Hasegawa 1:48 F-4G, 561st TFS, Desert Storm

time to return to some Desert Storm builds ...

This build is gonna represent this plane from the 561st TFS, 35th TFW(P)

8BKyY9h.jpg

I will build mine with the standard load-out, 3 fuel tanks, 2 HARMs, 2 Sparrows, 1 ALQ-184

some progress pics:

dry-fitting the Black Box  F-4G cockpit set

GFTwfNM.jpg

pylon, with modified flare dispenser, sway braces from a Hobbyboss kit, and adaptor

2q7t6M9.jpg

Edited by Benner
  • 3 weeks later...

Will be an awesome end-product, Benner.  I did one way back in 1985.  There was no aftermarket for it and George AFB was still open, using the Euro 1 camo scheme.  I spent quite a number of hours detailing each seat, adding swaybraces, safety pins, etc.  Painted with MM FS colors and the  radome was then new Tamiya semi-gloss blacks.  Much use was also made of then Metalizer® paints for the titanium burner areas and their awesome "smoke" for making the typical soot all over the same area.  Mirrors, compass cards, I think I added a landing gear handle. 

It's a great kit and went together well. 

148F4GWWclose small 01b.jpg

On 2/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Will be an awesome end-product, Benner.  I did one way back in 1985.  There was no aftermarket for it and George AFB was still open, using the Euro 1 camo scheme.  I spent quite a number of hours detailing each seat, adding swaybraces, safety pins, etc.  Painted with MM FS colors and the  radome was then new Tamiya semi-gloss blacks.  Much use was also made of then Metalizer® paints for the titanium burner areas and their awesome "smoke" for making the typical soot all over the same area.  Mirrors, compass cards, I think I added a landing gear handle. 

It's a great kit and went together well. 

nice work.  did you put the safety pins in all the areas like landing gear, arrestor hook, ECM dispensers, etc?

here is my slow progress ..

cutting away the ailerons at the moment and using sheet styrene to fill the holes.   Though it is hard to see, a metal AOA probe has been glued onto the nose.  I used the Fine Molds set.

XpzLzCD.jpg

4 hours ago, Benner said:

Though it is hard to see, a metal AOA probe has been glued onto the nose.

You know, gluing the probe on this early is just asking for it to get knocked off, bent and eaten by the carpet monster. Pitot, AOA, and other small probes and antenna are usually some of the last things I'll add to a build. Just saying :whistle:

17 hours ago, Mstor said:

You know, gluing the probe on this early is just asking for it to get knocked off, bent and eaten by the carpet monster. Pitot, AOA, and other small probes and antenna are usually some of the last things I'll add to a build. Just saying :whistle:

I would typically do the same, but with metal parts I haven't had such an issue so I'm not worried.

23 hours ago, Benner said:

nice work.  did you put the safety pins in all the areas like landing gear, arrestor hook, ECM dispensers, etc?

cutting away the ailerons at the moment and using sheet styrene to fill the holes.   Though it is hard to see, a metal AOA probe has been glued onto the nose.  I used the Fine Molds set.

The F-4 uses collars to safe the gear and I had it posed as either ready-to-launch or just returning.  The EOR crew would've put the safety pins in the MAU-12's before it taxied back to the ramp.  So no arrestor hook pins (I believe it's a bracket with a braided steel cable) and the AN/ALE-40's (Chaff/Flare)  would normally be pinned but I opted to just leave them uninstalled.  That is, the dispensers are not on the pylons. The seats are "safed" with some of the RBF streamers showing but the collars for the canopies are not installed.  Since the parachute pack door is closed, it would have to be "ready-for-launch" I suppose. 

As for ailerons, I found cutting them out after wing halves glued together, used EVERGREEN® styrene tubes that match in width to top/bottom of control surface, glued to the front of the aileron and then filled with modest amounts of putty. 

The AOA probes you have a sweet.  I used hypodermic tubing for pitot probes...two different sizes for the nose and vertical stab. 

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

Benner!  Good to see that you are still churning them out, my friend.

Man, I just picked up the Speed Hunter Combat Weasels sheet last week.  You can never have enough Phantoms.

Hi Ish!  I took a hiatus of a couple years or so from DS builds, had been doing Star Wars kits.  But back to Desert Storm for a while.

Here's the progress so far.  Gonna airbrush the sprayed over unit markings that would go on the intakes, and the black on the nose, then it's ready for a coat of Future.

xqhCIK4.jpg

… almost done.  Stabilizers are dry fitted, canopies to work on, and nose gear cover to glue on.

Am getting ready for my next Gulf War build, a re-do of a RAF Tornado

QWJqKas.jpg

Edited by Benner