How about an early F4H Phantom II sheet in 1/48 & 1/72?

Kursad,

Now that Brigade Models had released their 1/48 YF4H-1 Phantom prototype resin conversion set, perhaps a "early" F4H / F-4H-1 Phantom II decal is in order? Falcon still has their vacuum formed set available from New Zealand.  1/72 may have to wait until we get a decent conversion.  I will ask Hannants.co.uk if they can persuade Airwaves to resurrect the old DB Productions set in both 1/48 & 1/72. Oh btw, I have some very good and interesting early Phantom references, if you need them.  

K/r, Dutch 

002.JPG.fd05d44f804a495666ac1c40e336505d.JPG

Edited by Dutch
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Now that Brigade Models had released their 1/48 F4H-1 Phantom prototype resin conversion set, perhaps a "early" F4H / F-4H-1 Phantom II decal is in order? Falcon still has their set available from New Zealand.  1/72 may have to wait until we get a decent conversion.  I will ask Hannants.co.uk if they can persuade Airwaves to resurrect the old DB Productions set. Oh btw, I have some very good and interesting early Phantom references, if you need them.  

K/r, Dutch 

Link for the Brigade F4H-1? All I see are wargame figures on the Brigade Models website.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:40 PM, sierrascale said:

Link for the Brigade F4H-1? All I see are wargame figures on the Brigade Models website.

Here is link to Hannantc.co.uk.  And the BrigadeModels.co.uk website is indeed a toy soldier wargaming site.  Hmm, according to SCM, Brigade Models does not have a website link., so I think Hannants is your best bet.  I placed my F4H-1 set on backorder around the middle of last year and received it in early Sep timeframe.  HTH, Dutch

Hi,

For me, these early Phantoms are so cool that I would definitely buy the sheet. Even if the possibility of me ever building one are quite remote. 

That said,...

Dutch, what is the Brigade Models conversion set like?

Does it feel like a high quality product? To me (and most of us I guess), 39.99£ is not exactly cheap.

Does it look like you have everything in there to make an F4H-1?

Cheers, Stefan.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, KursadA said:

This could work - particularly if the sheet covers F-110A and other USAF prototype/early service markings. Stay tuned.

Hi Kursad!

I would like too nominate a candidate for a possible F-4 prototype sheet. How about adding the markings for the NASA F-4 Phantom (145313)? While this was a late F-4A, to all extents it was a F-4B in configuration so can be built in both 1/72 and 1/48 using existing kits. The markings are standard very early NAVY markings for the F-4B with the exception of the NASA tail marking seen in the hanger photo. There is a cool story about one of its missions which was to fly a container of frogs in the back seat for  research on weightlessness. Not only is this a very unusually marked Phantom but it is a can't resist model for we NASA aircraft fans!

Have fun modeling

Mike

F-4A 145313 362705main_E-14209_full (Small).jpg

Stefan, 

My Brigade set is in the closet,  but I will get it out in a couple of days and post photos.  I  think it only depicts the first two prototype YF4H-1 (BuNos 142259 and 142260). Hence my purchase of the Falcon Vac set as well. The configuration of the early F4H-1s was constantly changing, with different intake ramp designs,  NACA verses scoop cooling inlets, radar nose shapes, cockpit configuration, etc...  So careful study is required for the particular aircraft and the timeframe desired. Busy now, but will devote a little more time later. 

K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

I just spent the last two hours digging through my F4H material, including the Tommy Thomason book, several Smoke Trails, a few old b&w monographs, and some McAir material.  I have not yet started going through my periodicals and IPMS journals. Somewhere,  I have a whole article on the evolution of the intakes somewhere around here. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch