Looking For: 1/72 1960s/70s Airfield Service Vehicles for Diorama

Looking For: 1/72 1960s/70s USAF airfield service vehicles for a diorama of B-52G / KC-135A on alert. I already have several of the Hasegawa airfield sets with GPUs, ammo carts, and 1977 Chevy step van, but I would prefer a refueler truck, crash fire rescue truck (pre-P-19 ARFF), Security Police car or truck and a Dodge Power Wagon crew cab for the alert crew.  Also figures: sentries, mechanics and pilots running.  Are there any known kits and sources?  Thanks. R/ Dutch

1971_Minot_Christmas_Tree.JPG.1b5775391de016fff134ba6435515ecf.JPGb-52_alert.jpg.99c3a761b7504e4cd213118e1e839954.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@SinisterVampire319,

You may be in luck!  Revell issued a few truck kits in 1/48 scale during the 1950s. 

#1430 1956 Ford F-100 & Police Motorcycle

#1404 1955 Chevy 2-ton Stake Truck

#1420 1950s White 3000 COE Gas Truck

#H-1821 1961 Kenworth W900 & Honest John Missile  [possible 1/54 scale]

With the demise of Revell (or should I say HobbyCo?) those early kit molds were purchased by Atlantis and are being re-issued.  They still do not have clear parts for windows, but a friend talked to the Atlantis rep during the 2019 IPMS Nats in Chattanooga last summer, and Atlantis may just cut a new steel mold for all clear sprue for all the truck kits.

I have ordered all of these kits from evilBay recently, for moderate prices.  I plan on using them with a Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark missile to depict a scene from the 702nd Strategic Missile Wing at Presque Isle AFB, Maine circa 1960-61.  I will have to create my own small U.S. AIR FORCE and serial number decals for the doors.  I guess that the White gas truck & Snark missile trailer will be yellow with black lettering, and the Chevy & Ford will be Air Force blue with white lettering.  I may scratch a Security Police sign & red bubble beacon for the F-100.  Not sure which color to paint the Kenworth W900 prime mover for the missile trailer.  I am still looking for photos.

K/r,

Dutch

• 3 months later...

Try Shapeways.com - Specifically "Madaboutcars"  he has several 1960s and 1970s vehicles that can be converted into AF ARFF Apparatus and Air Police/Security Police vehicles, like the 1966 Dodge Powerwagon.  I've made 10 of these for such layouts.  Watch out though, Shapeways is irrationally and criminally expensive.  Until someone comes along to challenge their prices we just have to suck it in, unless you complain like I do.  You can use the Gathering of Eagles movie for some great reference material and there are select images available on the web.  The Aviation Megastore has O-10 and P-13 vehicles available in 1/72 scale.

There's a website for Air Force Fire equipment: http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/af.html that has lots of references.

Oh, you can combine the Dodge Crew Cab Powerwagon with a bed cover (also found on Shapeways) and if you make your own decals you can make it look like a real alert vehicle.  Mock flashing lights can be obtained from Detail Associates #2901 (round top) and #2902 (flat top) but you will have to stain them with clear red, about 2 coats and paint the bases silver or red if your photos show them that way.  Hannants of England also have quite a bit of GSE like B-4 and B-5 maintenance stands made of etched metal, all in 1/72 scale, and they have generators and other stuff too.  It's popular so there are a lot of items seemingly perpetually out of stock.  There are a lot of scratch-building references for USAF GSE on the web, takes time to find and build.  Some names you may need to know for the Crash Fire Rescue Vehicles: Marmon-Harrington; American General; American La France; and Ward La France; also White Cardox (O-6).

I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, Dutch said:

Looking For: 1/72 1960s/70s USAF airfield service vehicles for a diorama of B-52G / KC-135A on alert. I already have several of the Hasegawa airfield sets with GPUs, ammo carts, and 1977 Chevy step van, but I would prefer a refueler truck, crash fire rescue truck (pre-P-19 ARFF), Security Police car or truck and a Dodge Power Wagon crew cab for the alert crew.  Also figures: sentries, mechanics and pilots running.  Are there any known kits and sources?  Thanks. R/ Dutch

1971_Minot_Christmas_Tree.JPG.1b5775391de016fff134ba6435515ecf.JPGb-52_alert.jpg.99c3a761b7504e4cd213118e1e839954.jpg

I'm also looking for 1/72 scale GSE and AGE equipment.  Hannant's, Shapeways, and F-4 Models as well as AIM and MilMod has some you might be interested in.  I'm looking for the B-1 maintenance stand; P-2 Crash Fire Rescue; and O-11A/B Crash Fire Trucks, and all manner of other USAF Vehicles from the 1960's/70's.  I worked with one of the Shapeways folks to produce the IH Metro Van.  You can find it on Shapeways (3-versions) to paint as FMS, OMS, AMS, and MMS vans from the early 1960 (see Gathering of Eagles for references.  Please let me know if you find other vehicles.  Oh, also in Shapeways you can find Dodge Power Wagons that can be painted as Air Police, Alert, and maintenance vehicles.

• 7 months later...

I just received an order from Shapeways that included a couple of 1:144 scale USAF airfield fire trucks: O-11B & P-19.  I think these are also available in 1:72 scale.  They are hollow 3D printed in one piece, but the surface detail is excellent.  No windows, so I will have to paint them chrome silver. Also have to print my own decals for these, unless someone knows a source.