New Tool SR-71......

• 2 weeks later...

Well if thats a photo of the completed kit its already looking not bad.

They seem to have got the top curves on the two canopies correct which gives hope for a correctly shaped upper fuse which also means it should make the dimensions ie width of the chine correct making it only the second kit to get it close to right(Italeri got pretty close).

Hopefully Revell had the A team deployed for this one and redeployed the guys who did the F-18E to Northern Alaska on polar bear patrol.

Visually its not looking bad fingers remain crossed and hopes high.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, Andreas Beck said:

yes, it WAS. (container departure delays from China are now up to 12 weeks, I was said). Will let you know more if I get reliable information.

So, ETA is now December or January?  Okay, I'll stock up the Xmas drinks caddy soon and buy my Revell in the New Year.

Tony 

On 1/31/2020 at 7:07 AM, polybebber said:

SR-71 is not my cup of tea, but I share your sentiments regarding Hypersonic products. I've bought and used quite a

few sets from him and they outclass a lot of other AM manufacturer's stuff. So I guess his SR-71will be the icing on

the cake.

Plus, he creates AM stuff the mainstream guys will not touch like his A-3 engines and canopies...and hopefully, the main gear well. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

Wow, it is a huge improvement over the old Testors kit, indeed. The whole forward fuselage and windshield looks the part. Still, I've got this hunch that the one by Hypersonic Models/GasPatch is going to be even better, huh, @JeffreyK?

On 10/13/2021 at 6:55 AM, Andreas Beck said:

yes, it WAS. (container departure delays from China are now up to 12 weeks, I was said). Will let you know more if I get reliable information.

Okay, Andreas. Thank you very much for the info!

On 10/13/2021 at 9:08 AM, Dave Williams said:

Is October over yet?  Still 2 1/2 weeks left where I live.

Guilty as charge, Dave. I'm such an anxious person, to me October means the 30th of September at 23:59:59.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 3 weeks later...

One of the biggest disappointments ... level 5 ?!  LOL

I was so happy when heard new tooled 1/48 Blackbird release , bcs its best looking airplane ever built , IMHO tho.

And then I saw this no details,no rivets,no weelbay kit for I assume ,kids... in 1/48 scale ?!   Well done Italeri ,really well done...

If someone think I'm a bit harsh , pls look at my 1/72 SR-71 build (it should look at least something like that in that scale) and you may understand my disappointment.

Edited by Woody_

I was so hoping for a super detailed Blackbird, when I heard about this 1/48 scale plane.  I've gotten so spoiled with the fantastic molding and surface details that are on all the new Tamiya and Eduard planes, and was kind of expecting something similar for this SR-71.  I'm no expert on the Blackbird, and I don't know what the surface details should look like, but from the photos of a built kit, I have to admit to being disappointed.  Maybe I'll feel differently after some people get the kit in hand and build it, but it won't be so terrible if it is not what I was hoping for, as it will save me the price of the kit and aftermarket stuff.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:11 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Wow, it is a huge improvement over the old Testors kit, indeed. The whole forward fuselage and windshield looks the part. Still, I've got this hunch that the one by Hypersonic Models/GasPatch is going to be even better, huh, @JeffreyK?

Okay, Andreas. Thank you very much for the info!

Guilty as charge, Dave. I'm such an anxious person, to me October means the 30th of September at 23:59:59.

Cheers,

Gwen

On 11/7/2021 at 4:54 AM, Woody_ said:

I was so happy when heard new tooled 1/48 Blackbird release , bcs its best looking airplane ever built , IMHO tho.

And then I saw this no details,no rivets,no weelbay kit for I assume ,kids... in 1/48 scale ?!   Well done Italeri ,really well done...

If someone think I'm a bit harsh , pls look at my 1/72 SR-71 build (it should look at least something like that in that scale) and you may understand my disappointment.

Your calls shall be answered, but it'll take some more time....

J

On 11/6/2021 at 3:54 PM, Woody_ said:

I gather you have never seen the real thing in the flesh. Just a really smooth and slick skin. I thought the afterburner cans (?) left something to be desired, and the cockpit is somewhat bland looking. Yet you won't see much of anything inside. 

gary

4 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I gather you have never seen the real thing in the flesh. Just a really smooth and slick skin. I thought the afterburner cans (?) left something to be desired, and the cockpit is somewhat bland looking. Yet you won't see much of anything inside. 

gary

Smooth and slick ?! 

Its full of rivets,as you can see :

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.247570570236f2f92365c26de2076470.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dustiepal said:

I question whether the decals are actually printed by Cartograf as the BM review says.  All the decal sheet said is “Printed in Italy”.  Cartograf isn’t the only decal printer in Italy, and decals done by them usually have their name on the sheets.