1/200 C-130s: What's out there?

Hi all,

One of the many projects I've got going currently is a set of five Hasegawa 1/200 C-130s - all have started life as C-130H kits, but I'm planning on converting/modifying them to create several different variants, including an MC-130H, KC-130T, and possibly L-100-30. As such, I've got a lot of scratch building ahead of me, but wanted to check to make sure I'm not missing something. From what I can tell, there's basically nothing out there by way of aftermarket, short of some six- and eight-bladed props available on shapeways (which have me seriously tempted...), and decals aren't much easier.

Currently what I'm aware of is:

Kit decals (Hasegawa has released several different variants of this kit over the years, but most seem pretty difficult to find for a reasonable price, if at all)

Draw Decals have options for a few ANG E and H models, Iraqi AF, and a few L-100 variants (I've also contacted Greg about doing some custom printing for me, if I can't find what I need elsewhere)

Oldmodels has decals for RNZAF Herks

Daco Products has decals for Belgian Herks

CanMilAir used to do some RCAF options, but are no longer in the decal business

V1 Decals makes sets for RCAF CC-130Js

Anything out there I'm missing?

I've kind of fallen in love with these little kits, as they seem much more accurate shape- and detail-wise as compared to the minicraft 1/144 offerings (which is a shame, since minicraft has covered a lot more versions and variants, and decals/aftermarket are much more plentiful). The C-130 has worn so many hats and colors over the years that it seems odd to me that there isn't more out there.

Given the fact that I'll be scratchbuilding so much several times over, I'm planning on doing some masters and resin casting, and if all goes well, I might consider making sets available for anyone who might be interested. This would include things like a basic cockpit and maybe cargo bay, some of the bigger external lumps (MC-H radome and LAIRCM bumps, for example). That still leaves the question of the decals, though...

40806833903_472900f77f_c.jpgMC-H Flight by Josh Kaiser, on Flickr

As to decals:  Try 26Decals in the UK.  He may scale his civil and military Herk artwork down to 1/200.  I have several of his L-100-20/30 artwork and a Canadian CC-130E in 1/144 scale.

As to extra parts, try 3-D print outfits like Shapeways.  I am pretty sure LAIRCMs (or DIRCMs) have been done already in various scales.  MC-130 parts too.  I was able to purchase some 1:144 IFR pods for my Minicraft KC-130H/T models.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch