CD72097 & CD72098: New B-52 sheets

• 4 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, KursadA said:

Below is the link to the thread for the new sheets. It would be nice if you can post your question there; but the short answer is yes, CD72097 will have at least two Secret Squirrel aircraft.

By any chance would you be including "El Lobo II" 58-0185 on the sheet? She was the only SIOP camouflaged bird in Secret Squirrel and possibly the only SIOP camouflaged G in Desert Storm.

Cheers,  Tom

• 1 month later...

Kursad,  Any chance of the Minot candy cane stripe making it onto a sheet? 

Chris, Which squadron used the Candy Cane tail band?

Three pics of B-52H 60-0055 5th BW, @ NAS Norfolk Air Show May, 1993.

B-52H_60-0055_5thBW_NorfolkAirShow_May93.thumb.jpg.83328ffb1afad36916901ccdcecd01d5.jpg

Edited by Dutch

Three pics of B-52H 60-0061 "Birdstrike" 5th BW, @ NAS Norfolk Air Show April 1994. That's my son, Joe, 3 yo at the time, in the third photo. He's a Marine Captain now.  Would love to see the candy cane tail band on a 1/144 sheet. 

B-52H_60-0061_Birdstrike_5thBW_NorfolkAirShow_Apr94.thumb.jpg.e329e4bb788ce057e7a5159d86e8422e.jpg

Edited by Dutch

Candy cane was used by the 23 BS, which at the time was the only active BS at Minot. 

As the H-models from KI, Fairchild, Carswell, and Griffiss were distributed between Barksdale and Minot, a second sq was activated at Minot in December '94 (72d) to absorb the additional jets.  That led to the creation of the Barons stripe for the 23d and the lightning bolt for the 72d.

Good shots Dutch, thanks for sharing.

Chris

Just copying this post from the CD72077 thread, as it fits better over here.

For the period 1992-1994 when the two letter codes were authorized, only the following B-52 units carried them, correct?

LA = 2nd BW, Barksdale AFB, LA

BD = 917th/307th BW (AFRES), Barksdale AFB, LA

MT = 5th BW, Minot AFB, ND

FC = 92nd BW, Fairchild AFB, WA

GR = 416th BW, Griffiss AFB, NY

CW = 7th BW, Carswell AFB, TX 

LZ = 42nd BW, Loring AFB, ME

MO = 366th Wg, Mountain Home AFB, ID (but remained at Castle AFB, CA)

CA = 93rd BW, Castle AFB, CA

KI = 416th BW, K.I. Sawyer AFB, MI

ED = 412th Test Wg, Edwards AFB, CA

?? = 379th BW, Wurtsmith AFB, MI (never received two-letter tail code, using "Triangle K" instead until last B-52G flew out in Dec 1992.)

xx = 97th BW, Eaker AFB, AR (already inactivated and moved to Altus AFB, OK by summer 1992.)

28th (ELlsworth) & 96th (DYess) had already converted to B-1B Lancers.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I don't think that the 319th B-52Hs or later the Gs carried the orange/lt blue "sunflake" tailband, ever.  The 46th BS transitioned from Hs to Gs in 1982, then to B-1Bs in 1987.  The B-1Bs carried the "sunflake," but not the B-52s. The tankers would have had the "sunflake" starting in the early-mid eighties.

HTH, 

Dutch

KC-135_Tails.JPG.48458c454d6bd8815ac634fd462cc9b9.JPG

Edited by Dutch
13 minutes ago, wxltcol said:

Well, it's been since 1983-1985, so my memories are faulty.  But, I do remember the sunflake.  It was half sun and half snow.

Tom

Tom, "Sunflake" on a B-52?  Please find a picture, if you can.  I am not saying I don't believe you, it's just that I have never seen a photo of one. Kind regards, Dutch     

The only Sunflake I've seen on a B-52 was on the gate guard G-model at Grand Forks.  I don't recall seeing any other photos, so presumably the gate guard marking is not representative of the B-52's time in the 319 BMW.

Pg 290 of Peace Was Their Profession, Strategic Air Command: A Tribute by Hill, Campbell, & Campbell (1995).

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is an early G with 'Memphis Belle II' markings.  It predates all of the others with the same name.  A totally different look to the Belle in the 60's.  The local newspaper date is May 15, 1965.  I found this, again, in the same Facebook group as above.  The newspaper has other interesting articles as well... I grew up about 10 miles from the base.

1439574809_MemphisBelleII.thumb.jpg.fd6016cdc6d23378a61e0a27ee8a0d40.jpg2017303352_MemphisBelleIInewsarticle.thumb.jpg.a3c40409c7ca905d46340c12d38337d8.jpg

Edited 4 hours ago by fasteagle12

• 9 months later...

These are again on the front burner now - I am actively working on the final changes and will post the drafts soon. In the meantime, hopefully we will have newly tooled parts for the latest variant that will be joining the force in a few years, if everything goes according to plan? It really looks pretty cool..

newb52.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 11:35 AM, KursadA said:

These are again on the front burner now - I am actively working on the final changes and will post the drafts soon. In the meantime, hopefully we will have newly tooled parts for the latest variant that will be joining the force in a few years, if everything goes according to plan? It really looks pretty cool..

newb52.jpg

Oooh!  Lots of changes: new engines, new nacelles, minus the EVS chin bumps, new cockpit (That center panel looks awful empty!), what looks like SATCOM humps over the wingspar area.  Hmm, may require a whole new mold! Either that or the AM vendors will be busy.

Edited by Dutch
On 11/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, Dutch said:

Oooh!  Lots of changes: new engines, new nacelles, minus the EVS chin bumps, new cockpit (That center panel looks awful empty!), what looks like SATCOM humps over the wingspar area.  Hmm, may require a whole new mold! Either that or the AM vendors will be busy.

There's currently no aftermarket sets to fully update any of the 1/72 kits to current standards.  In particular, the sniper/lightning pod pylons are badly needed.