Camo painting mask

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this before.

I was having issues with masking matierials and ran into this solution. I'm now using 3m lint roller tape. This is the vynil type and not paper based.

Benefits:

Its fairly flexible for moderate curved surfaces

Its thin so you can trace easily and see how the mask will look

It's easy to cut with an exacto

Maintains stickiness with repeated application/ removal

Does not pull up cured paint

Non absorbent

Leaves a sharp edge with airbrusing

Cheap

The paint I use is acylic based and I have not used it with lacquer or enamel. YMMV

On 2/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, Steve gaspar said:

I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this before.

I was having issues with masking matierials and ran into this solution. I'm now using 3m lint roller tape. This is the vynil type and not paper based.

Benefits:

Its fairly flexible for moderate curved surfaces

Its thin so you can trace easily and see how the mask will look

It's easy to cut with an exacto

Maintains stickiness with repeated application/ removal

Does not pull up cured paint

Non absorbent

Leaves a sharp edge with airbrusing

Cheap

The paint I use is acylic based and I have not used it with lacquer or enamel. YMMV

Now that's an idea. Never would have thought of that. Do you peal off a section then place it on some surface to cut into whatever sizes you need? If so, what can you recommend placing it on to cut?

The lint sheets are 4 by 6. I use scissors to cut the size I need or just use the whole sheet. The individual sheets are perforated (very finely) so you can use any length you desire but you're limited by the 4-inch width. Sheet tack extends right to the edge so you can butt ends.

I then take the sheet and attach it to the part to be painted and lightly pencil the areas to be cut out. You don't have to stick the sheet down to the part with any great force because it's very tacky.

I then pull the sheet off the part, put it on a piece of glass and use a exacto knife to cut out the parts that will be painted and then reattach it to the model part. I found out if I put it the sheet on a piece of glass to cut, then I could spin the glass around while I held the exacto knife  and cut without sharp lines.

Anyways, the lint sheets are thin enough so that you can see through them to the outline of the part below so you know where you are but if you put the part on top of a glass plate with some source of light coming from below you can see it much better.

I got the idea because I wanted to do some painting and I found out if I ordered masking sheets that were 4 by 6, it would take almost 4 weeks to get to me and I wanted to paint NOW,  so I decided to experiment. So far it has worked out very nicely and I thought I'd share...