Best Aftermarket Resin/PE for 1/48 Tamiya F-16?

Hi Guys,

I just got my second 1/48 Tamiya F-16C/N Aggressor/Adversary 61106, and I'd like opinions on the best aftermarket 'stuff' for it.  I plan to do the first one as an F-16C Block 32, the Nellis AFB green/tan/brown scheme, and the second one probably a 'line' aircraft, will need aftermarket decals for a standard low viz F-16, whatever I can make out of this kit, in case the version makes a difference about what I should get aftermarket-wise.  The cockpit looks pretty weak from the instructions, so I'm guessing I'll need at the VERY least replacement ejection seats, and any other parts of the cockpit that would really dress up both of the planes I'm planning to build, maybe Eduard prepainted instrument panels, or Yahu painted resin, if that exists for this jet.  Plus anything else, like wheel wells, landing gear, wheels/tires, and just any other parts that would really dress up either of the jets I'm talking about.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have for me!

IMHO the Tamiya F-16 cockpit is not that weak at all and is actually more accurate than at least one of the resin cockpits (Aires I think) purportedly designed for it. Sierra Hotel makes really nice resin seats, and the Eduard PE cockpit set is useful for the central console of the IP.

6 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi Guys,

I just got my second 1/48 Tamiya F-16C/N Aggressor/Adversary 61106, and I'd like opinions on the best aftermarket 'stuff' for it.  I plan to do the first one as an F-16C Block 32, the Nellis AFB green/tan/brown scheme, and the second one probably a 'line' aircraft, will need aftermarket decals for a standard low viz F-16, whatever I can make out of this kit, in case the version makes a difference about what I should get aftermarket-wise.  The cockpit looks pretty weak from the instructions, so I'm guessing I'll need at the VERY least replacement ejection seats, and any other parts of the cockpit that would really dress up both of the planes I'm planning to build, maybe Eduard prepainted instrument panels, or Yahu painted resin, if that exists for this jet.  Plus anything else, like wheel wells, landing gear, wheels/tires, and just any other parts that would really dress up either of the jets I'm talking about.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have for me!

Having done used an Aires cockpit and the kit cockpit with Eduard PE (the zoom ones) and their resin ejection seat one a couple builds. I would recommend using the later combo than the former Aires set.  First off it’s a pain to get it to fit and took way to much time and effort to paint it up and have it look good.  I was much much happier With the Eduard PE set and resin swag. They were both easy to use and I feel like it made the cockpit look more busy. 

As with the wheels I would also recommend Eduard set. Both early and late wheels sets look the part and are very well done. Also they are a direct replacement for the kit wheels so no need for modifications to get them to fit. 

For the exhaust I would use Aires for both the GE or PW powered jets. I heard there was problems with the Eduard sets not being accurate. 

for aftermarket decals I would use either speed hunter graphics or bullseye model aviation decals.  You can find both at sprue brothers. 

Two more things I would recommend using is a metal pitot tubes/ AOA sensor set by hobby decal or the Tamiya ones. Also some “scab plates” by cross delta, flying leathernecks or the ones that come with the Tamiya pitot tube/AOA set. 

Edited by achterkirch

This is my recipe for my F-16CJ:

Quickboost F-16 resin seat

Master metal pitot tube+AOA

Master metal F-16 discharger

Reskit resin tires

KA Model 3D print nozzle

Eduard pre-cut masking

Above items will enhance your F-16 most significantly but not ruin the joy of building, or even increase the pleasure to enjou the kit more.

Resin gear bay etc. is not really necessary, since you don't have much chance to look at them vs the time & effort you invest to install them.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, there are a lot of good and desirabled resin aftermarkets for Tamiya's F-16:

•  Aires cockpit for Aggressor 4449
  •  Aires wheel bays 4370
  •  Aires exhaust nozzle proper for Block 25/32/42/52 4387
  •  Wheeliant wheels for Block 50/52 148009
  •  Master pitot &AOAs + static dischargers 72-008 + 48-112
  •  Eduards PEs + masks for Aggressor BIG49208
  •  better masks from Eduard: TFace EX620
  • Eduard airbrakes 648039 and many, many more...

Of course also there is a bunch of beautiful bombs, missiles, rockets, pods and ect. from Eduard and WolfPack always looking good under the wings.

For the wheel wells and intakes I went with the original kit parts and added detail with sprue bits and wire as needed. My luck with the resin parts in terms of fit etc were less than desired. Maybe it was just me, but I felt plastic gear bay/intakes gave better results with much better fit and stability. 

My 2 cents. 

Konbini

• 3 years later...

I’ve ruined two Tamiya F-16C kits trying to get the Aires wheel wells to fit into them.  They are simply too small to fit into the opening.  I will never buy another Aires product again since he told me in Phoenix in 2018, when I asked if he ever tried to use his products, that, “I don’t care if they don’t fit, because 99% of them will never be used.”  Never another penny of my money.

Kazan Model Dynamics has just done some **amazing** F-16 3D printed wheel wells and gear for the Tamiya kit that blow Aires out of the water.