Great USAF Weathering Ref Shots

5 hours ago, AV O said:

I don't see any B-1 in the pics in those links. The Mirage 2000-5s are from Qatar (says that in the photo description on Flickr).

8 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It seems this thread has gone from dirty Air Force birds to any and all Air Force birds.

No one said "dirty," and if you pay attention to the original Navy thread, it's a lot of aircraft in various forms of weathering.

Of all the weathering shots, the most exotic and unique are those of an F-22.  The colors fade and the jet weathers like it has whole color palette to itself! Most unique metallic, translucent  and grey shades. 

On 2/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, picknpluck said:

The most eye-catching thing about this pic is the loadout but also noteworthy and more subtle is the uneven wear on the walkways.

RtvQ1lv.jpg

That's because we climbed up  and got into the cockpits from the left side, both for maintenance and aircrews. We didn't walk on the right side walkways much except for passing over them while jumping down onto the right wing. 

Good eye for noticing that, most modelers weather both sides the same. For a Phantom that hadn't been repainted in awhile, there often was also some bare metal showing on the top of the left vari-ramp from people walking on top of it while going from the boarding ladder to the rear cockpit. The paint on top of the right vari-ramp was much more pristine since we almost never stood on top of it. 

22 minutes ago, avnav said:

That's because we climbed up  and got into the cockpits from the left side, both for maintenance and aircrews. We didn't walk on the right side walkways much except for passing over them while jumping down onto the right wing. 

Good eye for noticing that, most modelers weather both sides the same. For a Phantom that hadn't been repainted in awhile, there often was also some bare metal showing on the top of the left vari-ramp from people walking on top of it while going from the boarding ladder to the rear cockpit. The paint on top of the right vari-ramp was much more pristine since we almost never stood on top of it. 

Not really trying to keep this on older photos but here's a higher resolution photo of the one earlier.

32301713693_f1920c9580_b.jpg

an-air-to-air-front-overhead-view-of-an-

10 minutes ago, 11bee said:

The F-4 pic above, is it from Desert Storm?  Pretty unique loadout.  

No, it was a photo shoot out of George AFB I think. There's a whole series of pics with this plane and others from the wing with various loadouts. Coincidentally, this aircraft is the same one depicted in the 1/48 Hasegawa kit.

Here's a few more shots from that photo shoot.

NIQDtuO.jpg

w87ok4b.jpg

5pFADDp.jpg

eAoN1OU.jpg

On 2/6/2020 at 11:35 AM, picknpluck said:

Here's the back side of the A-10 I posted above. 

H2gDSDU.jpg

I like the oil / exhaust leak streaking that has taken place on the bottom of the exhaust nozzles. Also note the streaking from the gun gasses off of the RWR sensors on the bottom IB side of the elevators, very subtle but there.

Edited by Bulldog 09
3 hours ago, Bulldog 09 said:

I like the oil / exhaust leak streaking that has taken place on the bottom of the exhaust nozzles. Also note the streaking from the gun gasses off of the RWR sensors on the bottom IB side of the elevators, very subtle but there.

Not to mention, notice the staining under the engine housing on the, I guess KC-10 in the background. Very cool detail there.

On 2/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I’ll play this game too

Here’s one of me refueling over Afghanistan in late summer of 2011.  Our jets were positively filthy by this point in the deployment!

YHkOAMe.jpg

Wow, I had no idea you were an F-15 pilot!  You're going to be an outstanding resource for military jets going forward! 🤗