Flying Leathernecks Decals FL48008 Hornets Swarm in Desert Storm

New sheet coming in March.

All seven F/A-18 squadrons deployed in support of Operation Desert Storm, with a total of 15 options. 5.5 x 8.5 inch sheet with a 5.5 x 3.75 inch addendum.

With the assistance of :

MajGen Kevin "Wolfy" Iiams, CG 3rd MAW (flew with VMFA-451)

LtCol Jay "Guinness" Stout USMC Ret. (451)

LtCol Vic "Clam" Simpson USMC Ret. (232 CO)

LtCol Juergen "Baron" Lukas USMC Ret. (314)

LtCol Joe "Crip" Riley USMC Ret. (212)

Maj Mike "Evil Frog" Pedersen USMC Ret. (121 WSO)

Matt Voss (212)

Randall Hinkley (232)

Todd Jurena (232)

Joe Marshall (121)

David F Brown

Jakub Cikhart

John Colvin

Christopher Bienvenu

Personal notes and photos

FL48008-Hornets-ODS.jpg

FL48008B.jpg

FL48008-Hornet-Profiles.jpg

Edited by Dave Roof

Small update. The wife of LtCol Dudley (451 CO) and inspiration behind the 'Dirty Dar' nose art, contacted me through Facebook. She and the LtCol are pulling all of their photos and sending them over. Once they're received, the Dirty Dar nose art, BuNo, modex and LtCol Dudley's name will be added to the addendum sheet.

8 minutes ago, f5guy said:

Nice! Any plans for a 72nd scale version Dave? Fred K.

Yes, it's being laid out now and will more than likely have the Intruders and Prowlers from VMA(AW)'s 224, 533 and VMAQ-2 included.

11 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Yes, it's being laid out now and will more than likely have the Intruders and Prowlers from VMA(AW)'s 224, 533 and VMAQ-2 included.

Sign me up ;0) Thanks, Fred.

1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

Good to know it's nearly there. I have been looking forward to this one.

One of the great things about FLD 48-009 is the ordnance chart.

I hope that something similar will be in FLD 48-008.

Cheers, Stefan.

There will be as there were some really nice and interesting ordnance configurations flown out of Sheik Isa. As I worked in the bomb dump actually assembling the ordnance, I've always known "what" was dropped, I just never really knew "who" dropped what and "how" the ordnance was configured on all of the jets. While I was fortunate to get to the flight line a few times and take some photos, there was a lot I missed. Facebook has been a literal gold mine of information and several Ordnance Marines from the various squadrons have reached out and provided the needed information.

10 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There will be as there were some really nice and interesting ordnance configurations flown out of Sheik Isa. As I worked in the bomb dump actually assembling the ordnance, I've always known "what" was dropped, I just never really knew "who" dropped what and "how" the ordnance was configured on all of the jets. While I was fortunate to get to the flight line a few times and take some photos, there was a lot I missed. Facebook has been a literal gold mine of information and several Ordnance Marines from the various squadrons have reached out and provided the needed information.

Cool! That is going to be very interesting.

Something that I really appreciate about FLD 48-009 also is that page that gives the info about the type of seat, GPS dome present or not, stiffening plates on the port side of the tails or not, etc... for each decal option. And the list of recommended ordnance items.

I suspect that the DS Hornets were a bit more uniform, but such a page would still be a nice touch.

I suppose that the VMFA(AW)-121 Delta's were already the real attack Delta's? So, the Wolfpack set would once again be very desirable?

Cheers, Stefan.