for IFR tracking anyway.

Update: Confirmation of Special VFR here.

Edited by germansnowman
4 hours ago, germansnowman said:

From the latest blancolirio video I posted, it seems that the pilot opted for Special VFR instead of IFR. He then probably tried to turn away from the fog in an almost hover, which is very dangerous when disoriented. Had it been IFR, they would very likely have been fine, but they were too low for IFR tracking anyway.

Update: Confirmation of Special VFR here.

Wreakage doesn't appear to be an impact from near hover.

I DO have an Rotorcraft IFR Rating, not used in MANY years.  Still need a way to get on the ground at destination. Flew Special VFR all the time in Vietnam but always had ground in sight.

Pilot needs to say No!! Nearly always gets down to Pilot Error. My first Fixed Wing Instructor, his Family and another Family, in separate aircraft, all perished caused by 'Githomeitis'!! That stuck with me all these years!!  Better to be on the Ground, wishing you were Flying; than, Flying, wishing you were on the Ground.

Sad.

Bo

4 minutes ago, jabow said:

Wreakage doesn't appear to be an impact from near hover.

You are right, other sources (including the NPR link I shared) do say that the helicopter was travelling at high speed just before impact. What I was referring to was the eyewitness account. I think they can both be right: A slow, disoriented hover, followed by an acceleration (trying to get up out of the fog). We shall see what the NTSB finds.

Couldn’t agree more on the rest of what you said. Sorry to hear about your instructor and the other victims. Respect to your experience – I am just wishing of flying … (+ some R/C helicopter flying)

Last I saw, it descended at 4000 FPM and 184 knots into the ground.

My sense is that GA is getting safer.  When I got to Denver Air Route Traffic Control Center in 1995 as a meteorologist, we lost a couple dozen GAs a year due to the mountains, weather, etc.  Not nearly so bad now.