MiG-29 detail question

I'm getting near the end of a GWH MiG-29 9-12 that I'm doing as a USSR plane around 1991. I'm wondering about the diamond shaped panel just ahead of the windscreen with the three vertical tubes sticking out of it. Was this an early or late feature, and would it be appropriate/necessary on a plane of that vintage? GWH provides the diamond shaped panel with and without holes for the tubes.

Thanks, Pip

30 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Here are the pics I took in Dayton in 1991

mig-29a-1.jpg

mig-29a-2.jpg

mig-29a-3.jpg

mig-29a-4.jpg

mig-29a-5.jpg

mig-29ub-1.jpg

mig-29ub-2.jpg

I was there!  Do you remember all the rain?  And what was funny, the MiG’s had no radar in them!  That also was the year that Dayton got the first F-117 for public display, thanks to Sen. John Glenn.

14 hours ago, seawinder said:

I'm getting near the end of a GWH MiG-29 9-12 that I'm doing as a USSR plane around 1991. I'm wondering about the diamond shaped panel just ahead of the windscreen with the three vertical tubes sticking out of it. Was this an early or late feature, and would it be appropriate/necessary on a plane of that vintage? GWH provides the diamond shaped panel with and without holes for the tubes.

As far as I understand, those three antennas are part of the SRO-2P IFF transponder (with a convenient NATO name - 'Odd Rods'). That's an older system and the newer one was SRO-1P which didn't use those antennas (hence the triangle cover PE part in the kit).

But, I've seen photos of 9.13 MiG-29's in Germany with and without those antennas, so best to search for photos showing the airframe you want to represent.

E.g. one of the options in the GWH 9.13 kit, but from the early 90's while the airframe was still stationed in East Germany:

photo_9999_40438.jpg

I can't find the photo of the other MiG-29 unit stationed in East Germany that I've seen with those antennas, though.

Edited by ijozic

Thanks all for the info and photos. ijozic, I'm going to take your lead and do my model without the antennas, largely because I'm finding the tiny GWH photo-etch assembly beyond my ability to achieve a satisfactory result. Really don't understand why they couldn't have done it as a single injection molded piece (Academy did on theirs).

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

Thanks all for the info and photos. ijozic, I'm going to take your lead and do my model without the antennas, largely because I'm finding the tiny GWH photo-etch assembly beyond my ability to achieve a satisfactory result. Really don't understand why they couldn't have done it as a single injection molded piece (Academy did on theirs).

Yeah, I took one look at those tiny PE antenna parts and decided it's insane (same goes for those seatbelts). Luckily, the variant I decided to do didn't have those IFF antennas and I got an aftermarket seat to solve the seatbelts problem.

BTW, I did use all of the instrument decals and loved those. Didn't really like the decal instructions though. Quite a few of the decals are not listed and for most, the instructions don't really show the exact position and orientation.

Yes, I also invested in a resin seat (Quickboost), which happily fits nicely, but I used the kit ejection handle since the Quickboost item was broken. Agreed on the IP decals. I didn't find the stenciling instructions too bad, and a lot of the stencil decals are virtually invisible so alignment doesn't seem to make that big a difference. An awful lot of them, though. I counted 188 for the airframe and another 198 for the two R-27s/pylons and the four Eduard Brassin R-73s/pylons.