CD72097 & CD72098: New B-52 sheets

5 hours ago, aircal62 said:

Looks like some of the 1990's era "G" models may have the START I wing fillet.  Do any of the kits in 1/72 have this?   

Yes!  All of the following kits have the START treaty wing fillets. I leave it to others to comment on overall accuracy / buildability. In fact, if you search through the Jet Modeling sub-Forum, you will find several threads on the merits and mods of each kit below.  Of these kits, I only own the ModelCollect kit which allows building either a straight wing or a START treaty jet. The AMT/Italeri options are from the same mold and are hard molded as START treaty wing fillet jets.

HTH,

Dutch

AMT/ERTL 1:72 8625 Boeing Late Model B-52G Stratofortress

Italeri 1:72 1269 B-52G Stratofortress Gulf War 

Italeri 1:72 1378 B-52G Stratofortress Gulf War 25th Anniversary

Modelcollect 1:72 UA72202 B-52G U.S.A.F Stratofortress Strategic Bomber (* with correction set)

Edited by Dutch
correct links
20 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Gator52 Chris, I have been browsing my B-52 references.  We need a good Schiffer Publishing table top book with lots of color photos on the BUFF.  BTW, do you have any better photos of the 320th BW at Mather showing the "Ursa Minor" bear and sunbeam marking for Strategic painted jets?  I clipped this one from the Aerofax/Datagraph #7 on B-52G/H.

Logan's ACC Bomber Triad is terrific but narrow in scope.  Would love to see something comprehensive come along.

320-BMW-tail.jpg

22 hours ago, KursadA said:

Thanks for all the help! Now that I have drawn almost every later SAC-era tail marking and unit badges, it will be fairly straightforward to design future B-52 sheets in any scale simply by choosing new subjects and doing the nose art. We'll start with CD72097 and CD144020 in March.

Will 144020 draw from both 72077 & 72097?

Chris

3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Logan's ACC Bomber Triad is terrific but narrow in scope.  Would love to see something comprehensive come along.

320-BMW-tail.jpg

Similar to the 43BMW on Guam,  our "rays" were symbolic of the ARC LIGHT memorial,  really couldn't see it well.  DCM allowed the Crew Chief's to add a Dragon interwoven with the rays.

Half of the planes were painted before the Wing Commander noticed.

2 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Will 144020 draw from both 72077 & 72097?

Chris

I have not decided yet - so many potential subjects when you include the 10-12 that I drew for CD72097 so far. The coverage of the sheet will probably be limited by the number of pages of the instruction sheet.

I expect to use this artwork in several future sheets and it is highly unlikely anyone else will touch the subject for a while, so let's confirm that I got it right. Here are the new unit tail markings I drew for the new sheets.

I tentatively placed everything on a strategic scheme -G tail, ignore the type/color scheme etc. and let's just confirm that the colors, size etc. are correct.

Some notes:

-I will provide the Barksdale fleur-de-lis in both black and gray.

-Note that the Sawyer "rainbow" is not a rainbow at all, they seem to have used 4 approved colors (two blues, red and orange). I still need a good photo of the KI SAWYER text that needs to be added.

-The Loring art appears in both blue and gray versions. It is rather large and providing both on the 1/72 sheet is not an option. Let me know what you think.

-Now that a close-up of the Mather tail is posted, I will draw that one as well, although there will be no Mather aircraft on 72097. If this one sells out quickly (<12 mo.), we will plan the next sheet here together and add Mather options.

b52tail01.jpg

b52tail06.jpg

b52tail02.jpg

b52tail03.jpg

b52tail04.jpg

b52tail05.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Sent what I have as well…let me know if I need to keep digging or if that works. 

Loring blue vs gray: for me it will come down to nose art; I’m otherwise ambivalent on the color of the tail markings.

Really looking forward to these in both scales!

Chris

Edited by Gator52

@KursadA, Artwork looks good from my tired old eyes.  I tried to click each image and then zoom, but only got so far with the resolution.  I just want to make sure that the 97th arrowhead is actually a double diamond shape.  It is not very clear on Chris' B-52 photo on the preceding page, but is clear on the KC-135A photo that fasteagle provided.

Here is my attempt to highlight it using Chris' photo. I just don't want you to have to draw different artwork for B-52 & KC-135 sheets.

arrow2.JPG.fb9cfb5ef4401e28b413f58a4ebd9e4a.JPG

K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
30 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@KursadA, Artwork looks good from my tired old eyes.  I tried to click each image and then zoom, but only got so far with the resolution.  I just want to make sure that the 97th arrowhead is actually a double diamond shape.  It is not very clear on Chris' B-52 photo on the preceding page, but is clear on the KC-135A photo that fasteagle provided.

