ARC Discussion Forums

Hello my brothers modelers.

Can someone of Mustang experts help me which gun sight is here on this photo.

mmweqwe.jpg

Thank you.

I want to make this P-51 from Eduard in 1/48 scale.And in Royal Class, there is this paint scheme,but I am a little bit worried is this correct paint scheme what Eduard have put inside.

Because I have never seen on any photo this wing tip colors like they put in manual.

I have seen colors where wing tip are in same pattern like tail,black and yellow check boards.

So please,mustang experts,please tell me is this painting scheme correct?Thank you. ūüôā

Bez-naslova.png

Nino, 

The scheme is correct. The aircraft in question was with the 318th Fighter Squadron, squadron color was red, of the 325th Fighter Group (The Checkertails) operating in the Med.

In the Squadron Signal book on the unit it has a few B/W photos of -D and -B model Mustangs with dark painted wingtips which seem to match the dark painted nose. I assume it to be red. Also the yellow on the wings are the theater markings and again can be seen in photos painted as above, The only thing I could not discern was the red fuselage stripe aft of the national insignia  and the yellow stripe after the red nose.

I would go with the scheme as shown as there is enough info to verify the scheme. Hope it helps, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Cheers,:cheers:

Itch

45 minutes ago, Cajun21 said:

Nino, 

The scheme is correct. The aircraft in question was with the 318th Fighter Squadron, squadron color was red, of the 325th Fighter Group (The Checkertails) operating in the Med.

In the Squadron Signal book on the unit it has a few B/W photos of -D and -B model Mustangs with dark painted wingtips which seem to match the dark painted nose. I assume it to be red. Also the yellow on the wings are the theater markings and again can be seen in photos painted as above, The only thing I could not discern was the red fuselage stripe aft of the national insignia  and the yellow stripe after the red nose.

I would go with the scheme as shown as there is enough info to verify the scheme. Hope it helps, looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Cheers,:cheers:

Itch

Thank you very much dear friend, but I have found some photos or real aircraft and it is confusing me very much,about wing tips, please check those photos.As of red and yellow stripes around nose and tail,they are clearly visible here on photos,only problem is wing tips,because they look different than Eduard have shown.Does anyone have any photo of "Mary Mac" where is those wingtip visible,like in Eduard's manual?

cid-351-D242175924-D52-AE4648-B5701-F1-E mm1.jpg mm4.jpg mm6.jpg mmweqwe.jpg

Edited by Nino_Belov

Considering all the photos you post showing checkers on the wingtips also lack the name on the cowl, it is obvious that the markings changed over time.  I'd go with the Eduard instructions unless/until you find a photo with the name on the cowl that contradicts them. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Considering all the photos you post showing checkers on the wingtips also lack the name on the cowl, it is obvious that the markings changed over time.  I'd go with the Eduard instructions unless/until you find a photo with the name on the cowl that contradicts them. 

Thank you sir. So it can be, that they overpainted those wing tips after they put nose art of Mary Mac?

And one more thing about P-51 kit,on every model kit,canopy cover ,is not standing in good position,lover rear side of the canopy,needs to touch fuselage,I have never seen any model kit in 1/48 scale that this is done correct,am I correct,or this is just some mind game with myself?

4 hours ago, Nino_Belov said:

Thank you sir. So it can be, that they overpainted those wing tips after they put nose art of Mary Mac?

That’s one possibility. The other would be that the name was removed (airplane assigned to a new pilot) and the checkers painted over the red/yellow tips. 

The Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D canopy will sit correctly in the open position, but that kit has some other things that might turn you off it (shallow main wheel wells and raised flaps), but it builds up pretty easily overall and doesn’t look bad when done. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200132330627690&set=a.10200128978503889&type=3&theater

I dont know if this can be fixed on Eduards kit,because I didnt started it yet,and I dont know how it will turn out,there is a lot of work until installing canopy on model.Or,maybe modelers dont put it on model as it should be...I dont know...

Edited by Nino_Belov

I have checked instruction completly and my judge is that it can be built in correct position...canopy.Also Eduard brassin wheels are in correct dimensions,because tyre 27SC is in dimensions 27,5"x9,75".And when one scale it down in 1/48 scale they are correct in hundreds part of milimeter.So brothers modelers please dont hurry with build.

Also,tail wheel is in correct position 100%,checked with the owner of real Stang bird.

And on this build one can see that canopy is standing correct.

So here is photos of real bird and three photos of finished model kit of Eduard.

north-american-p51-mustang-monoplane-fig north-american-p51-mustang-monoplane-fig 

KAMO-C-03.jpg KAMO-C-00.jpg tcp51dd.jpg

So Eduard really made perfect kit...

Please correct if I am wrong.Thank you.

Edited by Nino_Belov

Nino,

I concur with Joe H that the checkered wingtip was painted over the red and yellow striping  and the nose art was removed when the aircraft was transferred to another pilot. So go with your original scheme including the red line at the national insignia and yellow line on the nose. Good luck.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

7 hours ago, Cajun21 said:

Nino,

I concur with Joe H that the checkered wingtip was painted over the red and yellow striping  and the nose art was removed when the aircraft was transferred to another pilot. So go with your original scheme including the red line at the national insignia and yellow line on the nose. Good luck.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

Thank you sir.

Please check this report.

This is very confusing,and that is the main reason why I am asking for assistance for this project.Please check these scans:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Edited by Nino_Belov

Since the report was made in 30. of april, 1945.,and it is saying that aircraft with nickname "Mary Mac" was shot down in april the 2nd ,1945,and that the pilot in this flight was 1st Lt.Paul J. Murphy,which had probably over painted aircraft which was first painted like in Eduard's manual.The real "Mary Mac" (first) with nose art was flown by pilot Lt.Gordon H. McDaniel,and probaly when aircraft was signed to other pilot to 1st Lt.Paul J. Murphy,then the red and yellow stripes on the wings was over painted,and nose art "Mary Mac" was removed,also the kill marks,and after almost a one month the aircraft have been shot down.