CD72097 & CD72098: New B-52 sheets

2 hours ago, sigtau said:

There's currently no aftermarket sets to fully update any of the 1/72 kits to current standards.  In particular, the sniper/lightning pod pylons are badly needed.

sigtau,  I made mine from sheet styrene. Took a few minutes, but I was pleased with the results. K/r, Dutch

• 1 month later...

Folks, I need some help so I can finish the design of this sheet for a March release. I need help with:

-Any suggestions for a camouflaged late 80s-early 90s 93BW (Castle) jet with interesting nose art and the "castle" artwork on the tail?

-What would the tail of "The Big Stick" (57-6485) look like when this photo was taken?

-What would the tail of "Bridesmaid Becky" (60-0043) look like when this photo was taken?

b52qp1.jpgb52qp2.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by KursadA

@KursadA

The tail of "The Big Stick" (57-6485) 97th BW would have the USAF & last five of the serial on the top of the tail in black and the subdued "Flaming Arrow" immediately below as in the Revell 1/144 #4583/4797 B-52G kits. (Sorry, I will get to my SAC/ACC books later today for an actual photo.)

9L.JPG.ca7f9897edafada65ea2c35c1aab2f91.JPG  Revell_144_No4797_B-52G_02.JPG.9e82405a8c970af0f813ea5074a12885.JPG

The tail of B-52H "Bridesmaid Becky" (60-0043) of the 410th BW, K.I. Sawyer AFB might have had no special tail markings, just USAF and last five in black at the top of the tail, as in this photo of B-52H 60-0017 circa 1987. (Wiki) It seems that many G/Hs had no special tail markings during the switch from SIOP to Strategic scheme during the mid to late 1980s.

60-0017.JPG.50da22b67c5bfeeec2ece1fd69b27560.JPG

... or it may have had the subdued "Upper Peninsula rainbow" as in this ARC Forum thread here circa 1992. (scroll half way down.)

A rather plain 93rd jet might be B-52G 58-0191 "Bearin' Arms."  It would have the USAF & last five of the serial on the top of the tail in black and a lighter gray "Castle" rook just below, as in this photo from Hill AFB museum. [Note: it has since been repainted in the SIOP scheme.]

58-0191.thumb.JPG.28f0ae8917493b9cf9006bd9c2f5cc3d.JPG

Edited by Dutch
add links
18 hours ago, KursadA said:

Folks, I need some help so I can finish the design of this sheet for a March release. I need help with:

-Any suggestions for a camouflaged late 80s-early 90s 93BW (Castle) jet with interesting nose art and the "castle" artwork on the tail?

-What would the tail of "The Big Stick" (57-6485) look like when this photo was taken?

-What would the tail of "Bridesmaid Becky" (60-0043) look like when this photo was taken?

b52qp1.jpgb52qp2.jpg

Thanks!

I have look through all my photos of Bridesmaid Becky and all the KI jets and can’t confirm which one was used the rainbow or the stripes with the falcon in it. Italeri had this nose art in one of there kits and used the rainbow tail flash, but I suspect the colors are not accurate in the rainbow. On a side not thank you for doing a 410th jet, was hoping for Stratofortress Rex, but anything will do.

I have a very similar photo of the nose of 60-0043, dated May 1990, but not a shot of the whole jet.  After looking through other KI photos, I'd go with the curved rainbow, as I don't see the straight flash in photos until 1991.  Some photos show "KI SAWYER" under the rainbow, and some don't...

410-BMW-Aug89.jpg

Edited by Gator52
4 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

On a side not thank you for doing a 410th jet, was hoping for Stratofortress Rex, but anything will do.

I totally forgot about Stratofortress Rex - that one was cool, too. I still have the reference photos you sent me back in 2019, but I can't figure out what kind of tail art it had: is it the toned down rainbow, or the falcon?

14 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I totally forgot about Stratofortress Rex - that one was cool, too. I still have the reference photos you sent me back in 2019, but I can't figure out what kind of tail art it had: is it the toned down rainbow, or the falcon?

I found one of my photos a little blurry, but am pretty sure it is showing the rainbow on Stratofortress Rex not the falcon tail. I have no idea how to post images here and can email it if you want.

I've got a good photo of Stratofortress Rex (60-0048) dated Oct '91 showing straight rainbow with falcon and overall FS 36081.

If I can't find a link to where I originally found it, I will email it.

I've got another photo that appears to show the nose art mirrored on the right side, may be one of the same photos Travis is referring to.  Just looked at it again and realized the image was reversed...so no indication of a mirrored image on the right after all-

Chris

Edited by Gator52
Clarification
19 minutes ago, Gator52 said:

I've got a good photo of Stratofortress Rex (60-0048) dated Oct '91 showing straight rainbow with falcon and overall FS 36081.

If I can't find a link to where I originally found it, I will email it.

I've got another photo that appears to show the nose art mirrored on the right side, may be one of the same photos Travis is referring to.

Chris

Yes that is what I sent, also emailed Jolly Roger and Luck o the Irish. Jolly Roger is also a cool nose art and I have a clear picture of the tail for both jets I just mentioned. The Luck O the Irish is still in SIOP 2, but has the falcon on the tail. Also sent Chassis Classy.!