Here is my attempt to highlight it using Chris' photo. I just don't want you to have to draw different artwork for B-52 & KC-135 sheets.

arrow2.JPG.fb9cfb5ef4401e28b413f58a4ebd9e4a.JPG

K/r, Dutch

Here's a photo of the 97th emblem.

10461296414_5837ea655e_w.jpg

54 minutes ago, Hooker169 said:

Will “pterodactyl currier” make the sheet like planned?

Do you happen to have a better photo of the nose art? We tried to work with that image but can't guess some of the details - if we can't find a photo showing it on the aircraft I will have to go with something approximate. Two versions of Loring tail art on the 1/72 sheet is really a stretch, though - ideally both Eternal Guardian and Pterodactyl Courier should have the same version (blue or gray).

Edited by KursadA
6 hours ago, KursadA said:

The Loring example on 72097 will be “Eternal Guardian” - not sure if the tail marking whould be light blue or gray

She flew Desert Storm in overall FS 36081 with the gray version:

T-58-0195-OEJN-resized.jpg

That said, I've seen at least one photo of her in strat camo with a similar version of the Eternal Guardian nose art, but the image isn't clear enough to make out the Loring tail marking.

Edited by Gator52

I don't have anything on 58-0241 Pterodactyl Courier, other than a boneyard shot linked from the dstorm.eu page showing her in strat camo:

'Boring Loring' by F16CrewChief on DeviantArt

Tough to say for sure, but I lean towards blue.  I've seen photos of both versions on both strat camo & 36081 on other Loring jets.

Chris

Edited by Gator52
On 7/9/2018 at 6:38 AM, Hooker169 said:

Jy4rwr.jpgHkn2g7.jpgA co-worker supplied me with a reproduction of his nose art at Loring. B-52G 58-0241 "Pterodactyl Courier".

The 42nd BW was tasked during the cold war with the maritime warfare mission and were armed with Harpoon missiles.

58-0241 Pterodactyl Courier.jpg

Here’s a post from a while ago. The artist who painted the actual nose art presented this print to him on his retirement. Hopefully this helps

4 hours ago, Gator52 said:

She flew Desert Storm in overall FS 36081 with the gray version:

T-58-0195-OEJN-resized.jpg

That said, I've seen at least one photo of her in strat camo with a similar version of the Eternal Guardian nose art, but the image isn't clear enough to make out the Loring tail marking.

Chris,

I agree with you. I think that the LORING and Maine outline should be light blue.  There is a huge color shift in the photo above if those jets are indeed FS36081 overall. They appear WAY TOO dark. and the sky, LORING & Maine appear way too light.  Stick with the light blue.  That's my vote. It will make it easier to match either the "Eternal Guardian" or "Pterodactyl Courier" artwork.

K/r,

Dutch

Here's photos showing 58-0195 in both strat camo and overall 36081...I see blue Loring markings on the strat camo, and light gray on the 36081 in the postwar photo.  With a couple of exceptions, that color scheme for the unit markings seems consistent across other photos of Loring jets.  

AIRFIGHTERS.COM - Military Aircraft Photo Database and Aircraft Info

I'd love to find a photo showing Loring jets side by side with both strat camo & 36081 and compare the tail markings...

Chris

Edited by Gator52

Chris, you are right. I am sorry I doubted.

Kursad, how difficult to print both color outlines, possibly split between the two schemes on two different sheets; one for "Eternal Guardian" and the other for "Pterodactyl Courier?"

57 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Chris, you are right. I am sorry I doubted.

Kursad, how difficult to print both color outlines, possibly split between the two schemes on two different sheets; one for "Eternal Guardian" and the other for "Pterodactyl Courier?"

I am still trying to figure it out - ideally I would like to have 8 options on the 1/72 sheet but now I have 12 or 13 schemes I like. It may be a better option to find a few more (perhaps Mather options too) and do 2 sheets, separated by a month or so. 

Maybe split into G and H sheets?

Here's the other version of the Mather fin marking, which I believe came after the version with the rays:

320-BMW-tail-v2.jpg

I've got photos of both these Mather jets carrying the above version that I’ll email you:

57-6468 "Eldership" (first B-52G produced)

58-0189 "Forty Niner"

Chris

Edited by Gator52