The wife is pregnant! On her fourth week already...

Bred during our two-week stay at Bora-Bora. Still uncertain of what the gender is going to be, I've begun thinking of different female/male names for the offspring. 

This is our first born one. I thought of several possibilities.

If female: Styrene, Resin, Sawdust, Tape, Wingspan, Sanding, Cellophane, Tab, Epoxi, Syringe, Putty, Pledge, Scissor, Vacu-form, Surfacer, Isopropil, Placard, Stick, Tamigawa, Finish and Layer. 

If male: Alloy, Photoetch, Cyanoacrylate, Counterweight, Decal, Ejector, Hasegawa, Aftermarket, Kit, Rivet, Brass, Novus, Sprue, Hypersonic, Warthog, Mek, Undershot, Mirage, Hobby and Extra Thin.  

Of course, the wife doesn't agree on the names I want.

What names would you suggest?

Congratulations!!

I'm thinking a different direction, instead of name the child after aircraft, why not name he/she after a famous person in aviation.

Such as;

Gregory for Greg Boyington

Robin for Robin Olds

Edward for Ed Heinemann

Jacqueline for Jacqueline Cochran

Amelia for Amelia Earhart

John for John Bolt

Mine was easy.  “Nick” flows through the generations on my dads side.  We “russionized” it given his birth country.

And no I’m not suggesting “Nick” but you get the idea.  Look to your ancestors for inspiration.  We are the mechanism through which our ancestors have continuity.

Congrats!!   Don’t believe folks when they say build time is gone now.  I got more kits built when I had a house full of our 4 kids than I do now as empty nesters.   Just find a balance between hobby and momma getting a break from baby duty.  

Congrats Hubbie! You're in for it now. Newborn diapers - why they have never been used as a weapon of war has escaped me. Probably something to do with the Geneva Convention rules against the use of chemical weapons. Terrible Twos - overrated. Then they get nice and fun for a little while, until they hit their teens. The dismay at seeing my happy-go-lucky young boy turn into a morose, uncommunicative teenage nightmare was hard to believe. Then, all of a sudden they've grown out of that and its Girls or Boys. Nothing will frighten you more than the haunting prospect of your son or daughter having sex. Hopefully they make it through all that, and sooner than you know, they are grown, have jobs and are married. All of a sudden you're a grandfather and you wonder how all that time could go by so fast.

Treasure it all, for this is the stuff of life. All the sacrifices, so hard at the beginning, seem so insignificant later on. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mstor

As a parent I will tell you congratulations and good luck! Kids are actually the greatest thing on this planet and I love being a dad! 

As a single parent, I will say don't screw it up with mama-san cause it is a helluva job raising kids on your own!

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, dnl42 said:

Whatever names mama wants!

Oh, and congrats!

Thanks, dnl42, bud! The names mama fancies are Astrid and Gunnar. Not bad, I think.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:56 PM, dnl42 said:

Enjoy  your remaining modeling time. It could be 15-20 years before you get back... :whistle:

There's the rub. I was thinking about that as well; perhaps I've only got five to six months' modelling time ahead of me, tops, until the need to be all devoted to taking care of the wife and next the baby.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:23 PM, SBARC said:

Perhaps aircraft names might slip by the wife?

Stuka is a nice boys name.

Steve! Hear that you like the French Polynesia as well for your holidays in the sun?

Yes, I was thinking of naming the boy Victor or even Vulcan, after the V-bombers. That'd be something, huh? If girl, Electra would be nice (well, if girl, hope she's the spitting image of her mother, tho :pray:).

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:51 PM, southwestforests said:

Wonder if Catalinas ever visited Bora Bora back in the day.

Well, Catalina is yet another name that I'd like for a girl, LRO providing, of course...

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 8:38 PM, GW8345 said:

Congratulations!!

I'm thinking a different direction, instead of name the child after aircraft, why not name he/she after a famous person in aviation.

Such as;

Gregory for Greg Boyington

Robin for Robin Olds

Edward for Ed Heinemann

Jacqueline for Jacqueline Cochran

Amelia for Amelia Earhart

John for John Bolt

Many, many thanks, mate! Robin sounds awfully good, and Eduard... :naughty: (that's to slyly name the son after the famous Czech aftermarket manufacturer! The wife would never find out!

Amelia is another girl's name that I fancy.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:37 PM, Sabre Freak said:

Mine was easy.  “Nick” flows through the generations on my dads side.  We “russionized” it given his birth country.

And no I’m not suggesting “Nick” but you get the idea.  Look to your ancestors for inspiration.  We are the mechanism through which our ancestors have continuity.

I believe my ancestors were all of Scandinavian extraction; hence, the choosing of Astrid/Gunnar by the missus. Perhaps I should name my son Zero or Zeke? :hmmm:

First name's got to rhyme with the last name, says the wife.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:04 AM, Scott Smith said:

Congrats!!   Don’t believe folks when they say build time is gone now.  I got more kits built when I had a house full of our 4 kids than I do now as empty nesters.   Just find a balance between hobby and momma getting a break from baby duty.  

Thanks a lot, Scott!

That's quite good to learn. As first-timers the both of us, we still remember too well when we had to go look after one of my wife's nephews. Her sister had this lovely cottage in the woods of Kent and yet so very little time did we have left to enjoy ourselves my by then fiancée and I.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:45 AM, Mstor said:

Congrats Hubbie! You're in for it now. Newborn diapers - why they have never been used as a weapon of war has escaped me. Probably something to do with the Geneva Convention rules against the use of chemical weapons. Terrible Twos - overrated. Then they get nice and fun for a little while, until they hit their teens. The dismay at seeing my happy-go-lucky young boy turn into a morose, uncommunicative teenage nightmare was hard to believe. Then, all of a sudden they've grown out of that and its Girls or Boys. Nothing will frighten you more than the haunting prospect of your son or daughter having sex. Hopefully they make it through all that, and sooner than you know, they are grown, have jobs and are married. All of a sudden you're a grandfather and you wonder how all that time could go by so fast.

