ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Looking For: 1/72 1960s/70s Airfield Service Vehicles for Diorama

Looking For: 1/72 1960s/70s USAF airfield service vehicles for a diorama of B-52G / KC-135A on alert. I already have several of the Hasegawa airfield sets with GPUs, ammo carts, and 1977 Chevy step van, but I would prefer a refueler truck, crash fire rescue truck (pre-P-19 ARFF), Security Police car or truck and a Dodge Power Wagon crew cab for the alert crew.  Also figures: sentries, mechanics and pilots running.  Are there any known kits and sources?  Thanks. R/ Dutch

1971_Minot_Christmas_Tree.JPG.1b5775391de016fff134ba6435515ecf.JPGb-52_alert.jpg.99c3a761b7504e4cd213118e1e839954.jpg

Edited by Dutch

I have been hoping for years for equipment in 1/48. With no luck. Especially the Ford COE refuelers used back then.
Also P-2, P-4 crash trucks. Dodge pick up trucks, Coleman tugs, etc. 

@SinisterVampire319,

You may be in luck!  Revell issued a few truck kits in 1/48 scale during the 1950s. 

#1430 1956 Ford F-100 & Police Motorcycle

#1404 1955 Chevy 2-ton Stake Truck

#1420 1950s White 3000 COE Gas Truck

#H-1821 1961 Kenworth W900 & Honest John Missile  [possible 1/54 scale]

With the demise of Revell (or should I say HobbyCo?) those early kit molds were purchased by Atlantis and are being re-issued.  They still do not have clear parts for windows, but a friend talked to the Atlantis rep during the 2019 IPMS Nats in Chattanooga last summer, and Atlantis may just cut a new steel mold for all clear sprue for all the truck kits.

I have ordered all of these kits from evilBay recently, for moderate prices.  I plan on using them with a Lindberg 1/48 SM-62 Snark missile to depict a scene from the 702nd Strategic Missile Wing at Presque Isle AFB, Maine circa 1960-61.  I will have to create my own small U.S. AIR FORCE and serial number decals for the doors.  I guess that the White gas truck & Snark missile trailer will be yellow with black lettering, and the Chevy & Ford will be Air Force blue with white lettering.  I may scratch a Security Police sign & red bubble beacon for the F-100.  Not sure which color to paint the Kenworth W900 prime mover for the missile trailer.  I am still looking for photos.

K/r,

Dutch