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

60-0048 Stratofortress Rex:

Boeing B-52H Stratofortress - USA - Air Force | Aviation Photo #0445860 | Airliners.net

On 57-6485, I don't have anything to add to Dutch's input, other than a general observation that not many SIOP-painted jets seemed to have unit markings on the fin…

Chris

Nice! Hope we get that one and Jolly Roger with Rainbow tail!

Stratofortress Rex is done and will definitely be on the sheet - looking into replacing Bridesmaid Becky with Jolly Roger if I can. I just need a good photo for the "flaming arrow" tail band for "The Big Stick" (57-6485) and the yet-to-be-defined Castle option that Chris is working on, and I will finalize the list of 12 options on the sheet. 

Here is B-52G 59-2594 "Memphis Belle III" of the 340th BS, 97th BW in overall FS36081 with flaming arrow tail flash.

13554520_s-l1600(17).thumb.jpg.c2f05f7b963556e7ca0b38e3f632b2be.jpg

And from WAPJ, Vol 2, pg 91 we have the subdued wing badge, and again you can barely make out the flaming arrow tail flash.

WAPJ_Vol2_pg91.JPG.2b6ef1c58659dbd0e12d3f1ccb362f52.JPG

14 hours ago, KursadA said:

Stratofortress Rex is done and will definitely be on the sheet - looking into replacing Bridesmaid Becky with Jolly Roger if I can. I just need a good photo for the "flaming arrow" tail band for "The Big Stick" (57-6485) and the yet-to-be-defined Castle option that Chris is working on, and I will finalize the list of 12 options on the sheet. 

Jolly Roger would be great; it's one of the jets that had KI SAWYER under the curved rainbow in 1990.

17 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Revell 1/144 B-52G decals.  Boy, we sure could use both 97th & 416th markings over these highly simplified kit decals.

Agree; if the "Phantom Four Ninety" nose art didn't have the white background layer, it would be usable.  The fin markings are decent, but just about everything else has size and/or color issues.

Chris

1 hour ago, Gator52 said:

Jolly Roger would be great; it's one of the jets that had KI SAWYER under the curved rainbow in 1990.

Agree; if the "Phantom Four Ninety" nose art didn't have the white background layer, it would be usable.  The fin markings are decent, but just about everything else has size and/or color issues.

Chris

Nice it’s not just me politicing for Jolly Roger. Am so excited for these decals, and the downsized 1/144 as well gonna have to get some more GWH “G’s”

5 minutes ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Nice it’s not just me politicing for Jolly Roger. Am so excited for these decals, and the downsized 1/144 as well gonna have to get some more GWH “G’s”

I wholeheartedly second USAFsparkchaser's motion for 1/144 decals.

Edited by Dutch
1 minute ago, Gator52 said:

97-BMW-tail.jpg

Thanks Chris.  I knew that I could rely on you for a close up of the 97th tail flash. BTW, this also appeared on the 97th KC-135As in the Shamu scheme, so the artwork can serve double duty.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Dutch said:

Thanks Chris.  I knew that I could rely on you for a close up of the 97th tail flash. BTW, this also appeared on the 97th KC-135As in the Shamu scheme, so the artwork can serve double duty.

This was a 97th BW KC-135A serial 64-14834 in the 'Shamu' scheme with 'Ridge Runner' art in the static display at the 1989 International Air Tattoo, RAF Fairford. Tail flash looks very similar.

Michael

KC-135A61-04834low.jpg

Edited by Ghostbase
Shamu

Thanks for all the help! Now that I have drawn almost every later SAC-era tail marking and unit badges, it will be fairly straightforward to design future B-52 sheets in any scale simply by choosing new subjects and doing the nose art. We'll start with CD72097 and CD144020 in March.

93 BMW, Castle AFB:

"Wild Thing" 57-6486, overall FS 36081, Nov '89

57-6486.jpg

"Specter" 58-0199, Strat camo, Nov '89

58-0199.jpg

"Majestic" 59-2577, Strat camo, Nov '89

59-2577.jpg

Big Stick: I'm told 57-6480 also wore Big Stick nose art at Blytheville, apparently after 57-6485.  I should have good shots of that version in a day or two.

Chris

28 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Thanks for all the help! Now that I have drawn almost every later SAC-era tail marking and unit badges, it will be fairly straightforward to design future B-52 sheets in any scale simply by choosing new subjects and doing the nose art. We'll start with CD72097 and CD144020 in March.

Sounds terrific, and as others pointed out, many SAC-era bomber markings will easily transfer over to the tankers...Blytheville/Eaker, Carswell, Grand Forks, Barksdale, Wurtsmith, KI to name a few.

Chris

Edited by Gator52

@KursadA Kursad, Terrific news!

@Gator52 Chris, I have been browsing my B-52 references.  We need a good Schiffer Publishing table top book with lots of color photos on the BUFF.  BTW, do you have any better photos of the 320th BW at Mather showing the "Ursa Minor" bear and sunbeam marking for Strategic painted jets?  I clipped this one from the Aerofax/Datagraph #7 on B-52G/H.

K/r,

Dutch

Screenshot_20230108_202439_Drive.thumb.jpg.17d6341a80b42e14f7baab05baee2797.jpg