Treasure it all, for this is the stuff of life. All the sacrifices, so hard at the beginning, seem so insignificant later on. :thumbsup:

Mark! :worship:  Thanks a helluva lot, my mate. I'm quite experienced in the diaper swapping chores, and I can always make use of my respirator when I see that the "aroma" of the present is going to be unbearable (it's of great use to get the baby to be quiet by focusing on an odd-looking face as well):coolio:. This is going to be a lot different from when I used to take care of my nephews and nieces, as it's going to be a rather permanent job. I will have to work on my patience, as I know kids are quite a terribly lot different from the time I used to be one.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:24 AM, Whiskey said:

As a parent I will tell you congratulations and good luck! Kids are actually the greatest thing on this planet and I love being a dad! 

As a single parent, I will say don't screw it up with mama-san cause it is a helluva job raising kids on your own!

Zach! Thanks a million, chap. Yes, indeed; I need to be a good dad for this one, as my own dad was sort of an absent parent to me, and I know for a fact that I don't want to be the same for my kid - not at all. And this applies also for the wife; I need to be there for her to support her in any ways I'm able to.

23 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Congregations to the both of you! :cheers:

Gregg! Thanks a lot, fella. Congregations...? :tease: It reminds me when the wife came telling me she was pregnant, and it came so out of the blue for me that I asked her how had that happened. I found a seat cushion flying right into my mouth as a response... :rofl:

15 hours ago, hemspilot said:

As you are going to be very busy with your first born, I am volunteering to help you manage your stash before it rots away in some damp basement.

No need to thank me, it's just out of my good heart.😇

That's right; thanks for being such a good-hearted lad. :whistle: The wife has already asked me to make some room in my man cave, anyway, so many of my beloved kit boxes will have to go (damn baby invader!). Will be fashioning a list on the For Sell section soon.

15 hours ago, Don said:

Congrats! I've got two myself. Best job I've ever had!

Enjoy!

Thanks Don! Two, huh? My next one will have to wait until this one is independent enough as to be able to go to work, have a sweetheart and be out of the house. (Yes, that's what I wish...).

Thanks everyone for your support; I'm scared to death! :crying2:

Names? 

I suggest Poly (first name) Styrene (middle).  Apologies to fans of 70's punk band X-Ray Specs.

2nd choice is Amktom (get it?  - AMK Tom).  With that name, your lovely offspring will surely be the center of attention and discussion for his/her entire life.

48 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I suggest Poly (first name) Styrene (middle).

Actually, when I proposed the wife naming the if girl Styrene, she gave me an odd look (half puzzled, half annoyed), but I told her it was this sort of a rare Irene.

Oh, but it's as though the kid were just hers already... :rolleyes:

For the boy I'd want a name with a bit more of punch, like Mek, or Turpentine. Ah, but the wife won't play along. Torch, Lacquer, etc.

55 minutes ago, 11bee said:

2nd choice is Amktom (get it?  - AMK Tom).  With that name, your lovely offspring will surely be the center of attention and discussion for his/her entire life.

Whatever the name, if girl, and she takes after the wife, then I'll have to get my 12-gauge shotgun with Brenneke ammo out before she even turns 5! :chain-gun:

I'd be more worried if it's a boy. My daughter is 7, healthy, active, beautiful, plus very social and top of her class (not trying to sound biased at all) and boys are not an issue.

My son who's 4 however, that kid has like 3 girlfriends ranging from his grade (Pre-K) to 5th grade! I'm not exaggerating either. It's kinda disturbing haha.

Edited by Whiskey
3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I'd be more worried if it's a boy. My daughter is 7, healthy, active, beautiful, plus very social and top of her class (not trying to sound biased at all) and boys are not an issue.

If the boy inherits my character, then I guess he's lost before being born. He shall be the one arguing endlessly about the forthcoming AMK 1/48 Tomcat iterations on the very same thread on this forum after I pass away :rofl:(pun intended).

8 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

My son who's 4 however, that kid has like 3 girlfriends ranging from his grade (Pre-K) to 5th grade! I'm not exaggerating either. It's kinda disturbing haha.

There. And bear in mind Zach was as modest as he might not to have mentioned that his kid took after him!  

12 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Got 3 girls, 24, 19 and 8.    Zero problems with any of them.   Good kids, good grades, have all made good life decisions (so far).   Boys just seem so..... high maintenance.    

Bora Bora, Pacific huh ?

You have big choice  ;^D)

Boy : Rex, Tony, Oscar, Franck, Zeke, Pete, Nick, Jack…

Girl : Betty, Dinah, Emily, Frances, Grace, Helen, Jill, Judy..

And many more…

Congratulations to you both… All the best... 

Eric B.

3 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

If the boy inherits my character, then I guess he's lost before being born. He shall be the one arguing endlessly about the forthcoming AMK 1/48 Tomcat iterations on the very same thread on this forum after I pass away :rofl:(pun intended).

There. And bear in mind Zach was as modest as he might not to have mentioned that his kid took after him!  

I would love to say that was true but no girl was ever interested is a super skinny, super tall dweeb with glasses back in those days. I do appreciate the sentiment though haha!

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Got 3 girls, 24, 19 and 8.    Zero problems with any of them.   Good kids, good grades, have all made good life decisions (so far).   Boys just seem so..... high maintenance.    

See! That's what I'm talking about! As long as you raise them right they know how to take care of themselves. And yes you're right, boys are super high maintenance.