CD72097 & CD72098: New B-52 sheets

On 1/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, KursadA said:

I am still trying to figure it out - ideally I would like to have 8 options on the 1/72 sheet but now I have 12 or 13 schemes I like. It may be a better option to find a few more (perhaps Mather options too) and do 2 sheets, separated by a month or so. 

Right! Maybe "Pterodactyl Courier" in the Strategic Scheme with light blue outline/titles and subdued badges on one sheet followed by "Eternal Guardian" in Gunship Gray scheme with light gray outline/titles and black outline badges.  That way, If someone wanted to build the earlier version of "Eternal Guardian" or a later version of "Pterodactyl Courier" they could purchase both sheets and swap Loring markings among the options.  I like it. 

Edited by Dutch
better grammar for understanding
43 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Right! Maybe "Pterodactyl Courier" in the Strategic Scheme with light blue outline/titles and subdued badges on one sheet followed by "Eternal Guardian" in Gunship Gray scheme with light gray outline/titles and black outline badges.  That way, If someone wanted to build the earlier version of "Eternal Guardian" they could purchase both sheets and substitute the previous Loring markings from "Pterodactyl Courier."  I like it. 

This is the way

On 1/9/2023 at 10:56 PM, KursadA said:

-Note that the Sawyer "rainbow" is not a rainbow at all, they seem to have used 4 approved colors (two blues, red and orange). I still need a good photo of the KI SAWYER text that needs to be added.

Posted as a reference in absence of a clear photo:

il_680x540.1868030076_4ph1.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/three-guys-replicas-72004-boeing-b-52h-stratofortress-late--186870

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/decals/tgr/tgr72004.htm

17 hours ago, habu2 said:

@habu2, The problem with using previous decal art for a reference is that it may not be correct, hence the need for Kursad to print accurate artwork.  As you can see in the TGR sheet above, the four blue bands are all the same color.  I am pretty sure that the two outer bands should be darker and the two inner bands should be lighter, using the "approved" dark & light shades of blue as used in the subdued SAC & unit badges.  

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

@habu2, The problem with using previous decal art for a reference is that it may not be correct, hence the need for Kursad to print accurate artwork.  As you can see in the TGR sheet above, the four blue bands are all the same color.  I am pretty sure that the two outer bands should be darker and the two inner bands should be lighter, using the "approved" dark & light shades of blue as used in the subdued SAC & unit badges.  

All artwork is an interpretation.  I'm not verifying or criticizing TGR's or Caracal's interpretations, just sharing input from an interpretation from nearly 30 years ago (the sheet has a 1994 date on the instructions) when the actual jet(s) may have been more accessible and documented.

The internet images above may have been copied, compressed, altered, who knows, over the years.  I own this sheet (bought it for the Carswell jet), I pulled it out and took pics with my cellphone, in direct sunlight near a window, and pulled them into an editor on my PC.  Unfortunately the jpeg compression in the phone (d*mn you computational photography!) made it near impossible to measure an exact RGB from the image, even after downsizing the color count to 256.

Here are crops (before color palate compression) from the tail flash on 61-0025 "Shack Rabbit", I agree the outer bands do seem to be approximately the same color:

TGR_R.jpg.5286bf73a60ee51e4ad0979f4c7951ac.jpg

TGR_L.jpg.5da9e5f54cf7084fe43793d3c0ca6b37.jpg

(yes the out of the phone compression and resolution is that bad)

however in this crop of the nose art on 60-0057 "Something Special" I can make out a green stripe between the blue and yellow:

TGR_W.jpg.bc38a199609649402d88aabf36d71443.jpg

3 hours ago, KursadA said:

Still useful to see what previous sheets looked like, though - I have never seen the TGR sheet. Thanks for sharing it.

Check your email 🙂

@habu2, I meant  no criticism whatsoever and apologize if my post sounded like it. And I agree with you that when the TGR decals were released ~30 years ago for the AMT kit, both were "state of the art."  Nor do I criticize the kit, AM or decal makers at the time. They did the best with what resources they had available. (Good, Fast, Cheap; pick two of the three.)  I have been building kits since the early 1970s, and was happy to call my OOTB efforts with a few aftermarket parts or decals "good enough" back in the day. But, if Kursad can make an accurate decal for whatever subject, God bless him and the whole modeling community.  I may be better served selling my entire stash and then just purchasing one at a time: the best kit, AM, and decals for one project and just finish it before repeating the steps for the next project. It would save a ton of storage space. 🤪

And yes, "Someplace Special" did have a full color rainbow on the nose, so that is correct.

Edited by Dutch
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming late to this party.  I appreciate you covering one of my favorite subjects, Kursad, especially the jets based at KI Sawyer and Wurtsmith.  I was actually at the KI Sawyer museum this past summer and wish I would have been turned on to this thread then as they still have a useful library there with many one of a kind photos (in old school albums) that may have had some useful photos.  Too little, too late.  For what it's worth here are some photos from the museum sign with the rainbow though I am not sure they checked reference photos when painting the signs.  Looking forward to these releases.

IMG_20220724_142512514.jpg

IMG_20220724_142519848.jpg

16 hours ago, fessSto said:

Coming late to this party.  I appreciate you covering one of my favorite subjects, Kursad, especially the jets based at KI Sawyer and Wurtsmith.  I was actually at the KI Sawyer museum this past summer and wish I would have been turned on to this thread then as they still have a useful library there with many one of a kind photos (in old school albums) that may have had some useful photos.  Too little, too late.  For what it's worth here are some photos from the museum sign with the rainbow though I am not sure they checked reference photos when painting the signs.  Looking forward to these releases. Also would live some 1/48 87 FIS F-106 decals someday. 

IMG_20220724_142512514.jpg

IMG_20220724_142519848.jpg

I want to there some day also. Grew up in Wisconsin and spent many vacations in northern Wisconsin, their 52’s were always flying overhead. AF recruiter out of Green Bay did take some of us delayed recruits to the air shows in 92 and 93. I bet that museum has some awesome pictures. Not sure if it’s too late for Kursad to contact the museum. Some photos show a lot of models in it. Am sure they would be interested in some after market decals.

https://kishamuseum.org/

Edited by USAFsparkchaser
Add info
  • 2 weeks later...

Ten options on CD72097 - coming in April. Soo much work went into this - hopefully you will like it.

Obviously there are separate sheets for stencilling and serial numbers - almost identical to the setup of CD72077.

cd72097.jpg

YES!!!!

This is huge! Thank you so much for doing this sheet!

I know we were a pain in your butt sometimes Kursad, same with Dark Vark sheet probably, but you came through AGAIN!

I probably sound a bit over the top but man, this makes me happy!

With the material that Chris and everyone else helpfully sent me, there are enough subjects for at least one more sheet like this. If this one sells fast enough I will be motivated to release another SAC B-52G/H sheet as soon as this is sold out. But the next B-52 sheet I will release will be the "tall tail" sheet in both 1/72 and 1/144 in summer; and another current/recent -H sheet in the fall.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

With the material that Chris and everyone else helpfully sent me, there are enough subjects for at least one more sheet like this. If this one sells fast enough I will be motivated to release another SAC B-52G/H sheet as soon as this is sold out. But the next B-52 sheet I will release will be the "tall tail" sheet in both 1/72 and 1/144 in summer; and another current/recent -H sheet in the fall.

Sounds awesome.!