Please delete

Nino, 

The scheme is correct. The aircraft in question was with the 318th Fighter Squadron, squadron color was red, of the 325th Fighter Group (The Checkertails) operating in the Med.

In the Squadron Signal book on the unit it has a few B/W photos of -D and -B model Mustangs with dark painted wingtips which seem to match the dark painted nose. I assume it to be red. Also the yellow on the wings are the theater markings and again can be seen in photos painted as above, The only thing I could not discern was the red fuselage stripe aft of the national insignia  and the yellow stripe after the red nose.

I would go with the scheme as shown as there is enough info to verify the scheme. Hope it helps, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Cheers,:cheers:

Itch

Considering all the photos you post showing checkers on the wingtips also lack the name on the cowl, it is obvious that the markings changed over time.  I'd go with the Eduard instructions unless/until you find a photo with the name on the cowl that contradicts them. 

4 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

Thank you sir. So it can be, that they overpainted those wing tips after they put nose art of Mary Mac?

That’s one possibility. The other would be that the name was removed (airplane assigned to a new pilot) and the checkers painted over the red/yellow tips. 

The Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D canopy will sit correctly in the open position, but that kit has some other things that might turn you off it (shallow main wheel wells and raised flaps), but it builds up pretty easily overall and doesn’t look bad when done. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200132330627690&set=a.10200128978503889&type=3&theater

Nino,

I concur with Joe H that the checkered wingtip was painted over the red and yellow striping  and the nose art was removed when the aircraft was transferred to another pilot. So go with your original scheme including the red line at the national insignia and yellow line on the nose. Good luck.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little hard to tell for sure, but I'd say either octagonal tread or oval tread. You can see samples in 1/48 scale from Ultracast here:

https://www.ultracast.ca/1-48-P-51-Mustang-s/114.htm

Do bear in mind that the same plane probably had different tires at different times. There are also clear photos of planes with two different tires at the same time.

It is also possible that after "Mary mac" was shot down a replacement airframe was marked as aircraft "40" and this new one had the checkered tips.

As stated above, I would trust Eduard's instructions. A model is a snapshot in time and planes changed drasticaly over the course of their lives, especially in WWII.

Sean