New Tool SR-71......

4 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

:rolleyes: Revell and 1/48; I wouldn't hold my breath. For that matter, you'd better wait for Hypersonic Models' and/or the Turkish manufacturer, uhm... TanModel?

I doubt Tan Model would do any favor on this bird, if judging by their rf-84f thunder flash is any indication.  That model left a lot to be desired.

4 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

:rolleyes: Revell and 1/48; I wouldn't hold my breath. For that matter, you'd better wait for Hypersonic Models' and/or the Turkish manufacturer, uhm... TanModel?

I hope Jeffrey (Hypersonic) doesn't give up on his kit development. To often we've seen a large model company snatch away a subject being worked on by a smaller one. No matter how accurate the Revell one might be, I would place my bets on Hypersonic. Jeffrey's been researching the airframe for a long time and knows it better than most.

1 hour ago, dehowie said:

Staggeringly good news as long as the team who did the 32nd F-18E dont touch it.

ouch, didn't think of that.  Let's hope for the team that gave us the F-15E, C-17, An-124 or An-225

10 hours ago, Salineated Michigander said:

I doubt Tan Model would do any favor on this bird, if judging by their rf-84f thunder flash is any indication.  That model left a lot to be desired.

Besides, Tan Model haven't even started on the CAD development of their promised kit - they just have it listed as a future release, but when it's only a question mark.

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

I hope Jeffrey (Hypersonic) doesn't give up on his kit development. To often we've seen a large model company snatch away a subject being worked on by a smaller one. No matter how accurate the Revell one might be, I would place my bets on Hypersonic. Jeffrey's been researching the airframe for a long time and knows it better than most.

My only hope as well, Mark. What I've seen so far regarding Jeffrey's proposed kit is really impressive. The noses alone look spot on. I'm looking forward for this releasement.

I'm quite interested. I'll wait and see what the kit looks like and what the cost is before judging. A new 1/48 Blackbird even slightly better then the Italeri kit would be welcome by me. And yes, lets hope whomever was responsible for Revell's 1/32 Super Hornet had nothing to do with this kit!

Happy modeling!

9 hours ago, flybywire said:

it's the only box there that doesn't indicate the scale.....

Is a kit/stock number listed anywhere?  Often those numbers can be an indicator of the scale.

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

There are three possibilities....

1. Revell doesn't/didn't even know about Hypersonic's planned kit and/or may have had this in work for years.

2. Revell has proven to be just as capable of researching a subject and releasing it in plastic (the F-15E as just one example).

3. What if Revell's kit IS Jeffrey's?

17 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Does Revell offer any Level 5 kits in 1:72?  That it's a Level 5 makes me think it'll be 1:48, or wallet forbid, 1:32.

It's already been confirmed as being 1/48 scale. 

That's very exciting news if it's of the same level as most of their newer releases!  I'm excited about the Hypersonic kit, but progress seems rather slow at the moment.  Given hints of their current work, I expect it'll be a better kit if/when released.  But Revell with a banner is pretty sure fire thing, even if a year away. 

Jjst hope the team that put that debacle of a 32nd Hornet stay well and truly away from the beloved Blackbird.

Hypersonics should be the ultimate rendition of the SR-71 but until its in the post on the way nothing is certain so we will wait and see if Revells A team is on this.

Hopefully we finally get an accurate SR-71...please...

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There are three possibilities....

1. Revell doesn't/didn't even know about Hypersonic's planned kit and/or may have had this in work for years.

2. Revell has proven to be just as capable of researching a subject and releasing it in plastic (the F-15E as just one example).

3. What if Revell's kit IS Jeffrey's?

You're probably right about Revell not knowing about Hypersonic's planned kit. As far as Revell capabilities, I agree there too, though the exact opposite is just as possible. Revell has released some losers and I'm not talking about old kits, but newer kits like the 1/32 F-18E.

As far as the Revell kit being Jeffrey's, now wouldn't THAT be a surprise, though for some reason I doubt it. :dontknow: