PlusModel Announces 1/72 AQM/BQM-34 Firebee Family

This just hit SCM.  PlusModels has announced a series of three kits of the early & late Teledyne Ryan KDA-1/BQM-34A Firebee target drones. What is not evident from the sprue shot below, is whether each box gets the whole sprue or the sprue is separated into thirds.  

AL7028 USAF BQM-34 Firebee Target Drone 

AL7035 Firebee with cart [DC-130A/JD-1/DP-2E pylons]

AL7036 USN KDA-1 Firebee (early)

Sprueshot for AL7035

000.JPG.38bfd3c47f24b4c8466bbc1ca45b0018.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Very cool! :thumbsup:

I've seen pics of an Invader with Firebees under the wings. Should be a cool modelling subject.

Google's image search shows a Canadian Lancaster loaded with Firebees. Also nice.

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Another very happy modeler here! Just a few months ago I bought the Black Dog 1/72 BQM-34A, but it was a huge disappointment. Here's my list of errors:

• overall length should be 275.71" = 97.3 mm. I measured 80.9 + 10.5 = 91.4 mm, 5.9 mm too short, or 94% of the real length

• the fuselage is too fat in the middle, giving it a pregnant look. It's also too fat behind the wing. Ryan drawings show 28.12" max width, 9.9 mm in 1/72, the model is 12.3 mm

• the nacelle is too short

• the wings and tailplanes have 'root ribs' embossed on the fuselage, to which the flying surfaces are to be butt-jointed. This makes for weak connections, difficult sanding, and missing gaps. The Italeri method with recessed pockets is so much better and realistic

• the wings and tailplanes all have a completely unrealistic wedge-shaped wing profile, flat on the top and bottom sides. The unique drooped-leading edge profile of the main wing is absent

• the tailplanes attach to the main parachute cone, that is ejected during recovery, instead of the rear fuselage

• the tailplane endplates are of a type that I have never seen

• the panel line that separates the radome from the fuselage is placed too far forward, making the radome far too small

• most panel lines on the rear fuselage are missing

• the electronics hatch on the rear left fuselage is positioned too far forward

• the spine starts too far aft

• the inlet shape looks strange

• there's a concave area behind the exhaust that does not exist

• the cart is of a type that I've never seen

The new PlusModel Firebee looks good on the sprues. On the built-up models the vertical tail keeps attracting my attention, it looks like the sweep angle is too small.

Both the LSM and Belcher first-generation Firebees (Q-2A / KDA) have problems, so I'm very happy that PlusModel gives these a go. I hope they do the air force version too, that has a smaller nacelle and no bullet in the inlet.

I've been playing with the Italeri 1/72 BQM-34 for ages, modifying them into various AQM-34 versions, like the AQM-34M below.

aqm34-43.jpg

If you want to know more about the AQM-34, check out my website:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/aqm34.htm

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Rob, Groeten!  You are the acknowledged expert on modeling the Ryan BQM-34 Firebee drone. I have been a big fan for years, and have both Lightning Bug books. I have also visited your website numerous times for information and inspiration.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.  K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch