Hi all!

I am normally an aircraft modeler, but recently I started building Revell's 1/144 Fletcher Class Destroyer. It is a daunting project for me but I am making headway.

What I like about the build is the size. My fat fingers need all the help I can get. 

My question is, I want to try and build another ship but want to go with either 1/350 or 1/700. I would like to try one of the newer or modern US Navy destroyers, such as the USS Cole, or another Arleigh Burke Class ship.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kit? 1/350 seems a bit more relevant for the size I'm looking for but how complicated are they? Should I start with a 1/700? The 1/144 Fletcher is a bit daunting but maybe the experience will lend it self well to a smaller one?

Thanks!
Scott

Revell did offer a couple of other 1:144th scale ship model kits including a pair of German Navy Fast Attack Missile boats armed with guns and missiles.  Being the same scale as your Fletcher might be useful for you in gaining some additional experience with building in that scale and the kit prices was not unreasonable last time I purchased one.  The two versions based on the same hull design are the Albatross Class Type 143 and the Gepard Class Type 143A.  Aside from some slight differences in the superstructure the main visual differences are the Albatross class is armed with two 76mm guns (fore and aft) and four Exocet anti-ship missiles while the Gepard class is armed with one 76mm gun, four Exocet anti-ship missiles, and a RAM CIWS system at the stern. 

Additional information on both kits can be found at the following ScaleMates.com links:

Revell (05148) 1:144th scale Fast Attack Craft Albatros Class 143

Revell (05005) 1:144th scale Schnellboot Fast Attack Boat Gepard-Klasse 143 A

Sticking with the one scale gives you the advantage of realizing what works and what fails when it comes to small details and painting of the subject. 

My own interest in the Revell Type 143/143A kits was for the details as I wanted to scale up the old (very old) Revell USS Defiance kit which is in one of those odd box scales (1:130[ish]) and being close enough to 1:144th it would be an easy "make over" of the old Revell kit.  I wanted a modern 76mm Mk75 OtoMelera at the bow and stern for one version and for the second I am hoping to put the RAM CIWS system at the stern.  I did manage to find some 3D printed 1:144th scale Harpoon launch tubes at Shapeways but finding a logical spot on the USS Defiance hull for the Harpoon tubes has been a challenge. 

Just wish I could find some decent twin-fifty mounts for the Defiance that have close to scale barrels. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dipping my toes a bit into ship building as well and I am currently working on the Trumpeter 1/350 scale U.S.S. Texas. I think it's a great kit for someone new to the field. It's loaded with detail and fits really well with only a few little kinks here and there. It also comes with 4 sheets of photoetch that covers pretty much most of the main things you'd want to buy aftermarket anyway so it's a good bang for your buck model. I think the Texas is harder to find, but it was also boxed as the New York with slight differences and is equally a nice kit. An example of the photoetch details. Really nice.

midship catapult.jpg

Edited by niart17
27 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I haven't opened my kit, do the instructions mention a D-Day configuration?

I think it's very close to D-Day as I understand it, but you'd have to take off the catapult and make some plane carriages for mounting beside the turret. And I think some of the structure on the main mast is slightly different maybe...I'm not completely up to all of the differences though.

I appreciate the feedback. I always like hearing from anyone with the experience.

Here is a pic of my USS Chevalier in 1/144 (Revell).

Still a work in process. Need to add some PE railings and the rigging. (Ugh!)

Chevy-1.jpg

Edited by Scott S.
On 2/11/2020 at 9:56 AM, niart17 said:

I've been dipping my toes a bit into ship building as well and I am currently working on the Trumpeter 1/350 scale U.S.S. Texas. I think it's a great kit for someone new to the field. It's loaded with detail and fits really well with only a few little kinks here and there. It also comes with 4 sheets of photoetch that covers pretty much most of the main things you'd want to buy aftermarket anyway so it's a good bang for your buck model. I think the Texas is harder to find, but it was also boxed as the New York with slight differences and is equally a nice kit. An example of the photoetch details. Really nice.

midship catapult.jpg

Nice build!!