Great USAF Weathering Ref Shots

14 hours ago, Curt B said:

Wow, I had no idea you were an F-15 pilot!  You're going to be an outstanding resource for military jets going forward! 🤗

I was an indeed.  First I was a T-6 FAIP at Laughlin and then F-15Es with the 389th at Mountain Home, 334th at Seymour, and finished up with about a year with the 307th (embedded reserves are the schoolhouse).  I’ve found a lot of our MX brethren here know a lot of the finer details better than a lot of us aircrew, but I’ll add what I can!  Anyways, I’ve had the modeling bug my entire life and have been a part of ARC long before I got to go fly the stuff I modeled!   Now that I’m no longer active duty, I actually have time to enjoy this great hobby 🤣

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
8 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I was an indeed.  First I was a T-6 FAIP at Laughlin and then F-15Es with the 389th at Mountain Home, 334th at Seymour, and finished up with about a year with the 307th (embedded reserves are the schoolhouse).  I’ve found a lot of our MX brethren here know a lot of the finer details better than a lot of us aircrew, but I’ll add what I can!  Anyways, I’ve had the modeling bug my entire life and have been a part of ARC long before I got to go fly the stuff I modeled!   Now that I’m no longer active duty, I actually have time to enjoy this great hobby 🤣

Steve

Well, I am thrilled to know that you actually flew these incredible things!  

When I was little, there were two things I wanted to be more than anything else in the world.  One was a rock star, but I have never had any musical talent of any kind, so I was doomed there.  The other was to be a fighter pilot.  But less than 20/20 eyesight when I was very little, and then paralysis of my lower extremities at age 12 took away that dream.  I'm glad someone got to live out my dreams!  I'm glad to know you, sir!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, 11bee said:

I love the F-22.  In many pics, it looks like something out of a sci-fi movie.  

Is it just routine weathering and fading that makes the paint look more like a straight metallic coating. In the pics I've seen of them when they were new, the paint looked more like the grey camo of an F-15, but with the metallic sheen. In the photo above, the majority of the wing surface just looks like a metallic silver color, as opposed to the panels forward of the IFR area. I'd love to do a model of an F-22 with that kind of wear. Some pics I've seen seem to show a patch work of various metallic panels and some painted panels. Looks very cool to me for some reason.

Interesting photo on the JBER website:

190722-F-GO452-0011.JPG

Col Homer K. Hansen, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing Commander, sits in his cockpit after flying the wing's 100,000th combat mission at Bien Hoa Air Base near Saigon, South Vietnam.