Query - 1/144 Decals for Boeing 367-80 "707" Prototype

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, JohnEB said:

Decals aside, I'd be interested in knowing about the model itself as there are a lot of differences between the 367-80 and a 707.

You may find what you are looking for in this thread where there is a discussion going on  :

https://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=11202

Scott,

Yes, they all look very nice.  The moulding and recessed panel lines look exquisite. The only qualms I have about the Authentic Ailriners kits are the extra length of the inboard pylon trailing edges for A & E models.  It looks like he copied the old Revell JT3D pylons.  Here are pictures of the Authentic Airliners pylons from the link above.

001.JPG.c0cb5e5cadb92dcb79aedd8f5aab2d43.JPG

Authentic Airliners 1/144 KC-135A J-57 engines

002.JPG.3ee6f999572c7bb7d576120b70d9eddc.JPG

Authentic Airliners 1/144 KC-135E TF-33 engines.

Here are two cropped photos of a KC-135A & EC-135C showing the short pylon trailing edges on all four engine locations.

003.JPG.d7eb51be80349c214a005cc714fa7ea7.JPG

KC-135A

004.JPG.e22d924ab3ffbae4293b13d676e7cd14.JPG

EC-135C

While I am excited about the beautiful kit mouldings, if I am going to pay Euro 65 for a 1/144 KC-135 kit, it needs to be pretty accurate right out of the box.  I have several Revell KC-135A kits for $5-$10, several Minicraft KC-135A/E/R kits for $20-$35, and a few Welsh kits for $25-$30.  I am well familiar with the peculiarities of each kit and have performed minor-major surgery to make corrections, particularly the Revell kits. For a $5-10 Revell kit, I can live with that. Once I have paid Euro 65 for a 1/144 KC-135, I don't want to have to pay the equivalent of another Euro 15-20 for replacement engines/pylons.

Though, I am still considering purchasing a couple of these kits when they become available.

R/

Dutch      

Edited by Dutch
21 hours ago, Dutch said:

The only qualms I have about the Authentic Ailriners kits are the extra length of the inboard pylon trailing edges for A & E models.  It looks like he copied the old Revell JT3D pylons.  Here are pictures of the Authentic Airliners pylons from the link above.

Dutch,
Actually the inboard long pylons feature is typical of the 707 and it could be that Kurt has a single mould for both models.
An other point is that the Kurt's long (wrong) pylons of the TF33 are for the outer engines, as you can see in your second pic, where there are also the TC humps.
Bye
Euge

Euge,

Yes, if Keith is molding the engines for the 707 kit, then the rear pylon moldings will work. However the front of the JT3C/J-57s would have to be modified with turbo-compressor hoods for the 707 (4x) / 720 (2x). The JT3D engines will work for the 720B and some 707B/C (American Airlines).  Otherwise a third TC hood would be required for the vast majority of 707B/Cs.  Here is a link the excellent 707 / 720 article on Airliner Cafe by David Hingtgen

As to the KC-135E, I should have chosen a different photo, instead of the EC-135C. 

004.JPG.de5ae30d9a5b1173c21af831f2480adf.JPG

The point remains, that the KC-135 pylon trailing edges are short, not long.  C-135Bs were delivered with no TC hoods on the TF-33 engines, while the RC-135B was delivered with TC hoods on Engines 1, 2 & 4, as in the EC-135C photo. Because many C-135Bs were modified into EC/RC/WC variants, there are multiple TC hood combinations for engines # 1,2,3,4.  When KC-35As were modified into KC-135Es, they received either two, three, or in a couple of cases, four TC hoods.  Again, the pylon trailing edges were all short.  For KC-135E, I would recommend including four short trailing edge pylons and three TC hood engine faces and two non-TC engine faces.  For KC-135A, I would include four short trialing edge plons and all four engine faces "as is."

R/

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
add detail
On 2/27/2020 at 2:40 PM, 72linerlover said:

Perfect said, Dutch.
That matches with my knowledge.
On the modeling side, I'd say that is always easier shortening than stretching, so if you like the Authentic Airliners engines, you'll face an easy task.

Bye

Euge

Thanks Euge! As to shortening pylon trailing edges, I am all too familiar with correcting Revell E-3A AWACS pylons, having recontoured over a dozen last year alone.  Enough said!🤨😎

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch,

back to your original post, did you find anyone who makes 367-80 decals?

I will love a set for the horrible Aurora kit.

I might use one of Kurt's KC-135's to do the -80.

Cross section is almost good enough

IMG_1506.jpg

Edited by waltmert