Chrome Decals - When to Apply? (ala Tamiya P-38)

I was interested in hearing thoughts on when to apply chrome decals such as in Tamiya's P-38 with the mirrors on the nacelles used to check the gear position?  The flat coat will negate the mirror effect quite a bit, making an argument to apply them after the final flat coat.  But then won't adhere well and any trace clear carrier film will silver making an argument to apply them with the rest of the decals.

Currently, I am thinking to apply them with all the decals, flat coat, and once done with the final flat brush pain future or similar over them.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

You could mask off the decaled area using a punch to get the right, or approximately right, size. Problem is that the mask might pull up the decal when removed.

Another idea is to apply the decal after the flat coat by using a very small drop of Future (or whatever it's called these days) underneath the decal. As the Future dries, it will pull down the decal and adhere snugly to the surface. The tricky part is not using too much Future so that you don't have a gloss area surrounding the decal.

Or a combination of both of the above. Use Future to apply the decal, then mask it and apply your flat coat after the Future has dried completely. Once the Future is completely set, it will act like glue, holding the decal onto the surface of the model quite securely.

Edited by Mstor

This may depend on what kind of access you have to the mirror site.

I would paint and the decal the model in your usual sequence. Then in the mirror site(s) brush paint it black and when dry brush paint a drop of Future (or the like). Then,  once the gloss is thoroughly dry, use a Molotow Liquid Chrome marker/pen to fill it in. They come in various sizes. I would get the smallest. Mine is 1mm. Practice on a piece of scrap plastic first. I did this on the mirrors of a 1/24 racing car and they came out very nice.

HTH

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
20 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Can you put it in place and then mask with a liquid masking film? Or will pulling off the film also take the decal along with it?

Some masking fluids can be a bit*h to get off after they have set. That's why I recommended using Future to attach the decal as it will act like a glue to hold the decal in place against any masking.

I tried this future technique and I did not find it to work too well.  At least not with Eduard or Begemot decals.  

OP, you have options.   You can mask off those areas before the dull coat, then remove the masks and add those decals.  You can then leave them or gloss over with some future.  These depict mirrors... so having gloss over that decal will be a good thing.  Just gotta be careful to stay within the lines.  

Or, you can do your dull coat, and then gloss those areas with future, and do the decal after it cures.  I guess this may be easier since you dont have to mask anything. 

Or... just use the Molotow pen.  My expectations were pretty low, despite what the internet was saying... but I was pleasantly surprised. These things work really well!  Well worth the $10 investment. 

Edited by BaconRaygun